Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:14 AM   #1

http://modifierwong.tabulas.com/

I just received my TZ5 , and decided to share my own thoughts on the camera to help you all out in deciding whether you should plunk down some cash on the TZ5. I find hands-on reviews severly lacking. My review does not contain any scientific tests, nor does it even have many sample pictures. I figured you can always find those from other places.

My review touches upon the actual usage of the camera for those mainly interested in taking a great picture without caring much to zoom into their photos and pick out every fine detail. I don't consider myself to be a professional photographer, rather someone who would rather hit a button and let the camera sort itself out. However, I did do a lot of research before finally deciding on the TZ5.

On a final note, the sample HD videos you can find online make the camera look bad. After changing a few settings, it turns out much better! Cheers! :|

modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:55 AM   #2

Hello Tim! Very nice review! You pointed out what i have read in other reviews too:- changing the AF mode is a good solution for the autofocus-problem!

Where can I find a link to your own video (HD) samples of the TZ5? I am very interested in other samples, i have only found this here in internet since now:

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...e01_tz5_4.html <-- is this here really recordedby a TZ5 or do you think it is optimized

other question please: which cable did you buy to conect the cam to the TV? The original "HD Komponentenkabel DMW-HDC2E" is very expensive... (39 Euro)

The body of the TZ5 looks like made complete of plastics, is that right?

Thanks and have a nice sunday!

Nutellaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the compliment! I haven't posted any video samples online, but I can tell you that Panasonic's own sample that you linked me to is a good representation of what the camera can take. Of course, the video probably had perfect lighting, but even in so-so lighting, it does a pretty good job.

About the cable...I never bought one. I don't have an HDTV and just play it back on my computer. It does come with a cable with RCA video and audio output.

And actually, I had to second guess myself trying to figure out what the body is made of. It feels so solid that its almost like metal. But alas, it is just plain old plastic. Cheers!

Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:13 PM   #4

Thanks, if your videos and experiences are comparable to the sample provided by panasonic, we can be satisfied

I was in two minds about material, the cam in fact feels solid, it is a pity that they by now only use plastics. Features get better an better, but build quality in most products gets worse oder cheaper.

Cheers!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:01 AM   #5

Hello! One naive question please Can i connect the TZ5 (and the data/videos on the inserted memorystick) directly to the computer without a optional sdhc-cardreader? A adequate USB Cable is provided in the standard equippment?

I am unsteady to buy a card reader or not. Maybe a apart card reader is in most situations needless?

Thank you for help!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6

No need for a card reader. It comes with a USB cable, though I'm not sure if its USB 1.1 or 2.0. HD video files get really big, really easily.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:21 PM   #7

Hi Iliked your review

the dmc-hc2 component cable to replay 720p on hd tv is not in stock in the UK panasonic shop either sales or accessories. cost aproc £32 + pp ( 40euros in europe)and is not due in for about 12 weeks

really annoying --all the other Mag. reviews go on about this facility but --no cable then!!!! this is not good Panasonic ---but the camera seems good.

If you want one quick and cheap then try fotosence.co.uk-- ordered at 3:10pm--advised by them by e-mail-- despatched at 5m --in post--delivered next morning at 8:10am yes in the morning--some service

If I find this cable I will post info--
jerrryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:08 PM   #8

Yesterday, I was lucky to attend a formal event, a great place to test out my new camera with bad lighting and tough shots everywhere. I'll post pictures soon.

Just from my first looks at the pictures, it was able to take great indoor shots without washing out the background, and the Image stabilization allowing night scenery to be taken quite well! Again, most pictures were taken in iA automatic mode.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9

Hallo!

I see, you are still very satisfied with your cam!

Still i'm looking for more HD videos taken with the Panasonic TZ5, can anyone help me or show me a link?

There were posted some videos in another forum a few days ago, but i was too late, now the are erased

thx
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:51 PM   #10

Here's one night picture by the riverside. Notice the high amount of 'iso fuzz' This was done using the fully automatic iA mode, with the camera placed on a garbage bin as a tripod set on a 10sec timer.

Before taking the picture, the camera sensed that it was in 'night scene' mode and adjusted setting accordingly. On second thought, I would have preferred to set it on normal picture mode and set the max iso to 400 or 800. That would have improved the picture a bit. Then again, I can't really compare how my canon would have taken the same picture. The iA turned on the flash, and cranked the ISO pretty high.

here's a nicely lit picture when it was still bright outside. This photo I had to force the flash to go on in normal picture mode, or else it would just have a bright background and the subject would be black. iA mode wasn't smart enough to turn on the flash in this case.

Indoor picture in bad light, using flash, iA mode.

Macro shot in iA mode. Just a note, in iA, the camera automatically adjusts the camera to macro mode, no need to press a button: