Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:15 AM   #1

Default Olympus C740 or Panasonic DMC FZ1-S?

I know this is Panasonic forum, but which would you recommend for novice housewife with children? Does stabilisers for Pan make big difference at long zoom? Don't you get more red-eye's with Pan? Please help!
Amanda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:18 AM   #2

Default Response from Panasonic

Obviously, I'm biased.. but seriously...
If you've ever shot with a 35mm camera and L O N G lens you know it's difficult. Our stabilizer was designed to minimize the human jitter that occurs when using a long lens. The OIS maximizes at shutter speeds of 1/125 or faster so it's not designed to allow you to take hand held shots at very low light levels.

I obviously have access to all our cameras and the FZ1 is my hands down favorite. I've also been comparing our cams to the Olympus C740 and C750. Our menus are much easier to navigate, we make better use of simple English terms, and the LCD screen is more visible outdoors. I've not done any battery comparisons yet, but I can tell you that I've personally taken over 250 shots with no effort on the FZ1.

BK
Panasonic
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:05 AM   #3

I agree, unless your desperate for the manual controls on the olympus cameras I'd choose the FZ1. The image stabilisation works really well and indeed the menu's are a good deal more legible than the competition. Also you'll find the FZ1 significantly faster to operate. The autofocus speed on the oly's is pritty darn slow by comparison .... by the time you take your 2000th shot this will really annoy you.

As for battery life I've managed 720 pictures on a single charge ... although 250 is more of an 'average use' figure.

I really like the camera.
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:02 AM   #4

Nice to see you here! Welcome
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:59 AM   #5

I agree that FZ1's menu system and buttons design are very good. But Still, I just sold my FZ1 for a Fuji S5000. Now at ISO 200 I'm having much less noise than before, with a much brighter EVF and more accurate auto focusing.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:41 PM   #6

I am surprised that you find the S5000 to have less noise than the FZ1, since several websites (Steves, dpreview and dcresources) all found S5000 having too much compression.

By the way, do you miss the IS when you zoom to the long end?

Ken [/quote]
Braveheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:08 AM   #7

FZ1 needs good lighting to yield excellent result, like outdoor with plenty of light. The photos are perfectly smooth with no visible jpeg artifact. But indoor with dim lighting, that's another story.

I agree that S5000's photos are not perfect. When viewed at original size (100%) on screen (which normal people rarely do unless trying to find fault), there're jpeg artifacts to be seen. But when it's viewed fitting the screen (for my case, 1024x768 LCD), or printed out at 4R or probably slightly larger, it's more than just acceptable compared to my previous good old Olympus C2100UZ.

I'm not sure whether that caused by jpeg compression (which many people claim) or over sharpening. S5000's 3MP photos are at ~800+ KB, it's equivalent to (if not better than) Oly C2100UZ's HQ (2MP at ~450KB) or FZ1's Normal (2MP at ~350KB) which look very smooth.

I trusted too much on the IS before. When I owned the C2100UZ and FZ1, I tried comparing shots with and without IS at full zoom. Not too much difference. And at night, IS wouldn't help at all.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:54 AM   #8

FZ1 needs good lighting to yield excellent result, like outdoor with plenty of light. The photos are perfectly smooth with no visible jpeg artifact. But indoor with dim lighting, that's another story.

Panasonic Responds>
I'm wondering what you might be doing wrong? I generally shoot indoors at ISO 100 and photos taken with the flash within the rated distance ofthe flash look great.

Increasing the ISO rating (equivalent of adding video gain) will add some noise so that's generally not the best approach. If we approach this topic from a basic video standpoint, we can conclude that as the ambient light level decreases, so too does the signal-to noise performance. I've seen many cameras that made a visiblt better image but the noise content was not nearly as good.

I'm not sure whether that caused by jpeg compression (which many people claim) or over sharpening. S5000's 3MP photos are at ~800+ KB, it's equivalent to (if not better than) Oly C2100UZ's HQ (2MP at ~450KB) or FZ1's Normal (2MP at ~350KB) which look very smooth.
<Panasonic Responds>
From the file sizes you give it sounds like you might be set to the higher compression setting. Use lower compression and you should see an improvement.

I trusted too much on the IS before. When I owned the C2100UZ and FZ1, I tried comparing shots with and without IS at full zoom. Not too much difference. And at night, IS wouldn't help at all.

<Panasonic Responds>
I realize now tha your understanding and expectation of our OIS is all wrong. Our Optical Image Stabilization is designed to minimize the "human jitter" < 6-11 hz > that naturally occurs when you use a long telephoto lens. Our system operates at maximum efficiency when the shutter speed is 1/125th or shorter. Below 1/125th the amount of stabilization falls off sharply. It is not intended to allow you to make long hand held exposures, typical of shooting at night or in low light situtions.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
...From the file sizes you give it sounds like you might be set to the higher compression setting. Use lower compression and you should see an improvement.
I meant even with those compression levels, the results were very good. So, why people complain on S5000's compression which is in fact not higher that them (C2100UZ's HQ and FZ1's Normal).
Old Sep 25, 2003, 3:13 PM   #10

Understood.. sory fo rthe misunderstanding..