Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:31 AM   #1

My favorite little camera to take everywhere, from work every day to being slipped into a space in the DSLR bag. A few recent snaps in the downtown Dallas area and Spring shots..

Moon-rise..

"Shaftway"?..

This was shot in the old settlers cemetery, located downtown near the convention center...

From a series of various fire escapes I shot downtown..

The FOX television communications tower, shot mid day..

Azalea walk..

Up a tree..

"Almost" mirror image..

Tulips and Azaleas..

Dogwood Blooms..

end of the day..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:12 AM   #2

Nice series,Garg

My personal fevorite are fire escape, azela walk & Mirror image

Thanks for sharing

Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:06 PM   #3

Real nice work Greg, my favorite is "Up a Tree"

Emmanuel
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 1:18 PM   #4

A Really Nice series, Greg-

Have you given any consideration to the TZ-5 yet? Is it that big an improvement over the TZ-3?

Your excellent photos have sold be on the "take it anywhere" ability of the TZ-series. Yep, I considered the FZ-50, but agter handling the camera, I realized how really large it was. So once again, I am thinking small.

Thanks in advance for your comments? Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:57 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
A Really Nice series, Greg-

Have you given any consideration to the TZ-5 yet? Is it that big an improvement over the TZ-3?

Your excellent photos have sold be on the "take it anywhere" ability of the TZ-series. Yep, I considered the FZ-50, but agter handling the camera, I realized how really large it was. So once again, I am thinking small.

Thanks in advance for your comments? Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce

Thank you for your comments,Sarah!

I've been following closely the comments and images taken with the TZ5 over on the Panasonic forum at DPreview. There are several things about the TZ5 that look to be substantially better than the TZ3...

The image quality at ISO 400 looks much, much better, which is "good enough" for me most of the time. Even ISO 800, for a small camera (other than the Fuji F31!)looks good. Take a look at this guy's concert images shot at ISO 400 and 800. The full sized images can be pulled up..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6226890...7604495224946/

You can select a minimum shutter speed from a range of 1-1/2000 second! I hate it that the TZ3 seems to always pick 1/30 second when you try and use the flash indoors. Now you can select a minimum speed of, say, 1/60 or 1/125, which will give many a better chance of sharp images.

The extra resolution in review mode, 460,000 pixels, evidently gives a gorgeous replay on the LCD from all the comments I've seen.

It sounds like they have instituted the two speed zoom option of the FZ8/18...slow for when you want to be more exact with your settingor fast if you want to get from 28mm to 280mm faster.

The extended optical zoom button allows you to go into the extended optical zoom range much more conveniently than calling up the quick menu and reducing the resolution.

The intelligent Auto seems to be doing a better job of handling highlights.

I still wish there was an AE lock for times like when I would be taking an image of someone with a background where I wanted to lock the meter reading separate from focus, but situations like that may be where I would usethe face detection feature. For general landscapes I don't worry about it since the depth of field is so huge...I just point the camera where I want to meter and let the 9-point AF system focus wherever.

I have an upcoming trip with my girfriend to St. Croix USVI which I know, after several nice seafood dinners, is going to wind up costing a little bit of money(!), or I know I already would have bought a TZ5, but it can wait for a little while longer.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:23 PM   #6

Thank you Greg-

I really appreciate your comments. If anyone were to know the correct score on this choice, I knew you would. It sounds like the changes are substantial enough to make the TZ-5the better choice. So, I will make the jump from my TZ-1 to the TZ-5. That meets my needs nicely. Thanks!

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote