Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:47 AM   #11

Wow... What a post you made here... It got me quite happy to see that I'll be able to keep the TZ5 and acheive good looking pics..

No, from what I know, this Pany has no option for noise reduction...

Can you tell me which tool you used for noise reduction ?

Also, can you post final result of the pic you edited please ?
maxaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:54 PM   #12

There are a lot of barrel distortion and noice in the pics, sorry to say, since I thought of getting a TZ5 as a camera to carry around for every day use.

The barrel distorsion is worse than in my FZ18.

//Daniel.
daniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:03 PM   #13

maxaudet,

For some reason I couldn't upload the full picture so I cut out a 1000x1000 section.

This is the unmodified original.

This section was cut out of the picture after noise reduction and exposure adjustment.

I used Neat Image v5.5 for noise reduction and just increased the gamma value to improve the exposure.
It was just a quick test. I didn't do any playing around for best results.

dpart90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 3:40 PM   #14

daniell wrote:
Quote:
There are a lot of barrel distortion and noice in the pics, sorry to say, since I thought of getting a TZ5 as a camera to carry around for every day use.

The barrel distorsion is worse than in my FZ18.

//Daniel.
Daniel,

That barrel distortion is really impressive isn't it.

I wonder if you zoom from the 28mm to 35mm (35mm equivalent) does the distortion disappear?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:44 PM   #15

dpart90 wrote:
Quote:
maxaudet,

For some reason I couldn't upload the full picture so I cut out a 1000x1000 section.

This is the unmodified original.

This section was cut out of the picture after noise reduction and exposure adjustment.

I used Neat Image v5.5 for noise reduction and just increased the gamma value to improve the exposure.
It was just a quick test. I didn't do any playing around for best results.

Hum.. There is a big difference between the 2 pics... For me, the result of the modified pic is more acceptable than the original one...

So you think it's "normal" that I got so much noise because it's the way this TZ5 is made ? I think I'll keep it but I am still a bit deceived by it... IMHO, it's the only default this camera has ... The rest is just WOW...

I think i'll buy this software and do batch processing..
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:12 PM   #16

maxaudet,

I really don't know if it's "normal"or not. I don't own a TZ5.

I've been doing a lot of comparisons between cameras and have very nearly decided to buy a TZ5.

One interesting fact that I found on one of the camera test/review forums was that the TZ5 shows less noise at ISO 200 than it does at ISO 100. Very strange.

I wish there was a manual for the TZ5 online so I could see just what you can set in-camera and what you can't.

Perhaps if you could go to a store that had a TZ5 on display, they might let you take a picture with theirs using your SD cardand then take the same picture with your TZ5.

When you compare them at home and if their picture is better, it might be that their camera is set to factory default settings and yours has some setting changed.

If that's the case you can set yours back to factory default.

If everything is the same with the cameras and their picture is better, then youprobably have a bad camera.

Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:14 PM   #17

I like to idea of going in store but it would be a bit difficult since I bought the cam online from Abe's of Maine .. Here in Canada, only FutureShop now have this cam and sells it for $400 when I paid $296 at Abe's

Take a look at the pic I uploaded... This one has been took using full auto mode and IMHO looks really good with no noise... I dont know why some pics got that much noise...

Do you guys think taking pics at 5mpx instead of 9mpx would help for my "noise problem" ? For me, 5mpx is enough...
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:23 PM   #18

maxaudet,

This last picture looksvery good to me.

I've wondered the same thing about setting the camera to take 5meg pictures instead of 9meg.

I perfectly happy with 5meg pictures.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:27 PM   #19

dpart90 wrote:
Quote:
maxaudet,

This last picture looksvery good to me.

I've wondered the same thing about setting the camera to take 5meg pictures instead of 9meg.

I perfectly happy with 5meg pictures.
Sorry if i wasn't clear.. this pic looks very good to me too... I am just wondering why they dont all look that good !!

Maybe Sarah could answer us about the 5 vs 9meg pictures..

Other than that, it is a very good digicam in my opinion... The zoom is excellent and for a zoom that bug, the cam is really compact. Battery life looks very good to but I only have the ca mfor 1 week. HD movies are a big plus also.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:22 PM   #20

Max-

Your latest sample looks much better. Once again, it is statistically impossible to compare 5mp images with 9mp images. There are 4,000,000 more pixels present and that in truth, makes it really impossible to compare the two images. This is the apples versus oranges scenario, that we spoke about earlier.

I cannot be 100% positive, but I think that your TZ-5 is just fine. Here is a good photo example of what the TZ-5 can do without flash indoors. I took this photo this morning, while grocery shopping in the nursery department. I used the normal mode, turned the flash off, raised the ISO setting to 800, and added EV +0.3.

The result was a very pleasing photo. Max give your TZ-5 a chance, and I think you will be just fine.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote