Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:35 PM   #21

I am just wondering why all pictures dont look as good as this one...
maxaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:48 PM   #22

Max-

Please excuse me, I am a bit confused?? Are you referring to the Hybrid Lilly shot thatI posted, or your own last posted photo?

Please understand that photography is a learned art. I have spent almost 60 years learning photography and am still going strong. And just like concert pianists we get progressively better and better by practicing every single day.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:57 PM   #23

I was refering to my own pic...

I know it's an art but I was only wondering why my old Canon were taking better looking pics than my new Pany...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:30 PM   #24

Max, my friend-

If you honestly take a good look at the photos that your TZ-5 is producing, you will see, rather clearly, that the TZ-5 is beating the old Canon hands down.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:36 PM   #25

That is one of my top whish fow now...
I found a product called Noise Ninja that helps a lot...

I'm getting more and more happy of this cam ... thank you for your help and keep up posting your pictures!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 1:12 PM   #26

The TZ5 has noise reduction built into the camera at every ISO....yes even at low ISO so you are going to get noise whether you like it or not.
Aristoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 1:38 PM   #27

Aristoc-

I entirely correct. That is part and parcel of the Venus IV processor. Just keep in mind the old rule of thumb: photos taken in good outdoor lighting reduces NR effect the most. When the light level falls you will have to use either the ambient light or a flash. When the light level is reduced, that is when you are most probably going to see NR detail smearing and the loss of fine detail. This lower light level problem can be overcome by getting the exposure really correct.

When the light levels decrease, that is the time to switch from the iA Mode to the normal Mode on your TZ-5. In the Normal Mode you have much more control over the exposure and the ISO used.

Take a look at the attached existing light photo, taken in the Floral Department of a local supermarket. It was taken without flash, in the Normal Mode with the ISO set to 800, using just the ambient light available. However after analyzing the ambient light which came mostly from overhead sodium vapor lamps mounted about 20 to 25 feet above my photo environment and from a pencil spot light on the display above the flowers, I opted to add EV+0.3, to more precisely hit the exposure.

The result was a good photo right out of the TZ-5 with a minimum of NR artefacts.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Sarah and everyone,
Quote:
For me, all of the discussion of whether there is excessive noise in a particular picture or not is an interesting intellectual exercise.
Quote:
But when trying to decide whether to buy the camera or not the main question in my mind is "can it produce as good a picture as I want.
Quote:
I searched on the flickr photo site, where I have an account, and found many dozens of beautiful pictures shot with the TZ5. You gorgeous flower picture confirms that the TZ5 is a very capable camera. Now the fun for me is to figure out how to get it to take that quality of picture with me at the controls. It's just trial and error and taking lots of pictures. What could more fun than that?
dpart90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:18 PM   #29

dpart-

As a professional digital camera instructor, I heartily applaud your attitude and your approach to a new camera. Whether is is a new camera, a new car, a new appliance, or a new small business, there is an acknowledged "learning curve."

What we get out of that learning curve is simply a bit of learning, and some very valid experience that we use to get even better photos from our cameras It is a delight to hear that you are looking forward to that learning curve.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:32 PM   #30

Sarah,

For me a new camera is like a brand new toy on Christmas morning.

I've worked in the electronics field my entire career so I'm used to figuring out new gear, but I'm just amazed by these little technological wonders.

I even enjoy reading the manuals.

Doug

dpart90 is offline   Reply With Quote