Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:47 PM   #1

Hi all,

I just got my new Pana TZ5 to replace my old Canon S410.. The main reasons I bought this digicam are
- Big zoom in a small package
- 28mm
- From reviews, very good OIS

From the pictures I saw on the net (flickr has some of them) I saw that there was something like noise in almost all pictures... or blur.. I dont know how to say it... something I dont have on my canon but it wasn't that much so it was OK for me since nothing is perfect.

Download this file which contains 6 JPGs.
2 differents "tests" ... Canon 4mpx, Panny 5mpx, Panny 9mpx ...
Pics taken from the panny were using the all auto-ai with flash in auto mode also.

I am a bit deceived by the results so far... Give me your opinions.. I'll also take some daylight pics tomorrow

http://wikisend.com/download/823938/Tests.zip
maxaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2

Max-

Just relax and enjoy your new camera. The TZ-5 is a great camera. Now is the time to get very comfortable and profecient with your camera. Post a few photos. I am sure that we can help you.

Now is the time to enjoy. Have a great tomorrow!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:16 AM   #3

Yes, you are so right...
But you what it is... You look at every single net review, forums posts, etc... You almost carry a pic of it in your wallet and when you finally got it, you take some pictures and they dont look that good...

I'll do that and keep you informed!
thank you and have a nice day too
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:46 AM   #4

Max-

We all want to somehow, some day get that so called, "perfect photo." Photographers have to think of themselves just as if the were concert pianists. It takes constant and daily practice to improve our photo proficiency. Personally, I love the challenge, and attempt to learn something new that will move me ahead each day.

Have a great day, and take a photo or two!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:55 PM   #5

Here are some other tests I dont ... All using the full auto mode. And I took shots with my Canon S410 at the same time...

I am still deceived with the quality of the pics... Look at the noise on the walls... I really dont like that...

Do you guys think I may have got a defective unit ?

THIS IS THE TZ5

THIS IS MY CANON

You can download other tests here :
http://wikisend.com/download/852822/OTHERTESTS.zip

What do you think ??

Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:46 PM   #6

Max-

I went over your two posted photos carefully. I honestly believe that your TZ-5 is most probably OK. However, giving me a bunch of wires to work with puts me at a real disadvantage.

Take a look at this photo and in the thread called "Post Your TZ-5 Photos" There you will see TZ-5 photos with well defined details. My suggestion is that you use your TZ-5 in the iA Mode and give me a few photos where I can evaluate detail and the noise in the photo.

I am always happy to help out.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:57 PM   #7

Look at the noise we see on the walls...

Hey Sarah, you may download my 2 zip files (1st post and the post where I posted the pictures)... I can assure you this is no virus thing.. Both contains 3 pictures so you'll be able to see for yourself.

Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:16 PM   #8

Hey Max,
I share your feeling, I too have a TZ-5, and have a canon digicam to compare with. I was also shocked until I figured it out. But do not worry, its just being picky that causes you to see the problems.
Firstly, you can't purely look at the pictures and call the TZ5 photo bad. Take a step back...

Don't take my word for it, but here's my engineering logic: Because the TZ5 photos are much higher resolution, you can fit more pixels into the same picture. When you view the pictrues in their respective Native resolution, you are certainly going to see more flaws in t he higher resolution picture because there's more detail.
Now, to prove my logic, view the canon photo at its native resolution (if possible) then zoom the TZ5 photo out until it matches the physical size. I'm sure you'll notice the pictures to be very similar in clarity. Now, to show that the TZ5 does not have excessive iso fuzz, view the TZ5 picture at its native resolution and zoom into the Canon picture until the physical size matches. You will definitely notice similarities in the iso fuzz, with the TZ5 picture probably being clearer.

Its just like buying a new car and complaining that the cup holder is a few inches farther than your old car. Don't look at the individual things, check out the whole picture. Maybe that cupholder is actually in a better ergonomic position...
modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:19 PM   #9

Modifier Wong-

You have capsulated the problem with the two photos very precisely. You have to compare apples to apples. You have to have comparison example photos that are the same resolution. Otherwise, you are comparing apples with oranges.

Max's camera is most probably not defective I believe, we just have to have the proper comparison photos. Can you help us out, Max with some very detailed photos from your new TZ-5. Thanks!

Thanks, Modifier!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:09 AM   #10

maxaudet,

I see exactly what you are talking about.

I loaded both house pictures in my photo editor and did all the adjustments and visual tests that modifierwong rightly suggested. I do see much more noise in the Pany picture.

I think the difference is the amount of noise reduction performed by each camera.

I ran the Pany photo through a simple noise reduction and it actually looked better that the Canon photo, except I think the Canon photo was better exposed.

When I bumped up the exposure of the Pany photo to match the Canon photo, they looked nearly identical except to my eyes the Pany photo looked a little better, with more detail.

So no, I don't think anything is wrong with your camera, it just doesn't reduce the noise in-camera as aggressively as the Canon does.

Is there a camera setting on the TZ5 to increase the noise reduction?
dpart90 is offline   Reply With Quote