Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:56 PM   #21

Thanks a lot, Steve-

It will be a busy time for us from now through the end of July. The we get three weeks off before we go at it again. Thanks for the great FZ-18 bird photos. Steve, you are great with bird photos, and I really admire your talent.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:26 PM   #22

My patience is at an end....ordered my blueTZ5 tonight.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:30 PM   #23

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
My patience is at an end....ordered my blueTZ5 tonight.
Good thing too Greg. With Sarah off for awhile you will have to take over the picture posting here.

Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:40 PM   #24

Steve-

I would be ever so proud if greg chappell took over this thread. He is really a great photographer and very experienced with the TZ-3. I am sure he will do equally well with the fantastic TZ-5.

Thanks, Greg!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:53 AM   #25

It's a fun little camera...

ISO 400..

Yes, there's a story behind this pose, but I'm just posting it here because I'm pretty impressed with the *much" improved flash quality of this camera. Here, I used the ability to set a minimum shutter speed to get a 1/60 shutter speed..

This was a high, high contrast scene, shot mid day with the sun directly overhead and no clouds. I used the iAuto mode just to see how it would handle the scene. It did very well..

This was shot from the fully extended 472mm reach you can get using the extended optical zoom..

Old May 1, 2008, 10:55 PM   #26

Nice shots Greg. Thanks for sharing. That zoom shot is impressive.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 1:49 AM   #27

Thanks, Steve.

One other feature about the TZ5's flash system I was unaware of is the redeye removal system. I guess I should have known better since so many cameras have that today, but this works very, very well with the TZ5, allowing you to shoot at virtually any focal length without fear of the dreaded redeye effect, which istypically worsethe further away from the wide angle end of the zoom. No enabling it after the shot in review mode.... this corrects it in real time.

An important thing to note for anyone trying to make a decision between the TZ4 and TZ5... this redeye removal systemis one additional feature, added to the high resolution LCD and "real" 16:9 capture that are only available on the TZ5 as noted, as far as I can tell, in one little blurb at the bottom of page 38 of the manual. For anyone interested in making this their only camera, I would not want to be without it, especially for the many individuals who buy cameras like these and don't want to do much/if any, post processing. This tool eliminates one more thing to worry about.

Here are a couple of portraits I took at the office today (ISO 320 in Auto mde)at a redeye inducing 141mm, but no redeye...

Old May 3, 2008, 11:21 PM   #28

A few more from the last day or two...

In thislast image, I was trying to see how far I could stretch the tonal range. I shot this with the exposureweighted towards the sunlit area, but kept part of the spot in the semi-shadowy area to partially include it in the exposure.

In Photoshop CS2 I duplicated the layer and made a level adjustment in the shadows, then using a layer mask, combined the two layers for the optimum result I could obtain from one image, not having a tripod to make and then combine two separate files..

Old May 10, 2008, 12:54 AM   #29

A couple of final TZ5 filesbefore I pack my laptop away....leaving for St. Croix, USVI in a few short hours for a week. Hope to come back with many, many great TZ5 images. Took these this morning as I waited on the platformfor the train to go to work..