Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:49 AM   #1

Default dmc-zf1 with reversed lens

hello
i have tested to put a 50mm lens reversed in front of my fz1 and i get some cool results for macro pictures, but i wanted to know if anyone are using this method for macro with this digicam. i'm asking this to know if the plastic lensmate that we have on our digicams is enought to suport a 50mm lens attached.
by the way here is some examples, they are not very focus but it's cause i was holding the digicam with one hand and the 50mm reversed in the other..
this one is without the reversed lens:

this one is with the reversed lens:

any comments?
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:01 AM   #2

Default Response from Panasonic

Effectively, you are usingthe lens as a diopter (add on) lens. No damge may result but you will see degradation along the edges. Add on "close up"ens work the same way.

The macro function on the FZ1 is pretty good so you may not need either.

Bob K
Panasonic
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:02 PM   #3

Default Re: Response from Panasonic

The macro function on the FZ1 is pretty good
Bob K
Panasonic[/quote]

I wonder about the macro function. The macro function is pretty good at wide angle but becomes less functional as zoom is applied and is totally ineffective at full zoom. Then again, I have taken non-closeup shots inadvertently in macro mode with no discernible effect on focus from wide to 12x zoom. Why is that? Why not just leave the camera in macro mode and forget about "normal" mode?

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:08 PM   #4

Default Re: Response from Panasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
The macro function on the FZ1 is pretty good so you may not need either.
yeah it's true but i can't take picture so close like this one that i posted here..i know it's not well focus and that you can see some black edges from the reversed lense but that is because i haven't the dmc with full zoom. with full zoom i don't see nothing.

anyway my main question is.. do you think the plastic adapter wont have problems suporting a 50mm lens in front? that lens it's not very heavy but well.. the panasonic adapter is made of plastic.. anyone reported problems with the adapter till now?anyone broke it or something like that.. by the way.. in case that i need an extra one cause this one is broken it's possible to buy one? if so where?

thanks for your time on this forum help all the amateur photographs, and sorry if some questions sounds really stupid.. :?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 3:33 PM   #5

I bought an extra adapter. I felt it was the weakest part of the camera and could see it getting broken using add on lenses. I contacted panasonic support and they gave me a few places near me that have or can order parts.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2003, 4:31 PM   #6

The plastic adapter that comes with the fz1 is strong enough to hold the olympus tcon17 teleconverter which is pretty heavy. There is a problem, however. The threads in the receiving end of the adapter start too deep into the adapter too get a secure connection. Remove about .5mm of plastic with sandpaper to get a good tight fit. Another fix is to screw a 55mm uv lens into the adapter and connect any additional filters to that. That has the added virtue of protecting the lens.

Fred
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollz
I bought an extra adapter. I felt it was the weakest part of the camera and could see it getting broken using add on lenses. I contacted panasonic support and they gave me a few places near me that have or can order parts.
can you tell me which extra adapter you bought please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
The plastic adapter that comes with the fz1 is strong enough to hold the olympus tcon17 teleconverter which is pretty heavy
i thought the tcon17 wasnt' eavy.. don't know why cause i never saw any, only on the web but it looks so "light" anyway i guess a 50mm lens has to me heavier than the tcon17.. right?!?
by the way.. are you happy with the tcon17? is it worth the money? it's worth have a zoom even bigger than 12x? with the x1.7 from the tcon i'll have a 20.4x zoom on my dmc-fz1? you make a lot of use of this zoom?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:18 PM   #8

Very happy with tcon 17. Mostly used for wildlife. Sample at http://www.ishots.net/earlyfz1/P1000301.html Resized only.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:45 PM   #9

It was Panasonic part # VYQ2583 It was 23.18 canadian dollars. It was the same as the one that came with the camera.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:30 PM   #10

US $11 at http://www.partsolver.com/Product.as...tutePart=False