Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1

I saw a similar thread (concerning a different camera), which prompts me to ask -- can any of you FZ-50 users out there verify that the camera will accept one of the 8GB SDHC cards?

Also, I see that Topram is now offering a whopping 16GB SDHC card. It may be too soon to tell, but if anyone knows ofthe FZ-50'scompatibility with this card, please stepto the head of the line. :lol: Thanks!

Amistad
Amistad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 3:55 AM   #2

Well, an hour or so with Google shows me that there are several firms out there who now produce a 16GB SDHC card, not just Topram like I erroneously thought...

A Topram ad on eBay indicates that the card in question does work in the FZ-50 camera. (Scroll down and see on right side.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOPRAM-16GB-16G-...mZ320246027093

This is a good thing, no?

Amistad
Old May 3, 2008, 7:33 AM   #3

Well I have a couple 8gb SDHC cards.......but is it a good Idea, only you can judge that.....

but I would be leary of buying flash cards from Ebay......too many counterfeits.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, genece, but I'm not understandingwhat you mean. Why wouldan enthusiastnot want to be able to use an 8GB SDHC card in a FZ-50?

Amistad
Old May 3, 2008, 11:37 AM   #5

Amistad wrote:
Quote:
Why wouldan enthusiastnot want to be able to use an 8GB SDHC card in a FZ-50?

Amistad
In all liklihood there would never be an issue, especially if you buy a reputable card from a reputable dealer and buy it early enough that you have a chance to run a series of images through it and verify it's working properly,but anyone who's had a card that'sbecome corrupted or lives in fear of one doing so is probably more apt to carry four or five 2 GB cards so if one did go bad, not all of their vacation/once-in-a-lifetime-event images would be in jeopardy of being unrecoverable.

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 1:15 PM   #6

That's a very cogent thought you've shared, Greg. It would indeed be a miserable situation to be in with all of your eggs in one basket, and then the basket "gets smashed!":O I may just learn to be happy with the two 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB SD cards that I have at present, rather than pondering on getting one that has even more capacity...

Amistad
Old May 4, 2008, 8:18 AM   #7

Amistad wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, genece, but I'm not understandingwhat you mean. Why wouldan enthusiastnot want to be able to use an 8GB SDHC card in a FZ-50?

Amistad
I agree with what greg said about all the eggs in one basket......but I remember that same arguement a few years ago when I was about to purchase one of the first 256mb cards that came out......now look at the sizes we are talking about, and even larger with Compact Flash cards. I am pretty sure a year from now an 8gb card will not be considered too large, but is it too large today.......your call.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 7:55 AM   #8

Well stated, genece. Given the large number of photos that can be stored on a 4GB SD card, I don't think I'll have any trouble being content with not going beyond that, at least not for a while. However, us humans are funny creatures. We often fall prey to that strange mindsetof -- give me more, and charge me less! :blah:

Amistad