Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 3, 2008, 7:23 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

Not a question I imagined I would ever ask but I'm thinking of getting a compact camera and possibly the TZ5 will fit the bill. For those who don't know my I'm a semi pro shooter working with Canon kit (1D mkIII, 5D and 30D + a load of lenses), however I find myself not wanting to take a dSLR with me at all times and also I want do do some basic video shooting.

OK so my questions.

1, Is there any manual control on the camera settings as I usually working Av or M modes or can you only use preset scene modes?

2, Can you zoom while shooting video?

3, Generally what are your thoughts on this camera, are you pleased with your choice, would you have gone with anything else ifyou had to choose again?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Not a question I imagined I would ever ask but I'm thinking of getting a compact camera and possibly the TZ5 will fit the bill. For those who don't know my I'm a semi pro shooter working with Canon kit (1D mkIII, 5D and 30D + a load of lenses), however I find myself not wanting to take a dSLR with me at all times and also I want do do some basic video shooting.

OK so my questions.

1, Is there any manual control on the camera settings as I usually working Av or M modes or can you only use preset scene modes?

2, Can you zoom while shooting video?

3, Generally what are your thoughts on this camera, are you pleased with your choice, would you have gone with anything else ifyou had to choose again?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Hi Mark. Always enjoy looking at your pics in the other forums...

The TZ5 give you Auto, and that's it.

Now, I say that, but there are still options that give you the ability to get the results you want. First, There's the live histogram that I always have enabled, along with the grid lines to aid in composition. The first thing I always look to when I need to make an exposure adjustment is the exposure compensation button, which gives you +/- 2 steps. Then there's the metering option, where you have centerweighted, multi-segment and the one I use much of the time....spot.

There is one interesting addition to the TZ5, and that's the ability to tell the camera not to go below a certain shutter speed, so I guess it would be asort-of shutter speed priority that you can set up to 1/200 second.

One interesting little note regarding the options you have of controling things with this camera is something I just learned the other day after having owned a TZ3 for a year and now the TZ5 for about a week. Read this post over at DPReview..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27771279

So there is a way to lock exposure and focus separately with the TZ5.

I love using my DSLR, but the times I've picked this little camera up, I've had little issue getting an image to look the way I want it to look. I use the STANDARD color mode, which give a normal amount of sharpening, but the images respond VERY well to the Smart Sharpening filter in Photoshop CS2, and, with the TZ5, there is a very useable ISO 400 setting and, in a pinch and depending on the subject, ISO 800 can even do a credible job.

Being an advanced DSLR user gives you an advantage over many TZ users,for whom this isoften their first camera with this kind of zoom range, and it's not as easy getting good sharp results at the extended optical zoom maximum of 472mm as it was when they were using their little 3-4x optical zoom digicams prior to buying the TZ5. You have the ability to use options like the spot meter, knowingwhere to point it, and usingit withexposure compensation to get the results you want.

One of the things that, to me, makes the full or semi-manual options of exposure settingnot AS important are, there's little chance with these type cameras to get those extremely shallow depth of field type shots you can get with a DSLRunless you are shooting closeups. The depth of field at almost any focal length or apertureis HUGE.

I've had my TZ5 for about a week now. Next Saturday I'm taking it with me to St. Croix, USVI for a week. Here's a folder of images I've shot so far. These are uploaded at their full original size and there's an option to download the full-sized file if you want to look closer at any of them in your own software..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...89057175_7WWYy

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Cool, thanks Greg.

Just going back to the video side can you zoom while videoing?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 7:33 PM   #4

Yes. I haven't shot a movie with it, but that's one of the bigger selling points in it over what we had with the TZ3 where you could not zoom in movie mode. With the TZ5, you can.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Yes. I haven't shot a movie with it, but that's one of the bigger selling points in it over what we had with the TZ3 where you could not zoom in movie mode. With the TZ5, you can.
True, but autofocus during zooming really struggles.
Sciamano is offline   Reply With Quote