Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 4, 2008, 5:26 AM   #1

I can't wait for it to arrive.
224 EUR off eBay (street price here is >350 EUR)
Sciamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 6:49 AM   #2

It's an exciting time when you're anticipating the arrival of a new camera, isn't it? I hope that you are very pleased with it and that it does all thatyou are hoping for.Do let us see some photos after you have some to show... Good luck!

Amistad
Amistad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 2:30 PM   #3

I'm certainly going to be much more satisfied with it, compared to what I have now: a Casio Exilim EX-S600, the only advantage of which is its size/weight. Pictures don't look bad if you print them in a small format. But try to print them in a large format and they will look like watercolor paintings...

Old May 16, 2008, 5:47 AM   #4

It's finally here. After a few test shots I'm a little bit disappointed.
Pictures look very 'grainy' even at ISO100. Much more grainy than those sample pictures I've seen on the internet... :O
Old May 16, 2008, 9:25 AM   #5
Super Moderator

There is a little grain in my shots with the TZ5 even at ISO 100 but it's still usable. Post some 100%crop sections so we can see the pixel detail and thus the grain you speak of. Please don't do any PP on them just crop and save.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6

I'm not saying it's not usable. Just that I feel like the pictures are more grainy than the samples I've seen before buying the camera...

I attach a resized version of the original pic (to see what portion I cropped) and a 100% crop. Notice the grain on the car's side and on its rear window
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7

100% crop
Attached Images

Old May 17, 2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I would say that that is more noisy than I would expect for ISO 100, although I've not used mine too much yet to be sure as it's just for popping in a pocked when one of my dSLRs is not joining me that day.

What do others think?
Old May 17, 2008, 11:28 AM   #9

That's pretty much the same use I'm going to make: I'll use the TZ5 when I won't bring the backpack of the reflex with me...

Anyway, I've checked the lates pictures posted by Greg Chappell on Smugmug, and "his" noise level seems more or less the same than "mine". I guess I simply have to get used to it.

The fact is that I used to own a Nikon Coolpix 7600 which had a great control of noise, and I'm probably expecting too much from latest cameras, which in some fields are not better than those of a few years ago (of course in most other fields they are way better)
Old May 17, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I've just looked at some of mine to make sure and I agree the noise is about 'right'. I agree I struggle to get used to the noise handling of these cameras after what I usually work with, but for what it is I'm happy. I'm not going to be printing shots from this, it really is just for snaps.