Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 23, 2008, 7:22 AM   #11

Sorry.....I think it helps to list your location in your profile.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 7:19 PM   #12

isn't it possible to find tcon17 for around $60-65 ?
axuxax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:46 PM   #13

There is a 2X Raynox that some people have had fair luck with. It's definitely better than the $20 eBay 2X teleconverters, but it doesn't come close to comparing to the TCON-17 quality. There's actually a 3x Olympus TCON, but it produces really bad photos, even when using it with the camera that it was originally designed for. I would just stick with the TCON-17.

Another warning about the eBay teleconverters -- they frequently aren't what they're advertised to be. Meaning, you may think you're getting a 2x teleconverter, but what you'll receive is more like a 1.2x teleconverter. That's what happened to me way back when I bought one for my FZ1 (back when none of non-Olympus converts knew anything about the Olympus teleconverters).

I bought a TCON-17 from Olympus Auctions on eBay for $69 with $3 shipping. I know you're in Europe though, and I don't think Olympus Auctions will ship it to Europe (definitely not for just $3). It wasn't used or returned, etc. -- it was one of their infamous "scuffed package" deals. At the time the TCON-17 seemed to be at least $50 more than that. I really wanted the Panasonic LT-55, but it's $200. I did splurge and get the Panasonic LW-55 (a 0.7x wideangle converter that's also $200), and have not regretted it, but I read on the page that others linked to above that the Panasonic LT-55 and the Olympus TCON-17 yielded virtually identical results, so I figured I'd save a little money by getiting the TCON-17.

I don't think you'd regret getting the TCON-17. If you have a spare $500 and can actually find one (they're pretty much considered to be "unicorns" of the lens world), you should actually go for theNikon TC-E17ED. It's very difficult to find (you'll have to get it used since it's no longer manufactured) and most people know what they're selling when you do finally find one, so the going price is usually $400-600. The difference is just incredible, though. It produces amazingly sharp, clear images. But the price is a big ouch! It's a good example of something that you should always remember the model number for, so that when you finally find some old lady selling it in a garage sale for $5, you'll know to scoop it up and then do a little celebration dance in the driveway.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 9:59 PM   #14

Thanks for your answer. I know, nikon's teleconverter is the best one but,
it's even more expensive than my fz18
I decided to buy a tcon-17 but, i have no idea about where to buy it.
In Usa it's easy to find a tcon-17 for good price, but it's expensive in Europe.

Old May 29, 2008, 7:59 AM   #15

axuxax wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I know, nikon's teleconverter is the best one but,
it's even more expensive than my fz18
I decided to buy a tcon-17 but, i have no idea about where to buy it.
In USA it's easy to find a tcon-17 for good price, but it's expensive in Europe.

If you are searching on the used market.......there is an earlier version of the Tcon17 its called a B300.....I have one of each and they are identical, at least they seem so to me.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:09 PM   #16

Thanks. i won an auction on ebay, and i'm buying the tcon17.
But, there's another problem for me. Original dmw-la3 tube adapters are around $40-50, it's expensive for only a tube adapter part. Can i find cheaper adapters to fit the tcon17 to my fz18 ?
Old May 30, 2008, 8:07 AM   #17

I see no reason one of these will not work.....I see there is no mention of a tele lens but you needfull zoom for a closeup lens so I think it will work.....you could Email them and ask.

http://cgi.ebay.com/58-58mm-Lens-Ada...dZp1638Q2em127

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-adapter-for...dZp1638Q2em127

You will need a step ring either a 52 to 55 step up ring or a 58 to 55 step down ring......depending on the one you choose.

I have purchased some stuff from gadget infinity and found them to be straight forward.
Old May 30, 2008, 1:09 PM   #18

May a longer tube adapter decrease the image quality of tcon17 ?
With step up or down rings it may be longer than dmw-la3.
Do you use it with dmw-la3 ?
Old May 30, 2008, 1:57 PM   #19

I do usethem with the Panasonic adapter , but it was much cheaper at the time and it is longer than it needs to be..... You also need to understand that the adapter can not be left on for wide angleshots.....a true pain in the butt.

I have not used the adapters on Ebay but I would almost be willing to bet they are shorter than the Panasonic one.....that has been the case with every aftermarket adapter I ever tried and I was into that with the FZ10 and 20. I have given upusing adapterswith the FZ18, IMHO,the adapters are more trouble than they are worth....

Hopefully someone can give you a more definite answer........butjust to add...a step up ring adds very little to the length of an adapter and if you shop carefully you can find thin step down rings.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:02 AM   #20

Finally, i have completed the set. (Tcon17 + Dmw-la3)
Image performance is more than i expected. I think, i have made a right choice by choosing the tcon-17 instead of cheap 2x teleconverters
Thanks for your answers.