Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 23, 2008, 5:51 PM   #11

Nice shots Greg. I may want your camera, and I for sure want your vacation. :-)

Question: you talk about boosting contrast as you used Standard parameters. I assume you mean things that my FZ18 FZ7 call picture adjustment? If so, with the FZ18 in iA it appears to ignore what I have set there and use what it wants to use. Does the TZ5 accept your settings even in iA?
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 7:33 PM   #12

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Greg. I may want your camera, and I for sure want your vacation. :-)

Question: you talk about boosting contrast as you used Standard parameters. I assume you mean things that my FZ18 FZ7 call picture adjustment? If so, with the FZ18 in iA it appears to ignore what I have set there and use what it wants to use. Does the TZ5 accept your settings even in iA?
Steve
I'll tell ya, if you can, everyone in the states at some point in their livesshould go down to St. Thomas, St. Johnor St. Croix. They are spectacular.

Yes, fortunately, the iA mode does still give you the option of setting either the Natural, Standard or Vivid parameters. If you are in Auto and have standard set and you then go to iA, you need to open the menu andcheck the setting to be sure it's what you wantbecause it could be different depending on the last time you were in that mode, asthe camera stores those settings separately in the two capturemodes.

You cannot set contrast separately with the TZ seriesby adding +1 or +2, so once I download my images and open them up in Photoshop CS2, I have beenusing the Auto Contrast option. If it looks good, I leave it there. If I think Photoshop goes to far, I can use EDIT and FADE to adjust the amount back in percentage increments between 1-100%.

The past several days I've been trying more to get it right in-camera by choosing the right parameter...if I'm shooting a colorful subject like asunset orflowersgoing to Vivid, if I'm shooting a portrait, using Natural, and Standard for most everything else. Sometimes I tend to go a little over the top in mypost processingand cost myself some mid-tonal range valueswith the contrast adjustments.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:25 PM   #13

I love my new FZ18. And wouldn't mind owning the TZ5 just for the size of it. Thanks for sharing the pics and I'll keep my calendar open so you can take me next year:-)
Derby08 is offline   Reply With Quote