Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 24, 2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Originals cost a lot (at least here in Europe...)
Anyone has bought the clones?
Are they reliable?

When I had a Casio, I bought a non-OEM battery and compared to the original it last half the time/shots...
Sciamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2

Sciamano wrote:
Quote:
When I had a Casio, I bought a non-OEM battery and compared to the original it last half the time/shots...
Many folks buy and use the third-party batteries with the TZ series and have no complaints. I read about them a lot over on the Panasonic forum at DPReview.

My own experience is, I bought a second battery when I bought my original TZ3 from B&H...it was the IMPACT brand that they sold. Like your experience, it lasted about half the time as the original. I now have a TZ5, and four OEM (Panasonic)batteries for trips. At home Ihave them numbered so I can use on after the otherto keep from having to wear one out too fast as I always have the TZ5 on me and shoot something every day. I've bought my last non-Panasonic battery.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 11:36 AM   #3

That's what I suspected... I'll try to find a Panasonic battery but it's not that easy where I live. Thanks for sharing your experience.
BTW: how long does a battery last to you?

Old May 24, 2008, 7:08 PM   #4

I want to buy an equivalent battery for fz18, equivalent batteries are much cheaper but, there can be explosion risk of these "made in china" batteries.
Equivalent batteries are around $6 - 8 for 2 pieces.
axuxax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 8:11 PM   #5

Sciamano wrote:
Quote:
That's what I suspected... I'll try to find a Panasonic battery but it's not that easy where I live. Thanks for sharing your experience.
BTW: how long does a battery last to you?

The Panasonic battery is lasting me around 175-200 shots right now with the TZ5, which is much better than they did with the TZ3, but less than Panasonic states in their data.

Now that I've thrown that number out, I also need to add some other notes regarding that number. Having used the camera now for only about a month, I've been reviewing images like crazy on the absolutely beautiful LCD, which will eat into the shot capacity, big time. 460,000 pixels is a lot, and theLCD is bright, bright, bright, and the filesvery detailed in the review mode. Last week while I was on vacation down in the carribean, I was expecially hard on the batteries in the review mode. I was flipping through the various shots all week, both during the day, everyevening, andthe way back during the 5 hour flight to Dallas.

I know, eventually (I think), I'll stop this incessent reviewing and using more of the battery power to just take pictures....Did I say it was an awfully nice LCD?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 5:39 AM   #6

I'm having the same battery life (about 200 shots) and since it's way less than what declared on the specs, I wanted to make sure it was all right and that I did not have a defective battery.
Yes, the screen is awesome, very bright and detailed, but I've learned from using my DSLR that it drains battery life a lot, so I try not to review my picture too often.
Still, it's too nice a display not to. :-)