Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:06 AM   #1

Default FZ2 Colour tone

I have a Panasonic FZ2 and would like to find out just what the Picture Adjustment means. I have found that on standard, aircraft photos are not so clear as vivid. Does this means that vivid is adjusting the sharpness of my images?

To test my theory I took three shots of a TV antenna at telephoto, natural looked soft, standard looked slightly better and vivid produced a clear shot nearly equal to my Olympus C-750 although the colour is a bit to saturated.

For interest I have also found that when spot mode is off the centre of the image is not always in focus.

For interest my FZ2 images can beem seen at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate...03_2/index.htm

Kevin
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:29 PM   #2

After doing more test shots between Natural/Standard/Vivid it appears to me that vivid which should only affect the colour also makes the images sharper. (Maybe ist my eyesight, I am over 40!)

Perhaps Panasonic Bob could clarify this. (Not my age that is)

I have also noticed that when focusing at 10-12x its not always the image in the centre of the viewfiner thats in focus so I have to use spot focus.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:06 AM   #3

These adjustments are color adjustments.
"Standard is the default setting wwhere the chroma level is adjusted to the "normal" level.

Natural slightly reduces the overall color level and gives the photo a more subtle look.

Vivid boost the color level, though sometimes (in my opinion) it exagerates the colors. I have used it on very overcast days where colors are muted. A warning; using vivid can raise the visible color noise so use this feature more as a creative tool.

Hope this clears things up (no pun intended)

Bob K
Panasonic
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:37 AM   #4

Hi Kevin. According to the EXIF data as read by Exifer :
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
with the FZ1, at least, the setting you refer to changes contrast, colour saturation and sharpness values.

There's a discussion here on this setting from July :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5593005

I can't remember immediately whether the impact these setting have on noise levels (popular topic at moment) was discussed there; the vivid setting will generally also give rise to the most noise of the three.

Nice gallery.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:11 PM   #5

Whoops. I think I've contradicted Bob. He must have posted his three posts while I was composing my one. Give that man valium!(actually I got called away midway through writing mine).

As a certain English chef might say, "It don't ma'er". Kevin, I think you were doing the right thing to do your own tests. I'd carry on and try to find what works best for my 40+ year old eyes if I were in your shoes (sorry slippers :lol: )

I would say it's worth catching up on what people have said on this forum and the one on DPReview though. Despite the name of one of the members on DPReview, though, nothing is gospel...
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback, for some reason my eye see vivid as sharpening the image as well.