Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:32 AM   #11

Well I received my replacement TZ5 earlier this week and I have to be honest...the results with this one compared to the orginal are like night and day!
Not one of the pictures I took with the first camera were truly in focus or pin sharp, whereas nearly every single one I have taken on the new one are crystal clear.
Tomorrow (Sunday) will be my first venture out to somewhere with some good photographic opportunities, we are visiting an RAF museum with the boys so there should be plenty of chances to put the camera through it's paces.
Just goes to show that even with the modern day quality control and automated manufacturing methods, it's still possible to get a "Friday afternoon" model.
Rob

Smiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:30 AM   #12

Smiffy

Thats good to hear.

It's too late to see what version of the drive system the first camera had, but if you follow the instructions (refer to one of the 2 postings that are regading what drive version you have and if need be you can update yours. The upgrade is said to improve the auto focus. I have done this for my girl friends TZ5 but we have yet to give the camera the acid test.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 8:14 AM   #13

Hi Bill

I did in fact download the latest firmware onto my original camera (version 1.2) but it didn't really seem to make much difference to be honest.

When I received my new camera, I inserted the memory card and as I had left the downloaded firmware on there it automatically uploaded it so I am running1.2 firmware on this one as well.

I've not shot any "movies" with the camera, either before or after the upgrade so can't honestly say whether it has made any difference, but if my experience with the old camera is anything to go by, it doesn't do anything for focus issuesin "still" mode.

Thanks for your input

Rob

Smiffy is offline   Reply With Quote