Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:41 AM   #1

Hello

I have been using my TZ 1 for a couple of years now. My 2 Kodaks have been banished to the closet most of the time (though I still like them because they still have eye level view finders and my 4x has a optical view finder).

My girl friend is 95% set on buying a TZ-5.

I find it strange that the current selling price for a new TZ 1 is over $300.00 yet a TZ 5 can be bought for less than $300.00

I called Panasonic USA and they were trying to tell me it was due to the fact that the TZ 1 came first it cost more. I told her that a 2007 car nevers sells for more than a similar model 2009.

Am I missing a point regarding my TZ 1 or are the Panasonic people Pana-idiotic? :?

There are a lot of interesting video clips on many Panasonic cameras on You Tube.

"A knee grows in Brooklyn"

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2

I believe it is due to the fact that the TZ1 is still requarded as toprate camera, and is still saught after. GMO
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3

Thanks fireman!

Still hard to accept that a TZ 5 can be bought for less despite all of its bells and whistles!

Are you in Poukipsee (Iknow I spelt it wrong). My favorite place to go for weekends.

Eat at the CIA, all the mansions,Clydes Cider Mill,Mary Flaggler arboritum, Aerodrome. Every thing is along RT 9.

BiLL
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4

I have to disagree with Fireman. Again using the car analogy, who would want to buy last year's Honda Civic if this years has more HP and better fuel mileage for the same price?

Simple supply and demand my friend,
There's very little TZ1's around and no one wants to buy them because there's just so many other better cameras now. Low supply equals higher price. Hence, the higher price.

modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:46 PM   #5

modifierwong

Lower Supply + Improvments in new models = Lower Prices not Higher Prices as you state.

BiLL
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:19 PM   #6

I do understand what you're saying but I still respectfully disagree.

"Lower Supply + Improvments in new models = Lower Prices"
That's your equation.

Classic cars is a perfect example about the inaccuracy of this. The usual logic is that classis cars tend to appreciate in value and decrease in quantity. With time, no matter what bells and whistles (or lack thereof) the price will usually go up.

However, this is electronics and most of the time price decreases with time. Heck, I can't even think of any recent electronics that have appreciated in value. Take a gander for 1-year old cameras on ebay.

So up comes the point of why exactly the TZ1 is more expensive?
1. It is still a highly regarded camera, and thus selling at a high price, despite there being dozens of cameras out there with higher megapixels, more features, better image quality...

2. There is little quantity left and selling it at a cheaper price would result in a loss if sold for any less. Not many people would be willing to sell things lower than the buying price. As of writing, Amazon.com is selling the camera for $299.99. Only 1 left in stock. Coincidence?

Two choices. You already know my answer. Cheers!
modifierwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:26 AM   #7

My girl friend just bought a TZ5. The two of us went to the NY Botanical Gardens with our TZ's and had a enjoyable day in the gardens and the large greenhouse. The TZ5 has a super lcd screen but.............

The results on the pc monitor at home show that my TZ1 is sharper!

The only reason I can think of is the lens. My TZ1 has a Vario Elmarit and the TZ5 has a Vario Elmar (both are 10x optical, tz5 starts at 28mm and the tz1 starts at 35mm.

This could also be why a new TZ1 (if you can find one) sells for more than a TZ5.

BiLL
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:50 AM   #8

Hi there,
Just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I bought my TZ5 June 5th, 2008 and have just been blown away by this camera! I also own a Nikon D70, and after shooting a few car shows with the TZ5... It looks like the D70 will be growing some dust! The IA mode is absolutely unbelievable! I put this camera thru the paces at the show with different angles, lighting etc. and Every picture came out perfect with No editing after! The Motion Picture mode is unreal! I took a video of my Beta fish and replayed it next to the aquarium and it was like...Is it Live or Memorex! I give this camera 5 Big Stars IMO!

Rhinowayne
Rhinowayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:31 AM   #9

I'm with Bill on this I'm afraid.
I've only had my TZ5 a week now and whilst I'm no expert (not even close) I am really disappointed with the results I am getting from it. I have taken a total of about 70 "snaps", using iA and various focusing/metering options within the "standard" setting and not one picture is truly "in focus".
Even my wife has commented that the results are less than satisfactory. I bought her a Canon Powershot A570is a few months ago at half the price of the TZ5 and most of the pictures she takes on that knock the Panasonic into a cocked hat.
I am only a point & shoot photographer, I'm not really into PP other than general red eye reduction, cropping that sort of thing. But as this camera is aimed squarely at the point and shoot amateur, surely better results should be available straight out of the box without having to rely on PP?
I am in the process of returning my camera and getting a replacement in the hope that there is something wrong with my particular example. I am getting another TZ5 sent out as I really like the feel and ergonomics of it and want to like it. But if the replacement is the same then it will be going back permanently. I have seen pictures posted of forums taken with the TZ1 and TZ3 where people have said they have not resorted to any kind of PP and the quality of those shots were stunning compared to mine.
Fingers crossed, because I so much want this camera to be my camera of choice.
Rob
Smiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:27 AM   #10

Smiffy

I went to the Panasonic USA web site to see:

1/ All the models

2/ Optical zoom range (digital is a waste and I want 10x and a wide view

3/ The TZ5 you have and the TZ3 have the same Vario-Elmar lens

4/ The Vario-Elmarit is the optically superior lens

The FX35 and FX500 start at 25mm, but lack the telephoto range I want

but since I have my TZ1 with its 10x zoom A ultra wide may just be right 4 me

The FZ18 is a 18x optical zoom starting at 28mm but long zooms tend to soften as you go into the telephoto range (but has a vario elmarit lens).

Gloves come in many sizes but not all of them fit! As O.J. Simpson :G

BiLL