Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1

I am off to Silverstone at the weekend for a Renault motorsport day with my new FZ18.

Does anyone have any tips as to how i can get the best out of the camera. The conditions are forecast to be light showers so i guess I might not be able to get super fast shutter speeds at ISO100.

Does anyone have any general tips or minimum shutter speeds i should be trying to achieve?

I was thinking of shooting in AP to get the fastest shutter speed for the conditions does this sound good?
smudgerooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:11 PM   #2

smudgerooo wrote:
Quote:
I am off to Silverstone at the weekend for a Renault motorsport day with my new FZ18.

Does anyone have any tips as to how i can get the best out of the camera. The conditions are forecast to be light showers so i guess I might not be able to get super fast shutter speeds at ISO100.

Does anyone have any general tips or minimum shutter speeds i should be trying to achieve?

I was thinking of shooting in AP to get the fastest shutter speed for the conditions does this sound good?
I shoot birds mostly and it may not at all apply to cars, but don't be afraid to use different ISOs. When I use Aperture Priority I ususally have the ISO set at intelligant ISO, maximum 400. If the shutter does not go fast enough for me there I might well turn off the intelligent ISO and use ISO 200 or 400. And try some shots with Shutter Priority and varying ISOs to see what happens.

When shooting in adverse condtions I really like Manual. I can change anything easily and the little bar graph type thing at the bottom of the viewfinder shows me the results.
Steve

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:05 PM   #3

Thanks for all the help, here are some of my shots

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3114/...8af2ed81f8.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/...a8ce0a52d2.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/...e5c5dbf1da.jpg

Old Jun 9, 2008, 5:35 PM   #4

The shots look nice. I can't see your EXIF data but it seems your shutter speed was fast enough. In fact, next time you might want a tripod or something, and try a few shots with slower shutter speeds to have a sharp track and infield with a wee bit of blurring on the cars so the motion shows up.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:35 AM   #5

Is there any way to get the exif data to show up when posting to sites like Flickr?

I saw a lot of the DSLR users were using monopods, maybe that would be a good idea.

I admit that i was struggling a bit to keep the camera steady at full zoom, probably just my bad technique.

Thanks for the comments btw
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:21 AM   #6

I think if you did not strip the exif with a photo editor.....flickr will include the exif with the original size photo that you uploaded to them.....

Can you put a link to your album so we can see larger photos.......I think you froze the action pretty well.....just about right, the cars look sharp but the wheels show motion, thats good.

IMHO....Larger photos would be nice.....not huge but thoses are pretty small. and I disagree with the other comment... you want to pan with the car to blur the infield and keep the car tack sharp......the infield and tires should blur, but the car should remain sharp.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:26 AM   #7

smudgerooo wrote:
Quote:
Is there any way to get the exif data to show up when posting to sites like Flickr?
There is. I don't know how you are posting pictures but when I click on them I see them on a blank page and cannot go from there to yoiur photostream to see if you have EXIF data enabled.

Look at picture below. Formula to put it here is [img][/img]
I took picture in my photo stream and clicked on all sizes, then selected small size Under picture it has two codes. I copied code in line 2 and put it in formula between [img]and[/img]. Then I went to flickr picture page, copied address from top of page, and put that after the = sign at the beginning of the formula. No spaces anywere.

Click on this picture to see what I mean.

When you get to flickr page, look at right side of page. There is an area called additional information. It says type of camera used. Right under that it says 'more properties". Click on that to see my EXIF data. If you don't see it by your pictures go into your profile and turn it on.

Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:41 AM   #8

Hope this works

Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:28 AM   #9

It did work......and it appears you used a funtion such as save for web that stripped the exif info........but I can not be sure of what but the exif is not included.

The photo basicly lacks contrast......at times adding contrast is as simple as using the hood all the time (it will improve some photos but not all photos,but it does not hurt any photos) and at other times its just the light you were shooting in was not good for contrast........and the only thing to do then is add it in an editor.....

I hope you do not mind my attempt at adding it and sharpening the car.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:56 AM   #10

Wow thats a really big difference! you can see a lot more detail.

Would you mind telling me what you did?

I am still very much learning, the FZ18 is my first real camera...

You mentioned the lens hood, would it have had this much effect on the image if i had it on?