Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:23 PM   #11

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Since I moved in here I have yet to find my bag of plastic bugs! lol

Just pulling your leg or feeler!

Super sharp and great color!

BiLL
Thanks Bill. Do find that bag. Some of the things that come out of those bags are great photographic subjects.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:36 PM   #12

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve,

I read above that you use a spacer on your camera, do you use the spacer between the two Nikon lenses, or, between the camera lens and the Nikons? also, how does that affect the magnification. Thanks.

Emmanuel
Ths space I use is a spacer tube. Which I call a spacer because they do online, but if I were naming it I would call it an extension tube. I have two so I use one for TCON and one for macro. And the one I use for macro is made to be an extender for macro photography with a 35mm camera. But, what I use is just because I either had it already or because I got stuff cheaper then if I bought an LA-3 or an aftermarket adapter. You do hve me curious though, and maybe some day I will use both of the tubes, one to keep lenses away from camera lens (as they do now) and one between macro lenses to see what happens.

Left to right: 55.8mm to 55mm step-ring, 55mm to 52mm step-ring, 20mm K5 spacer tube, Nikon 4T, and Nikon 3T

TCON-17 and 55mm one inch spacer tube. To use I would attach to camera with 55.8 to 55mm step-ring.

Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:34 AM   #13

WOW, I just bought the FZ18 and you have really inspired me greatly!!

How in the world did you get that butterfly to land on your hand, you certainly have a wonderful way with macro...any TIPS for these wonderful shots?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:41 AM   #14

redparrot53 wrote:
Quote:

How in the world did you get that butterfly to land on your hand, you certainly have a wonderful way with macro...any TIPS for these wonderful shots?

Linda
Glad you enjoyed/were inspired by the shots Linda.

Before I talk macro I am going to ask a question of anyone reading this who can answer: Can you stack Raynox 150 and 250 macro lenses together?

I ask above because it seems to be getting very hard to find the lenses I use, although B&H (reliable company) carries the 3T at the moment.

Now, technical stuff. The FZ18 does macros quite well. The butterfly is a straight camera shot. If the lighting is sufficient to do that you can get a lot of good shots without any add-ons.

As mentioned, the dragonflies here were shot with a tele converter lens. Probably one could shoot many dragonfly and butterfly shots with the camera as is also. I tend to have that lens on when walking, but as the summer progresses and the bugs get thicker find myself unscrewing it and holding it often lately.

The macro lenses I use are from Nikon and don't appear easy to find anymore. Mine are a 3T and a 4T. 52mm threading. They make a pair called 5T and 6T with larger threading. If you get these no matter which set you use you will need some kind of adapter and step-rings. (See original post) I and a few others use Nikon lenses, the majority of people use Raynox 150 or 250 lenses. I know nothing about them and it is possible there are other numbers with different strengths. If you were to start a new post asking about macro lenses you would probably get some info from people who won't read this thread as they did when it was fresh. I do know that with my lenses you can screw them together and have more power then from either one alone. Which I do quite often. And then end up backing off the zoom a bit.

The reason I use lenses is that I can use the zoom while still being less then two feet or so from the subject, which allows me to use the flash so that I can have a high shutter speed and an aperture of f/8. Since making the original post here I have been using auto-focus with good results. The little focus mark turns green when I am withing range just like it does without the lenses.

Using the flash means you can take shots under less then sunny conditons, which is nice so you don't melt. Also, you can see the LCD screen a lot better without full sun on it. Macro shooting is done using screen instead of viewfinder so you are not poking your whole body towards the subject. Move arms there slowly with camera. I personally never use a tripod for macros because all my shots are taken while walking along.

That is about it. Go out without a lens, take shots in bright conditions and practice. Research lens types and decide if you want them or not.

(edited to add) Oh yeah, the butterfly. That kind of butterfly likes salt and will sit on one for a long time sucking sweat.

Steve

Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:09 AM   #15

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
redparrot53 wrote:
Quote:

Linda
Glad you enjoyed/were inspired by the shots Linda.

Before I talk macro I am going to ask a question of anyone reading this who can answer: Can you stack Raynox 150 and 250 macro lenses together?

I ask above because it seems to be getting very hard to find the lenses I use, although B&H (reliable company) carries the 3T at the moment.

Now, technical stuff. The FZ18 does macros quite well. The butterfly is a straight camera shot. If the lighting is sufficient to do that you can get a lot of good shots without any add-ons.

As mentioned, the dragonflies here were shot with a tele converter lens. Probably one could shoot many dragonfly and butterfly shots with the camera as is also. I tend to have that lens on when walking, but as the summer progresses and the bugs get thicker find myself unscrewing it and holding it often lately.

The macro lenses I use are from Nikon and don't appear easy to find anymore. Mine are a 3T and a 4T. 52mm threading. They make a pair called 5T and 6T with larger threading. If you get these no matter which set you use you will need some kind of adapter and step-rings. (See original post) I and a few others use Nikon lenses, the majority of people use Raynox 150 or 250 lenses. I know nothing about them and it is possible there are other numbers with different strengths. If you were to start a new post asking about macro lenses you would probably get some info from people who won't read this thread as they did when it was fresh. I do know that with my lenses you can screw them together and have more power then from either one alone. Which I do quite often. And then end up backing off the zoom a bit.

The reason I use lenses is that I can use the zoom while still being less then two feet or so from the subject, which allows me to use the flash so that I can have a high shutter speed and an aperture of f/8. Since making the original post here I have been using auto-focus with good results. The little focus mark turns green when I am withing range just like it does without the lenses.

Using the flash means you can take shots under less then sunny conditons, which is nice so you don't melt. Also, you can see the LCD screen a lot better without full sun on it. Macro shooting is done using screen instead of viewfinder so you are not poking your whole body towards the subject. Move arms there slowly with camera. I personally never use a tripod for macros because all my shots are taken while walking along.

That is about it. Go out without a lens, take shots in bright conditions and practice. Research lens types and decide if you want them or not.

(edited to add) Oh yeah, the butterfly. That kind of butterfly likes salt and will sit on one for a long time sucking sweat.

Steve

Steve, you can stack the Raynox DCR150 (+4.8 )and DCR250 (+8 ), but it doesn't yeild the best results. Actually the DCR150 by itself is a little more powerful than the Nikon 3T (+1.5)and 4t (+2.9)stacked. The Raynox lens that would becomparable to the Nikons would actually be the DCR-5320PRO (+5), it's actually two lenses a +2 and +3 diopter lens, but there is a huge difference in price, the 5320 set sells for about $300. For most people the DCR150 would be enough. The DCR250 takes some practice to get used to but if you can master it you can capture some amazing images. For less than $100 it's hard to beat the Raynox 150 and 250 lenses.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:11 PM   #16

vaiboy wrote:
Quote:
Steve, you can stack the Raynox DCR150 (+4.8 )and DCR250 (+8 ), but it doesn't yeild the best results. Actually the DCR150 by itself is a little more powerful than the Nikon 3T (+1.5)and 4t (+2.9)stacked. The Raynox lens that would becomparable to the Nikons would actually be the DCR-5320PRO (+5), it's actually two lenses a +2 and +3 diopter lens, but there is a huge difference in price, the 5320 set sells for about $300. For most people the DCR150 would be enough. The DCR250 takes some practice to get used to but if you can master it you can capture some amazing images. For less than $100 it's hard to beat the Raynox 150 and 250 lenses.
OK, now I am confused. Any descriptions of the DCR150 I find online list it as a 1.5X macro lens, same as my 3T. Below is from Adorama camera.

Raynox DCR-150, Macro-Scan 1.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal Mount for 52mm to 67mm Filter Diameters.

And the DCR150 from B&H Photos is listed below, and is slightly less strong then my 4T.
Raynox DCR-250 43mm (52 to 67mm with included Adapter) 2.5x Super Macro Lens

Old Aug 1, 2008, 3:37 AM   #17

happy_peasant wrote:
Quote:
OK, now I am confused. Any descriptions of the DCR150 I find online list it as a 1.5X macro lens, same as my 3T. Below is from Adorama camera.

Raynox DCR-150, Macro-Scan 1.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal Mount for 52mm to 67mm Filter Diameters.

And the DCR150 from B&H Photos is listed below, and is slightly less strong then my 4T.
Raynox DCR-250 43mm (52 to 67mm with included Adapter) 2.5x Super Macro Lens
The listing on Adorama is a bit misleading. I'm no optics expert, but I'll try to clear it up a little. The diopter is the number you should be looking at to compare lenses. Magnification is a function of focal length and distance to the projected image. The magnification will change depending on the camera, a camera with a400mm lenswill have more magnification than a camera with a 70mm lens. The close-up/macro conversion lenses work by allowing the camera to focus on objects from a shorter distance. Even in macro mode at full zoom the FZ7 wont focus on objects closer than 1m away. Don't think of the conversion lenses like magnifying glasses, they are more like reading glasses for someone who is far-sighted.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:09 PM   #18

Great series of shots Steve.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:14 PM   #19

tcook wrote:
Quote:
Great series of shots Steve.
Thanks Ted. And thanks vaiboy for information. Which may sink in eventually.
Steve
Old Aug 12, 2008, 1:35 PM   #20

Excellent macros, Steve. As good as many taken with DSLR's.

Your two "beetles" are actually bugs -- the first a Four-lined Plant Bug and the second probably a Tarnished Plant Bug.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote