Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1

I've been playing with the Silkypix RAW converter that came with the FZ50 and have worked out some new noise reduction settings with the sliders and really like the results I'm seeing. May have to invest in some bigger cards and start shooting RAW more.

Here are some ISO 400 shots I took while in Paris this past September, re-worked with the new converter settings...

St. Roch Church..

The Opera Garnier..

From the back row at Notre Dame, Paris..

and Cathedral Guadelupe here in Dallas..

Then some ISO 800 shots from the Dallas Dog Show this past January..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:04 AM   #2

The ones at 400 are very nice but at that small size are you sure the jpeg would have been worse?

I can not see the exif but generally the ISO can be higher as long as the SS remains pretty fast........not sure if that applies to your photos or not......
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:16 PM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
The ones at 400 are very nice but at that small size are you sure the jpeg would have been worse?
Quote:
If this size was all I was interested in, probably not, but I did make a few 11x14 prints from my Paris tripand these are actually uploaded on my website at their full, original size. I do not downsize and upload smaller versions of my files. Fortunately, Smugmug gives you many size variations to choose from in creating links to images.I just chose not to load a hyperlink to the full-sized image here...I don't think too many would have appreciated that!
Quote:
I've found in-camera JPEG's at ISO 400 can be good or bad, depending mainly on the colors. certain red and blue shadescan start looking pretty bad at ISO 400, even in files displayed at this size.
Quote:
For the most part, I rarely shoot over ISO 200 anyway with my FZ50. I came home from my Paris trip in September with over 1200 images I shot withthe FZ50, but less than 40 were RAW files where I resorted to using ISO 400. Part of that was due to not having vistited as many dark churches as we did the previous year when I took my DSLR. We visited virtually every major church in Paris the prior tip,in addition to Chartres and Mont St. Micheland Iwas shooting at leastISO 400 every day.

I can not see the exif but generally the ISO can be higher as long as the SS remains pretty fast........not sure if that applies to your photos or not......
Being hyperlinks, you could click on the image posted hereand it will open up in my web page with complete access to all file data...you could even download the original-sized file. The one ISO 400image shot at St. Roch was in extremely low light, with a shutter speed of 1/6 second. The first shot at the Opera Garnier was shot at 1/8 second and the second of the three statues, I was resting the cameras' side agaist a column and took that at 1/5 second.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:10 AM   #4

Hi Greg

I have just started my RAW journey.
Right now I just can't match RAW/silkypix with the in-cam noise reduction...
I was about to give up RAW when I found this old post. I really like the sharpness/noise reduction balance in your pictures.

I would really appreciate if you could share the "new converter settings" that you mention in your post (or any tips concerning workflow).

Perhaps you can export and share a few "tastes" to use as templates. I'm aware of that every photo must be fine-tuned individually.

/Peter from Sweden

Last edited by peswe; Jun 17, 2009 at 8:08 AM.
peswe is offline   Reply With Quote