Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas
and one more thing - what's the diameter of the lens?
please..
It looks like 72mm. At least there seams to be a 72mm thread on the lens according to the Japanese site. There are 2 filters listed (one ND and one ???), it looks like they have a 72mm thread. Can anyone confirm if this thread is a standard? Can I use a 72mm polariser filter on that?
stefimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:39 AM   #12

Default FZ10 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathcoo
Is the new conversionlens add-on

Wide Angle 35 to 28 mm

Telephoto 420 to 630 mm

External flash unit

http://panasonic.jp/dc/fz10/conversionlens.html

Wow!
(ok, where's the emoticon for ROOL
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:43 AM   #13

Bob,

If you need anyone to review the unit, just let me know!
Although, I may have to hang on to the review unit for a while in order to get a good feel for the unit and to write a decent review!
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:52 AM   #14

At this time I'm not even going to try and respond to all these questions 1 by 1. Here are some fact you need to keep in mind.

The photos that our Japan site may post are using firmware which at this time is IS NOT final. I'm concerned that people will form conclusions from what they see. DON'T

My schedule is being consumed by testing this baby and working very closely with our factory. Hopefully in a few days I'll have a spec sheet that I can share with all of you. I'll also try to take some photos of my samples and post them. Can they be posted in this message thread or do they get posted in the photo section?

The camera is larger than the FZ1 and the filter diameter is 72 mm It's larger to maintain the F 2.8 aperture throughout the entire focal length of the zoom.

It offers manual focus, auto modes, as well as aperture and shutter priority. Unfortunately, I'm unable to post any photos until the final firmware is received and accepted.

Battery life is virtually the same as the FZ1 and it uses the same battery. All in all I find very little in the "want" column with his camera. I'm not sure if it will be silver or black, though both colors do exist.

As more info becomes available I'll share it with you.
Thanks for the support and enthusiasm!
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:35 AM   #15

Default The camera features a 1/2.5" CCD

Isn' t it a 2Mp CCD sensor?
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:37 AM   #16

Default how about auto-focussing?

Panasonic, can you please lift a tip of the blanket regarding autofocussing? Speeds, shutter-lag, low-light capabilities, what kind of focussing aids does it use?

It's a shame Panasonic did not use AA batteries... the propietary batteries are very expensive (I've read somewhere 78US$!) and you really need at least 1 extra with a shooting time of a mere 100 minutes.
stefimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:38 AM   #17

Come on, it's a 4mp sensor - read the release!!! That's the big news.

I see it has a hot shoe. Does it take dedicated flash units only, or will it also take a Sunpak or Vivitar AUTO unit too?

Pete
Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 9:41 AM   #18

They use the Lithium battery because it is smaller and packs more power longer. I would rather have the lithium. Ebay usually has generic versions of these batteries.

I like the CF cards cause they are more standard. Too bad it has an off beat card.

Other than that, if the camera can produce good pictures, this will become the classic of the industry for a long while.

Pete
Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:14 AM   #19

Default What will the external flash do?

A big consideration for me is the ability to use an external bounce/swivel flash for bounce flash indoors that would have TTL metering. Also, i always use fill-flash outdoors, and like to vary the flash output depending on the existing lighting. Does Panasonice make external flashes for its cameras that have these features? Would a third-party flash with the above features work?
bgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:48 AM   #20

Default Re: how about auto-focussing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefimke
It's a shame Panasonic did not use AA batteries... the propietary batteries are very expensive (I've read somewhere 78US$!) and you really need at least 1 extra with a shooting time of a mere 100 minutes.
AA batteries make the camera heavier. You can get 3rd party batteries on eBay for $24.95. I have one and it works fine. Look through this forum for a thread on the batteries.