Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 3, 2003, 4:07 AM   #31

Default Re: No sign of focus-assist light :(

Looking at the pictures, there is no sign of any focus-assist light/window/whatever

Any news on that? Did Panasonic improve anything about the low-light focussing issues? The press release mentioned a lot of things, nothing about focussing though.
stefimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefimke
about the low-light focussing issues? The press release mentioned a lot of things, nothing about focussing though.
what's to improve, low light focussing is fine on FZ1 imo.
FZ10 on the other hand has a manual focuss ring (mechanical).
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Looking at the pictures, there is no sign of any focus-assist light/window/whatever
go here
http://panasonic.jp/dc/fz10/index.html
and click on the fourth link-thing (where the picture of mode selector pops up). there will be a demonstration of the focussing ring I mentioned.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas
I guess this can be improved (DCResource review of the FZ1):
"In good lighting, autofocus speeds were excellent, with the camera taking under a second to lock focus. Shutter lag was virtually nonexistent. In dim lighting, things went downhill -- the camera had a lot of trouble focusing. Here's where an AF-assist lamp would've come in handy. "

...and...

"What I didn't care for:

- No manual controls, except for white balance
- Vignetting, noise, purple fringing in some images
- Poor low light focusing
- Redeye
- EVF impossible to see in low light "

Redeye bothers me not that much, manual controls have been resolved, but the other issues might still be valid. Of what use is a manual focus ring in low light conditions when the EVF is impossible to see in low light?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Quote:
about the low-light focussing issues? The press release mentioned a lot of things, nothing about focussing though.
Correct me if I am wrong, is the manual focusing ring mechanical or fly-by-wire?

thanx!
omar.ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:35 PM   #36

You guys need to chill out! I've never seen so many speculations and conclusions based on preliminary information.

I believe I posted this elsewhere, but fot the benefit of those who missed it... the photos on our web site in Japan were taken with an early camera using firmware that is still in beta stages. We are constantly changing it. You also have to understand that the JPG compression a camera uses is somewhat variable. To see this, take three pictures of thhree different subjects and look at the file size. They will not be the exact same size. The amount of compression will change certain aspects of a photo look differently. So, what some people are calling "noise" could not be farther from the truth.

Just let the camera evolve and make your judgements and conclusions from the finished product.

To answer just a few questions...
We have no intentios of using CF cards. They are significantly slower than SD. SD now has the major portion of the Euro market and in the US it's gaining very fast.

"AA" batteries won't provide the battery life and they are heavier.
The lens and the camera is larger than the FZ1, though still very comfortable to use.

Once the product brochure is approved it will be available through our Call Center in the U.S.

Someone asked about prices in Japan.. I have no idea as I am only associated with the US market.

I enjoy and appreciate the feedback, but please try not to draw your own conclusions ... it's very frustrating for people who are looking to these discussions for guidance.

Thanks
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
I enjoy and appreciate the feedback,Thanks
And thank you Bob!

BTW My offer to test the product still stands!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:01 PM   #38

Default Panasonic Bob please elaborate on autofocussing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
You guys need to chill out! I've never seen so many speculations and conclusions based on preliminary information.
Bob,

Indeed I'm quite annoyed by all the people bashing especially the two fontain sample shots. The other shots look WAY better and nobody is talking about those.

Could you _please_ elaborate on one item which is up to now not mentioned: auto-focussing: speeds, shutter lag, low-light focussing, what kind of focussing system is used?

Thanks,
Stefan
Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:38 PM   #39

Quote:
virtually nonexistent. In dim lighting, things went downhill -- the camera had a lot of trouble focusing. Here's where an AF-assist lamp would've come in handy. "
yeah, I know about that review. I also know that all other reviews I've seen or heard about are much more positive (although this one is not negative too
I've also read posts by people, who exchanged the camera because the low light autofocus was unusable. but I myself have experienced pratically no trouble with that. about 5 or 10% at very most of all low light photos I've taken were unusably out of focuss (and usually those are deleted immediately and repeated) and I've taken probaly more than 1000 of those already. the speed would not differ by the noticable extent, allthough some super-intensive shooting may result in that. Once I dide a lot of pictures of something I thought was Mars (night, full zoom), and in the end camera suddenly started to take 4-5 seconds to focuss (back and forth, back and forth, back and forth..). it lasted for more than 5 tries. After that it came back to normal. I'd call it an anomaly, cause it happend only once. Also once in a photo session of ~10 photos indoors the focussing was not good on some 7 or 8 photos out of ten (very quick, but wrong), even with flash. I have no explanation for that. However, such situation is very satisfactory for my amateur needs.
so here are my experiences. I do not know why some other users experienced constant problems (especially in the begining).
Would this assistant lamp thingie (:idea people mention come in handy? I don't even know what it is
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:09 PM   #40

Default Accessories in the USA?

Panasonic Bob,

Do you know yet whether the accessory lenses and flash will be available in the US market?

I was leaning towards the Sony F828 since my B300 teleconverter wasn't going to work on the FZ10's rumored 72mm filter. But if Panasonic will have the teleconverter available here, AND the potential to use a bounce flash, that makes the FZ10 my number one pick.

Just one suggestion to pass on to the marketing people... PLEASE have them bring more black units of the FZ10 here. I tried forever to buy an FZ-1K and ended up having to get a 1S because NOBODy had the 1K -- retailers didn't carry it, and the online stores only seemed to have them in stock one day every six weeks...

Thanks much for your support here. I've done the online rep thing, and I know it's a "not thankless, but the insanity outweighs the thank yous you actually get" job. :-)
dennya is offline   Reply With Quote