Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:09 PM   #1

Hello there,

I am using my FZ18(firmware 1.0.5)since last December and have seen this problem appear randomly. Please look at the atatched picture. The lower part of the picture has different exposure/colours and is offset from rest of the picture. The offset is always horizontal and can cover 15-50% of the image.

This happens with several different SD/SDHC (class 6) cards. Although never noticed one with videos. (could this mean some problem with shutter?)

I have lost so many good pictures due to this problem. Is there anything wrong with my settings? Has anyone see this problem? Before sending my camera for repairs, I want to find out from the experts here.

Please help me.

Thank you.
Attached Images

kmayur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:34 AM   #2

That is very typical of a corrupt photo and almost always has something to do with the card.......

1st question does that show up when the photo is reviewed on the camera just after taking the photo........if not I would say that is more evidence it is in the card or the method of transfer to the computer.

If it is there during the review just after the photo is taken....then I would be sure the card is freshly formatted in the camera and not by a computer.....

Then I would make sure all the contacts on the card and in the camera are clean and dust free. A pencil eraser will clean the contacts on the card. you may need to use something like deoxit on the camera contacts.....

One other thing use the Panasonic battery and keep it fully charged.

Let us know the answer to some of these points.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Thank you for the response.

This never shows up in picture review in camera.

This is how I transfer the pictures to computer. I use a card reader (external or built-in) and transfer pictures. What is surprising is this happens with multiple cards. I actually transfer pictures back to card and import one day at time. (so there are several trips for a picture back and forth between laptop and card)

If you think, this might be the root cause, I will try without such practice and respond as soon as the camera is back from Panasonic support.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:13 PM   #4

Depending on how often this happens I would try and eliminate the sources, perhaps do not use the laptop then do not use the same reader......or USB cable.

If panasonic finds the cause and they should unless it only happens a few times out of a thousand photos, let us know what they say was the problem......

It still could be as simple as a dirty contact and since you say it happens with several cards I would think its the camera contact.......

I do not believe in transferring photos back and forth but that is only my opinion.....and based on nothing other than many people with card problems seem to do things like that.

I also do not believe in using the camera for the transfer but it may be worth a try to use the camera and see if that eliminates the problem. Lots of builtin readers have problems and many laptops also have problems with cards over 1 gb....but most newer laptops have moved past that point.

I also believe in formatting the cards in the camera on a regular basis and I do not believe in using the camera for cleanup or deleting photos........but once again its only because following my system I have not had a card problem in about 7 years and that is several hundred thousand photos. And it may or may not have anything to do with your problem

Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:01 PM   #5

First, may I ask if you have had this problem with internal memory? I recently found a problem where using manual exposure mode, setting a manual white balance, I sometimes had the whole picture looking like a dark green filter covered the lens. I returned the camera (under guarantee) and had a software upgrade. Only collected yesterday, so I don't know if this had reolved matter yet.

snooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:38 PM   #6

Here is an update:

Just received the camera from Panasonic support. Looks like they have replaced the lens assembly and related circuitry.

I was expecting a simpler software fix, but this turned out to be bigger problem. Thank God I had the camera under warranty.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:52 AM   #7

Thanks for the update.....