Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Does anybody know if is it there any model comming soonto replace the FZ-50?, or Panasonic will continue with the SLR Lumix series forgetting the great FZ 15/20/30/50 series?
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2

msantos-

I am also a FZ-50 user. There does not seem to be a FZ-60 on the horizon, so I am considering the Panasonic L-1 or L-10.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:58 PM   #3

msantos wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know if is it there any model comming soonto replace the FZ-50?, or Panasonic will continue with the SLR Lumix series forgetting the great FZ 15/20/30/50 series?
If Panasonic does, they'll just be the last in a long line of top-rated digicams abandoned in the move to DSLR's.

Unfortunately in Panasonic's case, they seem to be the least-able of all the other companiesto sell DSLR's in anyvolume that would make anysensediscontinuing such a fine and popularline as the FZ series. I love my FZ50 and may yet buy a second to have a backup for the day something does happen to my original unit. There's little else being made today at it's current price pointI would consider as being competitive.

I already own a DSLR, an Olympus E510...never even considered Panasonic due to the vitually non-existent lens lineup. Olympus Digital Zuikolenses fit, but Olympus won't be making any lenses with optical image stabilization built-inand Panasonic doesn't offer anything other than the 14-150 in the tele range. To be honest, Panasonic seems to be nothing more than a DSLR wannabe, more than anythingdedicated to nothingother than their huge array of compacts.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:02 PM   #4

Thanks for your responses, Let me talk a little about me. I was a happy FZ-15 then Fz-30 owner. I really loved my camera, but I decided to move to Konica-Minolta DSLR. As my budget was short, I had to sell my Lumix.

The DSLR is great, but I really miss my FZ-30. Now I'm considering buying a FZ-50, but I'm not sure because of high noise at high ISO. I hope Panasonic spend time on fixing that and continue being the most succesfull superzoom, instead of being a mediocre DSLR player.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5

msantos wrote:
Quote:

The DSLR is great, but I really miss my FZ-30. Now I'm considering buying a FZ-50, but I'm not sure because of high noise at high ISO. I hope Panasonic spend time on fixing that and continue being the most succesfull superzoom, instead of being a mediocre DSLR player.
There is an answer for that, and it's called RAW. No, you can't shoot the FZ50 at ISO 1600 and get great results, but with the fast f3.7 420mmlens, you can shoot it at ISO 400 and getvery niceresults, which would be the equivalent of you shooting an f4-5.6 tele lens at the fastest f5.6 telesetting and ISO 800, so there is a lot of flexibility.

These were all shot RAWwith an FZ50 at ISO 400. You can click on the images and they'll open up at my web page allowing you to view or download the full-sized file if you want to look closer..

Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:04 AM   #6

Greg,

those are superb shots. presume you used tripod as flash would not be allowed - what were the other camera settings for (particularly) the 'vault' scene. Also may i ask what mode did you use for these indoor scenes? They really show what the 50 can do!
mikeysaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7

mikeysaling wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

those are superb shots. presume you used tripod as flash would not be allowed - what were the other camera settings for (particularly) the 'vault' scene. Also may i ask what mode did you use for these indoor scenes? They really show what the 50 can do!
Thanks!

Actually, they are allhand-held shots. Most of those places a tripod would not have been allowed, or, as you said, a flash.

Those were originally spread out over several folders on my website, but I've started an FZ50RAW-only folder and have them all loaded there, where you can click on them to see the exposure settings..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...7_MjMq6#P-1-15

The vault shotis in the Mo√ęt & Chandon caves in Epernay, France, where all the "good stuff" is aged....over 100 million bottles we were told is how many are down there! I stay mainly in Program with my FZ50, every once & a while going to Aperture or ShutterPriority. The ISO setting for that shotwas 400, with a shutter speed of 1/2 second. I had the side of the camera pressed against the cave wall to keep it as steady as possible, and I recall it taking 2-3 shots before I got one I was happy with.

I processed the file through the included Silkypix RAW converter. All of theimages in the above folder were processed that way. With the settings I'm using for ISO 400 and 800 images, the FZ50 is very capable of producing good quality files when pressed into needing to actually use those settings. They still have issues, especially if blown up to 100% and in the darker areas, but a print up to 8x10 or letter size is far, far short of 100% viewing and all I am after in terms of getting a good quality image at those settings.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:51 PM   #8

Excellent photos, Greg.
I have tended to avoid shooting more than ISO 200, although I do shoot RAW on occasion when conditions seem to warrant it.
Your pictures encourage me to use higher ISO's more extensively - (even though one should recognise that good photos are due more to the skill of the photographer - such as you- rather than the camera!)
Nice work, thanks for posting.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:15 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
There does not seem to be a FZ-60 on the horizon,
Sarah Joyce
I would agree with you.
Early in the year there was a flurry of activity on the forums to the effect that the FZ50 was being discontinued. This was accompanied by discounting and out-of-stock conditions at many dealers. The inference at that time was that the distribution pipeline was being cleared to make room for an upgrade.
Then the Fuji S100Fs was announced with a larger sensor, lower pixel density and more zoom. Whereupon, stocks of FZ50s's since appear to have been replenished and the camera seems , once again, to be readily available.
Could this mean that Panny has been obliged to rethink their specs for a potential FZ60 upgrade and have been obliged to go back to the drawing board? If so, the FZ-60 may take a long time to show up - if at all.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:48 AM   #10

I really enjoyed those, and shows what a great camera the FZ50 is in the right hands.. I usually dont use over ISO 200 on my FZ50, but since I had to send in my sticking lens for my Panasonic L1 and will not get it back before I leave for Ecuador will have to get at using higher ISO.

Here is a practice shot of ISO 800 in RAWof my wife preparing a wonderful dinner. Surprisingly in a crunch you can get some keepers at ISO 800.

ssvs is offline   Reply With Quote