Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:05 PM   #1

I'm hoping to buy a TZ5 for my upcoming trip to Yellowstone. I really want to like this camera but I'm really put off by reported problems with the autofocus during video.

Supposedly a firmware update fixed the CAF problem during video and current cameras should be okay.

Are any of you recent buyers of the Pany TZ5? Can you give me your impressions of the video with this camera. On paper, it looks like what I want.

Thanks for any input.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:34 PM   #2

Hello Jack!

Cell phones are not ment to be still cameras and still cameras are not ment to be video cameras. Just as photos from a cell phone are not optimum quality video footage from a digital still camera will never be considered by Steven Spielberg!

Tz-5 is a super camera, nice wide angle, 2 forms of stabilization and auto intelegence to let you concentrate on compostion and avoiding being eaten by a bear.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

If the TZ5 comes with built in bear repellant, I'll have to get one. I'll let my wife carry my Canon TX1 to take excellent HD video of the bear running away from me.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:17 AM   #4
Super Moderator

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Cell phones are not ment to be still cameras and still cameras are not ment to be video cameras. Just as photos from a cell phone are not optimum quality video footage from a digital still camera will never be considered by Steven Spielberg!
They might not be meant to be for optimum video quality but for what it is the camera does a great job...... also no video camera that any of us could justify purchasing in our lifetime would be considered by Steven Spielberg

It was one of the mainreasons I bought the TZ5, I was aware of the continuous AF problems prior to purchasing and now with the new firmware it is still not perfect but it is a lot better than it was. For a lot of things I will choose fixed focus as once over a certain distance you are at infinity anyway so with a wide dof there is not an issue. It is only if you are using full zoom and going from near to far that itneeds to be in continuous.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote