Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 5, 2005, 4:44 PM   #11

Panasonic wrote:
Quote:
Our lens are Leica lens. They design the lens to our mechanical specifications and we marry ourtechnology to their lens. Again, so much speculation tends to cloud the issue and often leads to inaccurate conclusions.
Ok Leica design yes, and leica manufactured in germany ???
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:00 PM   #12

No Leitz is not manufactured in Germany. At one time they were manufactured and assembled in Canada, then in Taiwan, where now I'm not to sure. South Africa at one stage as well.

Leitz or Leica would NEVER allow permission to use that name and brand if it didn't come up to scratch. Panasonic also makes lens elements for Leitz.......so I believe :-)

All the best folks.ThePanasonicoptics and glass is very, very sharp, so never doubt it.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:09 PM   #13

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
No Leitz is not manufactured in Germany. At one time they were manufactured and assembled in Canada, then in Taiwan, where now I'm not to sure. South Africa at one stage as well.

Leitz or Leica would NEVER allow permission to use that name and brand if it didn't come up to scratch. Panasonic also makes lens elements for Leitz.......so I believe :-)

All the best folks. The Panasonic optics and glass is very, very sharp, so never doubt it.

Danny.
Thanks,
The Lumix OIS is actually a canon idea (the gyroscope)
and the lenses are made BY canon...
could this be true....
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks,
could this be true....
If it did, its a bit like Nikon DSLR's using Sony ccd's. Nothing wrong in using a design or using that as a basis to start with.

I would say, withwhat they have come out with so far, look out the rest with what is to come. Could be wrong but doubt its a Canon design IS system. Sony also usedoptical image stabilisation as well. Before Canon actually used it. So that would be open for debate as well. My Sony CD-1000 has a better IS system than the Panasonic's, by that I mean I can shoot in less light using the samesettings and the Sony shows less shake or vibration. Still the IS in the Panasonic is impressive. I can't shoot with out it and thats the main reason I went for the FZ10 at the time after the Sony. Mode2 is pretty good.

The lenses made by Canon, naaaa, someone has it wrong or is having you on IMO. Panasonic has their own lens design and manufacturing factory. Don't forget some of the Canon cameras are using Sony ccd's as well. I can't see Canon making something for the Panasonic at all. its not their style. If you have a link, post it and I'll take a look. it could be interesting :-)

All only IMHO and what I see.

Danny.

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:55 PM   #15

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks,
could this be true....
If it did, its a bit like Nikon DSLR's using Sony ccd's. Nothing wrong in using a design or using that as a basis to start with.

I would say, with what they have come out with so far, look out the rest with what is to come. Could be wrong but doubt its a Canon design IS system. Sony also used optical image stabilisation as well. Before Canon actually used it. So that would be open for debate as well. My Sony CD-1000 has a better IS system than the Panasonic's, by that I mean I can shoot in less light using the same settings and the Sony shows less shake or vibration. Still the IS in the Panasonic is impressive. I can't shoot with out it and thats the main reason I went for the FZ10 at the time after the Sony. Mode2 is pretty good.

The lenses made by Canon, naaaa, someone has it wrong or is having you on IMO. Panasonic has their own lens design and manufacturing factory. Don't forget some of the Canon cameras are using Sony ccd's as well. I can't see Canon making something for the Panasonic at all. its not their style. If you have a link, post it and I'll take a look. it could be interesting :-)

All only IMHO and what I see.

Danny.
There was link to canon RE IS but its been taken off.
Its all speculative, its true tho, the Lumix lenses are sharp.....

cheers
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:41 PM   #16

Perhaps the following link will end this thread of mis-information and rumor.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...up/from_leica/

Have a great day

LarryB
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:32 PM   #17

Larry Bradford wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps the following link will end this thread of mis-information and rumor.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...up/from_leica/

Have a great day

LarryB
Cool link Larry...
It appears then that the lens elements for lumix come from leica in solm and panasonic do the rest.

Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:44 PM   #18

To me, it does not matter who made the lense. What does matter is that it is a lense that has yet to be beat, and the main reason that the Lumix line is what it is.

When I bought my FZ20, I did'nt know anything about camera's let alone what a Leica was.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:27 PM   #19

Thats an excellent link thanks Larry. I'll pour a coffee and have a good read of that. We learn something new every day. Cheers Larry

Danny.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:50 AM   #20

And at Luminous landscapes it looks like Panasonic are producing the Leica digital cameras for Leitz. They are also saying that Panasonic made the CCD for the Canon 1D, interesting. At one time Minolta were making the Leica-CL

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...x2-part1.shtml

Anyway, as Bob said, it takes sharp shots no matter what comes from where I guess :-)

Danny.