Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:27 AM   #11

Torgny wrote:
Quote:

I could elaborate on this but I don't find it necessary. You already know what I'm after. Is there any ways to make the camera work for you when you have a certain idea of settings for a picture and you do not want to use the presets of the scene modes

Torgny

I'm not really sure how much more helpful giving a mode like aperture priority on this little camera would be....it isn't like you would have five or six stops to chose from. At any one focal length, there's only two or three apertures used. Unless you are shooting in macro mode and/or at the maximum tele setting at the closest focus distance, depth of field is going to behuge whether theTZ5 has chosen f3.3 at 28mm or f11 anywhere else.

There are options the user can impose to get to the results you want. Change the metering mode from multi segment to centerweightedor spot. Play with the exposure compensation. Metering mode changes, especially to spotin particular can wildly change the results you get depending on where you point the spot.

In this particular indoorimage, multi-segment metering was completely blowing the detail on the books pages, so I changed to spot, added some exposure compensation and wound up with exactly the look I wanted. Didn't need aperture priority, all manualso I could set everything by myself or even RAW capture....just used the right metering pattern...

You don't need shutter speed priority to shoot action in daylight. Just preset the camera and shoot as the subjects pass through the field of view. Don't try panning...doesn't work so good and that's not what this camera is designed to do well anyway, but you fire off enough shots and you'll get some good ones..

Instead of lamenting abouteverything theTZ5 does not offer, use what it DOES have. This camera is not marketed with advanced shooters looking for RAW capture and all the bells and whistles of every exposure modein mind. This is a point & shoot for the average point & shoot user, but with some good controls that does allow one with a knowledge of metering patterns and exposure compensation the ability to have some input in the process.

If I need more control, I use either my Panasonic FZ50 or Olympus E510 DSLR. If you need more control,something similar iswhat you need to be using too. I have a feeling, three generations into this series, you aren't going to be getting anything more in the next model either.

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:33 AM   #12

Torgny wrote:
Quote:

So here is another new born. Has anybody made a complete list of what every single scene really does in terms of

speed

aperture

light sensitivity

No, because I don't use the scenemodes. Never have. They aren't necessary if you know what you're doing other than maybe the one or two that gives you longer exposure options for shooting subjects like fire works, but if I'm shooting a subject like that, I'll be using an option that makes more sense..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...25670704_CikgJ
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:45 PM   #13

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Greg Chappell wrote:

Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

So here is another new born. Has anybody made a complete list of what every single scene really does in terms of

speed

aperture

light sensitivity

No, because I don't use the scenemodes. Never have. They aren't necessary if you know what you're doing other than maybe the one or two that gives you longer exposure options for shooting subjects like fire works, but if I'm shooting a subject like that, I'll be using an option that makes more sense..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...25670704_CikgJ
Thank you, Greg, for your elaboration. And: brilliant photographs.

I like the camera. Very versatile. Also have a Fuji F31fd, dropped a couple of times and with several thousands actuations. It has A or S possibilities. I have used them with some decent results. Will use the Fuji only indoors or in very low light, since it is in a pretty bad shape

Have instaIled the new firmware. I'm satisfied with colour, detail and sharpness of the TZ5. Picture: Dam construction

Torgny

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:55 PM   #14

I was wondering if this is correct, I called Panasonic and asked them about installing the newer version of firmware and they said if I was not having a problem to not install it. If I did, it could harm my camera. Is this true?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:04 PM   #15

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

gellis1 wrote:

Quote:
I was wondering if this is correct, I called Panasonic and asked them about installing the newer version of firmware and they said if I was not having a problem to not install it. If I did, it could harm my camera. Is this true?
Perhps Greg should answer this question. I can only say that if you follow the instructions, and have computer skills, there is no problem. Let's hear what Greg has to say

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:30 PM   #16

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
The only way I could see the camera being worse off would be if your battery dies while the new firmware is being written in the camera or if you hit any button on the cameraduring the process. Panasonic is very specific in their instructions that you use a freshly charged battery. If it dies before the firmware is finish being updated, the camera will be unuseable and you will need to send it to Panasonic to be fixed.

You have to load the file that handles the update to the SD card. Once you load the card and turn the camera on,the camerarecognizes the file and begins the update. After I did the update, I took the card out of the camera, plugged it into my computer and removed the file before putting the card back in to the camera.

I updated the firmware in mine shortly after it was made available. It does not take long for the firmware adjustment to happen once it starts. Just several seconds, so the battery would need to be pretty close to exhausted when you start to die during the process, but you knowPanasonic's got to be politically correct in their instructions or risk a bunch of people complaining they were not warned. If you don't know how much power is left in your battery, stick it in the charger for 30 minutes before doing the updateand you shouldbe fine.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:47 PM   #17

Well I blinked and updated the firmware. It happen so quick I didn't think it worked. The way they tell you to have a fully charged battery leads you to believe it takes a long time. Thanks for all your help Greg. One more question please, my camera displays military time,is there a way to change it?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:29 PM   #18

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
my camera displays military time,is there a way to change it?
I think that's the only option. I can't see how you'd change it.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:56 PM   #19

I am sure "the owners guide" will tell you how to select 12 or 24 hour clock settings.

Try page 18 or 19.

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:41 PM   #20

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
I am sure "the owners guide" will tell you how to select 12 or 24 hour clock settings.

Try page 18 or 19.

BiLL
You are right as far as the pages go...and it saysthere is only a 24 hour clock setting.