Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:41 PM   #1

I have put down my FZ30 for a while and purchased a TZ5. What a nice point & shoot camera. What should I set the Intelligent ISO on. Should I have it off. I'm not sure what it does.. What are the optimum settings I should use? also I have a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card and a 2 GB SanDisk SD card (not Ultra II) Which card is better?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:07 PM   #2

There is no optimum settings!

It's like buying a pair of shoes. Those that fit your style are right regardless what the size tag says.

Just go down the list of variables and try them all to see what works with your shooting style. Don't use fire works mode for sports.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:25 PM   #3

OK so what is the Intelligent ISO settings all about? The manual doesn't explain it very well.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:20 PM   #4

AI = auto intelligent

One of the many AI features is that the camera will change iso as it thiks is needed for various situations.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:51 AM   #5

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
I have put down my FZ30 for a while and purchased a TZ5. What a nice point & shoot camera. What should I set the Intelligent ISO on. Should I have it off. I'm not sure what it does.. What are the optimum settings I should use? also I have a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II card and a 2 GB SanDisk SD card (not Ultra II) Which card is better?

The TZ5 is a great little point & shoot. I recently took mine shortly after buying it, instead of my DSLR or Panny FZ50, on vacation and used the Intelligent Auto shooting most of these images..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...96939589_cmkXQ

There are two ways you can use this camera and pretty much get the same type results. Which way you decide to use it depends on how much input you like to have in the final image..

1. Set it on the iA mode and just leave it there. The camera actually breaks the scene down into areas and can apply different ISO settings to bring up shadow detail while leaving hghlights alone. It's pretty incredible how it works, but in the iA mode you have few choices in terms of exposure compensation, where you only have a "backlight" option and only two flash options...on and off.

2. Use the regular exposure mode (the red camera icon), and in the quick menu, turn on the Intellgent Exposure option. That tends to give somewhat the same results as above, BUT you still have the option of using the regular +/- exposure compensation of up to two stops in either direction and you retain all flash options, including slow sync.

In the regular mode, you also have the option of turning on the redeye correction tool (the 2nd and 4th options in the flash menu)that fixes redeye at the time the shot is taken. You can zoom this camera all the way out to 280mm and shoot indoors with the flash and never see a redeye to have to correct in post processing....pretty cool.

In the above vacation images, I used the iA mode for most all the shots, but went back to the regular AUTO mode, using the slow sync (4th flash option down on the menu)and redeye correction in the flash shots I took. I've since added two other folders, one where I've used the regular AUTO mode with Intelligent Auto turned on (my favorite way of using this camera today)...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...25633400_Q8cXZ

and this folder, where I've used pretty much all the options at one time or another..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...17148286_b2aa8

I think the type card depends on whether you plan to shoot the HD movies. I'm no movie shooter...my TZ5 is strictly a still image shooter. I used a "regular" 4 GB Sandisk card (the blue one) on vacationand never had any slowdowns in shot to shot performance, never having to wait once when I wanted to shoot another image. For strictly still image shooting, any SD card will work fine.

If you plan to shoot movies, I'd buy the biggest and fastest card you can.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:44 AM   #6

Thanks Greg, you have been very helpful. There is an Intelligent ISO setting in the menu. Do you know what that is all about?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:23 PM   #7

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Greg, you have been very helpful. There is an Intelligent ISO setting in the menu. Do you know what that is all about?
In the regular Auto mode, the camera will go only as high as ISO 400 when you have Auto ISO turned on. In order to keep Intelligent Exposure enabled, you have to keep the ISO set to AUTO. The minute you dial in a manual ISO setting, Intelligent Exposure will be disabled.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Intelligent ISO allows you to adjust the highest available ISO the camera will set in Auto ISO. There are three maximums you can set...ISO 400, 800 and/or 1600. The reason ISO 400 is included is because the camera in Intelligent ISO is supposed to detect subject motion and adjust the ISO at a faster rate than itdoes with Intelligent ISO turned offto keep shutter speeds up and the subject sharp. That's what it's SUPPOSED to do. I have no idea if it does or not. Haven't tried it.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:40 PM   #8

Sorry for being so hard headed, my settings for Intelligent ISO are, OFF / isomax 400 / isomax 800 / isomax 1600. What happens when I set it to OFF? There is no auto!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:05 PM   #9

If you set Intelligent ISO to off, the camera will select an ISO between 100-400 in the regular Auto mode ifthe ISO setting isset to AUTO ISO on the quick menu. You still have the "regular"ISO setting on the quick menu which you have to set to either Auto or manually to an ISO of your choosing. I leave mine set to AUTO so the Intelligent Exposure option can be turned on.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:04 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Participants in this thread,

If you have the time, check out this thread in the landscape section

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

So here is another new born. Has anybody made a complete list of what every single scene really does in terms of

speed

aperture

light sensitivity

Strange camera. You have to adjust to it, work with it, on its terms. Normally the camera is working with you

I could elaborate on this but I don't find it necessary. You already know what I'm after. Is there any ways to make the camera work for you when you have a certain idea of settings for a picture and you do not want to use the presets of the scene modes

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote