Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1

Hi, I just bought an FZ18 a week ago, I've taken quite a few pics with it and tonight with the gorgeous full moon, I tried to use the optical and digital zoom together like I always did with my FZ20 and it just would NOT focus...I've had some focus problems on close ups of flowers and things too, not in macro but just trying it on autofocus and it just doesn't focus as well

Did anyone else have any problems or do you have any good tips for using the FZ18???

Thanks for listening

Linda
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:11 AM   #2

I have a FZ50. I've found that spot focus seems to work better for me most of the time. Give spot focus a try on your FZ18 and see if there's a difference. Also, focus on the edge of the moon for the most contrast which the FZ camera focus relies on, half press to lock the focus, recompose the shot while holding the half press, then press fully to take the picture.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:19 AM   #3

I have a FZ20 and a FZ18.......and without a doubt I find things very different than you........I was never a real fan of the focus of the FZ20 when compared to the the FZ10 and the newer FZs.......Try different focus modes I prefer 1 area High speed, and if you switch to Macro AF you will find the FZ18 much better for macros at full tele than the older FZs........about the moon it may be that your exposure is not good enough and the camera is having a hard time finding a high contrast edge......

But I would avoid the digital zoom in favor of the Extended optical zoom but that is only my preference. I do not wish to argue the merits or lack of with EZ but IMHO, there is nothing to gain with digital zoom, that could not be done in an editor.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:51 AM   #4

Thanks SO much Skylark, I will try it! Things ARE much different than the FZ20, I sold it to a friend and I was wondering if I had done the right thing...lol!

I sure appreciate your taking time to answer.

Linda
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:54 AM   #5

Thanks so much for your input, I guess I'm lost...what is EZ and how do I use it?

This is my third Panasonic Lumix, I also had a TZ1...sold it to my son and sold the FZ20 to my friend for cheap after I purchased the FZ18...so I was hoping I hadn't made a mistake. I think I'm just not used to the new camera yet. Was hoping some of you FZ18 owners would post some tips and tricks, I've been on here since 2004, I truly DO love the Panasonic cameras.

Thanks again for your info and input

Linda
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:21 AM   #6

redparrot53 wrote:
Quote:
....and tonight with the gorgeous full moon...
Doesn't it have an 'inifity' setting, like every camera I've ever owned in 48 years of cameras, film & digital? Or a manual mode you can push to its far limit? The moon is 250,000 miles away, which is photographically pretty infinite.

On the other hand, if you were shooting Earth-based objects by moonlight, every autofocus camera I've had has had a lot of trouble in dim lighting, so that manual guesswork worked better.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote