Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:07 PM   #11

Please read my other responses that explain that at this time we are heavily involved in evaluating the operational performance of this model. Service manuals and theory of design information is not yet available.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible, but I'm unable to provide the specific answers you request due to the point in the time linee we are at with this camera.

Once final production units are available the media will review them and you'll have your answers. I honestly feel that such independent information is more meaningful than anything I can offer.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Please read my other responses that explain that at this time we are heavily involved in evaluating the operational performance of this model. Service manuals and theory of design information is not yet available.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as possible, but I'm unable to provide the specific answers you request due to the point in the time linee we are at with this camera.

Once final production units are available the media will review them and you'll have your answers. I honestly feel that such independent information is more meaningful than anything I can offer.
Fair enough, as long as you post the answers as soon as Panasonic declares the information fit for public consumption.

Best regards,
Alex.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:39 PM   #13

What is the body of the FZ10, metal or plastic? If plastic, what type. is the viewfinder TTL?
Bill
grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
is the viewfinder TTL?
The viewfinder is electronic, like a video camera. It's a tiny LCD. The popular term is "EVF" (electronic view finder).
Chromudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:30 AM   #15

When you snap the shutter on the DMC-FZ10, does the viewfinder remain "live" or does it continue to display the image just taken for a second or so? When a burst is taken, does the image stay "live" throughout the burst so that you can make sure you're still framing the subject properly?

I'm asking about this because the Kodak DX6490 freezes the image (or goes blank) for 2.5 seconds as soon as the shutter is pressed, making it impossible to use 'burst' effectively, and also making it difficult to use red-eye reduction without risking moving the camera. By contrast, the Fuji S5000's viewfinder remains "live" at all times.

Thanks!
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 8:52 PM   #16

Hi all,

I’m looking for my first digital camera coming from a 35mm PHI (Push Here Idiot) and want something I can grow into rather than grow out of. I have one knowledgeable friend who has advised me on things to look for in a camera but would like to hear from others. Two points he said I should focus on (aside from megapixels and optical zoom) based on my rookie status is the ability to focus in low light and a hot shoe. I’m interested in the Fuji Finepix S5000 and S7000 however the S5000 does not have a hot shoe and the S7000 does not have an AF assist light. The Panasonic FZ10 is a contender as well but I’m concerned about it not having an AF assist light.

-Panasonic Bob,
From a manufactures point of view, could you tell me why so few cameras on the market offer both features on the same camera?

-Panasonic Bob and other forum members,
When I buy a camera I intend to use it for indoor photos (6-12 foot range) and also want to be able to shoot the little league baseball games, indoor school plays, etc. Since the Canon EOS Rebel is out of my price range ($999 US dollars) what should I focus on if I have to choose between a hot shoe and AF assist light and why? Any models you recommend? I want 3 MP or greater and 6X or greater optical zoom.

Thanks.
new to it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:44 PM   #17

A couple questions for you. Since $999 is out of your budget and the FZ10 sells for around $599. How much will you have left in your budget for an additional flash for that hot shoe? I've been photographing for quite a few years and had my share of digicams and SLRs and never once used an additional flash unit. I just use the on camera flash. How often do you plan on needing more flash than the camera's own unit? I've had quite a few cameras without the autofocus assist light and yes the focus hunts a bit before it finally locks in but I haven't had any times whe it could not focus. If you are going to shoot baseball games a good long zoom would be helpful and the stabilazation on the FZ10 could come in real handy in that type of situation.
moretoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:13 AM   #18

By far, the most common question we receive is why wasn't "feature X" included or why did you choose to include a particular feature. Tyere aare several factors that contribute to te final product.

· First and foremost, understand that any opinions you encounter on any on line discussion usually represent the wants / needs / desires of that particular group. The group can be anywhere from 25-100 DSC users. While their opinions are valued, from a statistical point of view they only represent a very miniscule slice of the entire DSC market. Features that are important to one person may not carry the same priority with another. When either of those customers joins an on line discussion their “opinion” often grows to what is sometimes mistakenly recognized as a vast public need (or dislike) for a feature.
· As each model is conceived it is aimed at a specific market. The design receives a budget and the number of features selected will be limited by the development cost and anticipated popularity. The anticipated popularity is derived from extensive market studies both in the U.S. and abroad.
· The “feature set” is decided by a panel of people in the design and planning areas of our company (in Japan).
· Once the design matures into a working sample the likelihood of adding or changing features is very small. The reengineering and retooling is just too cost prohibitive.
· However, in some rare situations, changes have been made at the last minute. It is those very situations that prohibit a manufacturer from discussing any aspects of a product before it’s officially announced and released. That slim possibility and the “subject to change without notice” clause could result in some embarrassing situations.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
By far, the most common question we receive is why wasn't "feature X" included or why did you choose to include a particular feature. Tyere aare several factors that contribute to te final product.

· First and foremost, understand that any opinions you encounter on any on line discussion usually represent the wants / needs / desires of that particular group. The group can be anywhere from 25-100 DSC users. While their opinions are valued, from a statistical point of view they only represent a very miniscule slice of the entire DSC market. Features that are important to one person may not carry the same priority with another. When either of those customers joins an on line discussion their “opinion” often grows to what is sometimes mistakenly recognized as a vast public need (or dislike) for a feature.
· As each model is conceived it is aimed at a specific market. The design receives a budget and the number of features selected will be limited by the development cost and anticipated popularity. The anticipated popularity is derived from extensive market studies both in the U.S. and abroad.
· The “feature set” is decided by a panel of people in the design and planning areas of our company (in Japan).
· Once the design matures into a working sample the likelihood of adding or changing features is very small. The reengineering and retooling is just too cost prohibitive.
· However, in some rare situations, changes have been made at the last minute. It is those very situations that prohibit a manufacturer from discussing any aspects of a product before it’s officially announced and released. That slim possibility and the “subject to change without notice” clause could result in some embarrassing situations.
Bob, is it possible for you to try to run an idea by the "panel of people in the design and planning areas of our company (in Japan)" and tell us whether they are open to it?

The idea is very simple: set up a web site on which we will be able to "vote" on which features we consider the most important.
Panasonic gets free user feedback and market research, we get the option of making our wishes heard, it is a win-win situation.

So, for example, if whoever is the decision maker for the Lumix series (perhaps one of these) wants to know what the market desires, he could get a fairly large statistical sample saying that X people that identified themselves as "professional photographers" want a larger CCD while Y "recreational users" desire better low-light performance (or whatever...)

Obviously, some technical issues need to be addressed (to eliminate the possibility of ballot stuffing for example) but these problems have been solved quite a while ago and there are several customizable solutions available.

I always find it strange that companies pay huge sums for "market research" when they could just ask the market almost for free.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:55 AM   #20

Bob, is it possible for you to try to run an idea by the "panel of people in the design and planning areas of our company (in Japan)" and tell us whether they are open to it?

<RESPONSE>
Great idea, but it will never happen. Planning can be 18-24 months ahead of production. Having the general public "vote" would disclose the products to the competition. You have a better chance getting public tours of NSA!!

The idea is very simple: set up a web site on which we will be able to "vote" on which features we consider the most important.
Panasonic gets free user feedback and market research, we get the option of making our wishes heard, it is a win-win situation.
<RESPONSE>
Recall what I said...
The people in these forums represent anout .0000000001 % of the decision process.

I always find it strange that companies pay huge sums for "market research" when they could just ask the market almost for free.

<RESPONSE>
Yes, and in doing so the competition knows whay you are up to ;-)
You need to understand the fierce competition in this market.