Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 4, 2003, 6:33 PM   #1

Default Questions for Bob (Panasonic) regarding the DMC-FZ10

Bob,

Since you are a technicaal person and are evaluating the FZ10 at the moment, would you mind giving us some technical (as opposed to "marketing") information about the camera?

I am especially interested to know what are the differences between the FZ10 and the FZ2 (apart from the different CCD and bigger size). Specifically:

- Has the AF been improved? In what ways?

- Did the lag time and shot-to-shot cycle changed?

- Any other changes?

Thank you.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:20 AM   #2

At this time I can only respond to issues that I am 100% clear on and those which have been verified by our design engineers. I've requested clarification on these points and when received I will share them.

My own testing shows that the FZ10 and FZ1 both respond about the sme, perhaps the FZ10 is a tad faster in AF. However since AF response time is variable (depebding on light levels) it's difficult to comment on. Also, remember that I am testing an engineering sample which is constantly being upgraded so all my results are changing almost daily.

Al in all, I've found the FZ10 to be a very robust camera that offers many new features that the FZ1 did not offer. Battery life is as good as the FZ1 and the largers lens using a 72mm diameter really does well in lower light.

Larger in this case is better in my opinion as it gives me more to hold on to. I also own a complete Canon F1 and A1 35 mm system so larger cameras are very familiar to me.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Also, remember that I am testing an engineering sample which is constantly being upgraded so all my results are changing almost daily.
Is your input considered in the "constant upgrades"?

If so, could you please ask the "upgraders" to pay attention to the issues that people complain about (regarding the FZ1) in the dpreview forums?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 6:45 AM   #4

Default EVF and LCD

Hello Sir ,

Can you confirm some change for the LCD and or EVF ?
( not firmware dependent )

Regards
Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5

Issues people "compain" about are not necessarily faults. More often these are issues that don't live up to the customer's expectations. In the grand scope of things, any changes we make must be representative of a much larger slice of our overall market.

My participation is proof that we are certainly listening and we value your comments. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for us to react to every comment and employ every suggestion.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Issues people "compain" about are not necessarily faults. More often these are issues that don't live up to the customer's expectations. In the grand scope of things, any changes we make must be representative of a much larger slice of our overall market.

My participation is proof that we are certainly listening and we value your comments. Unfortunately, it would be impossible for us to react to every comment and employ every suggestion.
Bob, I understand your point of view, however, there are a few specific issues that are often raised and that can be considered faults.
For example, a number of people complained about the AF performance in low light conditions. Unless the FZ10 is going to be marketed as an "outdoor only" camera, I believe this merits consideration.

Now, regarding expectations.
You are in a unique position to help manage people's expectations by providing accurate technical information.

After all, what is better:
A person preordering the FZ10 expecting ti will sing, dance and do windows, getting bit by reality, returning the camera to the store and using every possibility to disparage it
or a person that knows what to expect, who tells others that "this is a very good camera, unless feature X is critical for you"?

Unfortunately, it seems to me (and I will apologize if I am wrong) that you prefer to avoid answering some of the questions regarding the (possibly) weaker points of Panasonic cameras.

For example, when the issue of low-light focusing was raised, you avoided it by explaining that every camera will focus faster in bright conditions.
While this is true, you neglected to mention that some cameras focus much faster than others, that some have AF assist lights or use hybrid focusing, etc. You did mention that the FZ10 has a fast and wide lense so it "should" perform well (but does it?)

Frankly, this is a kind of answer I'd expect from a marketing guy. From a technical person, I'd expect one of the following:
(a) The FZ10's AF performs similar to / somewhat better / much better that the FZ1's in low light conditions. or
(b) I cannot answer that question because... / until... / whatever.

Please, either give us useful answers or tell us what information you are allowed (or willing) to disclose so we will limit out questions to those areas.

Best regards,
Alex.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 3:24 PM   #7

Bob, I understand your point of view, however, there are a few specific issues that are often raised and that can be considered faults. For example, a number of people complained about the AF performance in low light conditions. Unless the FZ10 is going to be marketed as an "outdoor only" camera, I believe this merits consideration.

<Response>
Honestly, I've used the FZ1 extensively, and in low light. Given the fact that I understand how the system works there isn't much to complain about. In low light, the detail decreases so the very data used to AF decreases. I suspect that some complaints may be related to improperly using spot vs. normal focus modes. Read the reviews in the Washington Post - they were glowing calling attention to the low light performance.

After all, what is better:
A person preordering the FZ10 expecting ti will sing, dance and do windows, getting bit by reality, returning the camera to the store and using every possibility to disparage it
or a person that knows what to expect, who tells others that "this is a very good camera, unless feature X is critical for you"?

<Response>
My purpose here is not to convince anyone. I'd like to think I'm providing the raw data and each person will have a starting pouint. For example... how many times has amovie received terrible reviews, yet you liked it? How about situations where your favorite restaurant might have received a poor review?

Unfortunately, it seems to me (and I will apologize if I am wrong) that you prefer to avoid answering some of the questions regarding the (possibly) weaker points of Panasonic cameras.

<Response>
Not at all.. but as I explained I can't comment on many issues at this time because the sample I have is not a final production piece. Firmware is being changed constantly so what performs one way today may change tomorrow. My primary reason for being here is provide operational assistance. In my introductory statement Imade this very clear. I actually dislike comparing our product against others since it might be misunderstood.

For example, when the issue of low-light focusing was raised, you avoided it by explaining that every camera will focus faster in bright conditions.
While this is true, you neglected to mention that some cameras focus much faster than others, that some have AF assist lights or use hybrid focusing, etc. You did mention that the FZ10 has a fast and wide lense so it "should" perform well (but does it?)

<Response>
Should, meaning that tyere are variables that can have a huge impact on the performance. Any statement I make would have exceptions and I understand that such exception, while valid, will not change the final outcome the customer will experience. I find the FZ10 to perform as well as the FZ1 and in some cases better. So far, I have not encountered any situation where the FZ 1 was better.

Please, either give us useful answers or tell us what information you are allowed (or willing) to disclose so we will limit out questions to those areas.

<Response>
That was covered in my introductory post...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:40 PM   #8

Some questions you might be able to answer.

Will there be a raw mode?
Panorama assist?
Noise reduction for long exposures?
Do you know the EVF resolution (pixels)?

I suppose the physical layout is set in stone, but is there any chance they will add custom user mode(s) to the mode dial?

Iím probably going to buy one regardless of those features but some would be very nice Ė especially a raw mode. I guess that isnít possible with generic software rather than Panasonic software. And I use the custom modes regularly in my present cameras. I wouldnít bother though if it were accessed via menu.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
Some questions you might be able to answer.
Will there be a raw mode?
Panorama assist?
Noise reduction for long exposures?
Do you know the EVF resolution (pixels)?
I would be especially interested in knowing about the EVF resolution as well. The literature does describe the LCD resolution, but not the EVF. For that matter, what is the resolution of the FZ-1 EVF?

Noise reduction is also of interest. (does the FZ-10 have it?)

Thanks Bob for the information you can provide. I do realize that some things will have to wait for the release.

This camera is looking like the value of the year. I have taken some of the sample photos from the Japan site, printed them out to 11x14 and am amazed at the quality. Setting them side by side with 11x14 prints from my Nikon 5700, I am very impressed. What really interests me though, is the comments from many of the Olympus "UZi" owners regarding how fun the FZ-1 is to use. If the FZ-10 carries over that fun factor and delivers the quality that I believe it will, then I think it is the camera I have been looking for.

17+ years working professionally, photography is just a hobby for me now. If it isnt' fun, then what good is it? So many of today's cameras try to be everything to everybody. Call me old fashioned, but I just want a camera that does all the basics well. Quality optics, reliable automation, full manual overides and the important controls where you don't have to think about them. Technology (such as image stabilization) should be seamless and shouldn't take away from the photographic experience. I cut my teeth on view cameras, TLR's and SLR's with viewfinders that were harder to focus then todays EVF's. Of course that was when a focus assist sytem was a 150-300 watt flood light. My only concern with the EVF is if the resolution is adequate for these old eyes to manual focus.
brdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:33 AM   #10

Thank you for your response Bob,

Quote:
Honestly, I've used the FZ1 extensively, and in low light. Given the fact that I understand how the system works there isn't much to complain about. In low light, the detail decreases so the very data used to AF decreases. I suspect that some complaints may be related to improperly using spot vs. normal focus modes. Read the reviews in the Washington Post - they were glowing calling attention to the low light performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic also
Should, meaning that tyere are variables that can have a huge impact on the performance. Any statement I make would have exceptions and I understand that such exception, while valid, will not change the final outcome the customer will experience. I find the FZ10 to perform as well as the FZ1 and in some cases better. So far, I have not encountered any situation where the FZ1 was better.
Does the FZ10 use the same AF system as the FZ1? It the perceived improvement due to its larger lens or are there other parameters involved?

Quote:
My purpose here is not to convince anyone. I'd like to think I'm providing the raw data and each person will have a starting pouint. For example... how many times has amovie received terrible reviews, yet you liked it? How about situations where your favorite restaurant might have received a poor review?
Many times. However, when I read a review, I specifically look for information that is important to me and pay low attention to the rest. I also listen to what other people have to say about their experiences.

Quote:
... but as I explained I can't comment on many issues at this time because the sample I have is not a final production piece. Firmware is being changed constantly so what performs one way today may change tomorrow. My primary reason for being here is provide operational assistance. In my introductory statement Imade this very clear. I actually dislike comparing our product against others since it might be misunderstood.
Well you did compare it to the Olympus C-750 in a previous post...
Seriously, I only ask you to compare it to the FZ1/FZ2, not the competition.