Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:15 AM   #11

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
chip 1/2.5" diagonal = 0.40" = 10.16mm

chip 1/2.33" diagonal = 0.43" = 10.90mm

FZ28-pixels are ~ 8% smaller then FZ18-pixels

First, a question: Where do you get the information in those first two lines? In other words, is there a chart or such somewhere that anyone can look at and know that 1/2.5" sensors have a point four inch diagonal?

And a comment. The pixels are not necessarily smaller. They could be the same size or larger and just be more densely packed.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:53 AM   #12

happy, nobody in this world makes a gift to you with big sensors and not-used pixels. do you believe to santa claus? :blah:

@Boz

if you use 4 mp and not 9mp - it's the same sensor, no other effects for pictures.

they often use MORE pixels for calculating the result of ONE pixel- and so you can only get a 3 mp photo (e.g. for 3200, 5400 ISO etc) out of a 10 mp cam.

Pana's or Olympus's "extra zoom" is also a simple trick, it's an "inside crop" - you can cut a 10 mp picture to 3 mp outside on pc---> same effect! oh wonder, now you get a 7x zoom from your 3x zoom picture.

cheap cameras interpolate (bad and) inside their 5 mp to 8mp, some else to 16 mp! pictures are bad and need more memory. you also can do this with a $-0-photo-program within seconds

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:48 AM   #13

There's also an easy way to work it out by hand (no calculator), just to compare sizes.

1/2.5" = 2/2 x 1/2.5" = 2/5" = 7/7 x 2/5" = 14/35"

1/2.33" = 3/3 x 1/2.33" = 3/7" = 5/5 x 3/7" = 15/35"

Not much difference in size!!!!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:52 AM   #14

DonalDuc wrote:
Quote:
if you use 4 mp and not 9mp - it's the same sensor, no other effects for pictures.

they often use MORE pixels for calculating the result of ONE pixel- and so you can only get a 3 mp photo (e.g. for 3200, 5400 ISO etc) out of a 10 mp cam.
And this means that the noise performance is better.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:27 PM   #15

Howdy fellas! Long time! I have been busy on business ventures, but happy to be back. I have to be honest, I was sorta following the thread. Pythagorean theory really takes ya back, huh!

But I have a question. I looked at the FZ28, looks great, but I see Fuji is making a camera and they are boasting up to 6400 ISO. My question is, has anyone looked into the Fujis, and are the stats better? I have an FZ50 right now, along with my Canon EOS 40D (and a 20D-still love that cam!). So, for me, I rarely use the panasonic, cause I don't like flash, and with the Canons I can shoot at 3200 (ISO) and it's a little noisy but looks ok,and in some instances adds to the mood of the photo. The one thing I don't like is that the FZ28 and all of the similar cameras out there don't have a swivel LCD, why? I loved that about the FZ50/30. Is there a cam with similar specs to the FZ28 with a swivel screen?
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote