Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:22 PM   #1

As shown on the pictures below, I have developed a smudge on my FZ18. Look to theleft of the rock. It's not on the outside of the lens. Anyone have this problem? Is this a send in to service center problem? Thanks
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:23 PM   #2

Crop
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:56 PM   #3

If it's on the same spot every image, looks like something's made it's way onto the sensor, which would, indeed, require a trip to the service center.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:23 AM   #4

Same spot in same place. Is Panasonic good at service?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:29 PM   #5

You have more than one spot.......I felt there would be lots of problems with the FZ18 and dust considering there is no adapter to seal the lens 100% of the time......but it has not been reported much.......I can not see the exif in your photos but is that shot at F8.......if so do the spots disappear at a wider aperture?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:12 PM   #6

Yes! Great call. They do disappear at wider aperature. I was trying to replicate the spots in my house and couldn't. I wondered what this meant when they didn't appear. After testing, I have found the spot begins at about f4, getting worse up to f8. What does this mean, I wonder?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:43 PM   #7

pboerger wrote:
Quote:
Yes! Great call. They do disappear at wider aperature. I was trying to replicate the spots in my house and couldn't. I wondered what this meant when they didn't appear. After testing, I have found the spot begins at about f4, getting worse up to f8. What does this mean, I wonder?
Good question, Gene! I didn't think aboutthat until I saw your response.

What that means is, at wider apertures, like f2.8, the aperture bladesdo not close down, so something on the sensor won't be "focussed enough" to see it on an image. By the time you get to f8, the aperture blades are creating a very smallcircle for the light to get through the lens, which accentuates, or sharpens the object to the point you can see it. At f4, theaperture is just starting to close down andsharpen up everything so it just starts to become visible.

It's definitely something that's going to require a trip to be cleaned, and everything I've seen about Panasonic service is very good.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. Is the FZ18 flawed without enough seals? I had an FZ8 for several years without a problem. I do a lot of backpacking, climbing. Am I going to have to have this cleaned often. What can I do to prevent this?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:16 PM   #9

I never even considered this, but I've not owned an FZ18 either. My girlfriend has an FZ8 and, like you said, she's never had this issue.

I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue, figuring sensors in digicams that don't allow interchangeable lenseswere sealed, but I guess that isn't alwaysright.

Do you keep the hood fitted on your camera? The FZ8 required the adaptor Gene's talking about in order to mount the hood, but I think the FZ18's hood attaches directly....is that right? If so, I would keep it on....maybe it'll help....or maybe I don't know what the heck I'm talking about...:roll:
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:44 PM   #10

I don't know the details of the construction of the lens, but when the lens travels in and out, I suppose it might be possible that it could carry some dust in with it. As suggested, I would keep the lens hood on all the time, but more importantly, I would keep the lens cap on (the lens must be withdrawn) when climbing around in dusty or sandy environments, to eliminate the possibility of dust settling on an extended lens while the camera is idle.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote