Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

I bought a FZ30 about two years ago. Unfortunately, it started having problems around Christmas of this year. At first it would only power on and stay on intermittently. It seemed to be related to the seating of the battery at the time. However, after taking some Christmas photos this year, it has stopped powering on all together.

I have two different batteries, and it works with neither of them. I actually tried opening the camera up to see if the wires going to the battery terminals were loose or disconnected, and found nothing. The cost of a service via Panasonic is prohibitive, I could more or less replace the thing for the same cost. Anybody have any idea what could cause a failure like this? It's been sitting in my closet for months collecting dust and I'd hate to just toss it.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:07 PM   #2

I never opened a camera but I am told the FZ30 has 2 fuses inside.......

now I doubt the original Panasonic battery would go belly up in 2 years but thats very possible for a 3rd party battery.....

Especially if you were to leave them discharged for several months.....

I would try a local camera repair shop.......it may be something very simple.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:11 PM   #3

It sounds like you might have blowna fuse on the circuit board.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:41 PM   #4

Hrm, I've found a few references to people blowing fuses on this model now. I'm hesitant to open the thing back up again and go fishing around for fuses, which from the sounds of it are soldered onto the board anyway. Still, I'm not sure I have much to lose. There are no camera repair shops around here I can find and Pany wants $160 flat rate to repair it.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote