Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:42 PM   #1

I managed to lose my Nikon 3T and 4T lenses, which is rather sad as they were expensive and hard to find now. I picked up a Raynox DCR-150 and have been playing with it for a few days.

A very proud looking Robber Fly.

A very small Hoverfly who picked a great place to pose.

A night moth shot. Under a fairly dim light that was still bright enough to attract all kinds of moths. Flash used of course. I use it for almost all shots with a macro lens.

This is a Grapefolder Moth. A pest. Taken at a Bed And Breakfast Inn which was over a winery, so that is why he was there I guess. This moth is sitting on a lit light and I did not think the shot would turn out this good.

An Eastern Tailed Blue.

Backyard Ladybug laying eggs. I used off-center focusing and had the eggs as the focus point so the beetle is a less then 100% sharp, but it works for me.

happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:02 PM   #2

That Robber Fly is stunning, so close and detailed! how were you lighting it, as it seems pretty well lit and nice and bright, very gold looking.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:12 PM   #3

romerojpg wrote:
Quote:
That Robber Fly is stunning, so close and detailed! how were you lighting it, as it seems pretty well lit and nice and bright, very gold looking.
I used Manual, 1/800th second, and the flash. And it was close to noon and sunny, so I don't know how much the flash did. That fly landed next to me while I was laying on the ground to shoot a butterfly and looked that good live. The finest Robber Fly I have ever seen.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:16 PM   #4

Ahhh 1/800th is very fast, never tried them at them speeds before, ussually as the flash does not go past 200th on mine (and its always dim and raining in the UK haha). Guess I never think to try more natural light and very fast speeds like that, still it worked on yours, and I imagine you can capture frozen wing flaps etc.. at them speeds
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 7:20 AM   #5

Pretty good pictures, Steve. Had you cropped and posted the eggs separately and called it a bunch of grapes, I would have believed it. And the fabric/texture in the blue butterfly (I know how small it is) wings is amazing. Keep more pics coming! The robber fly, of course, is stunning - in composition, clarity and details.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:38 AM   #6

Love the hoverfly....would crop some off the top off though and make it more like a widescreen pic? But I never know how you guys get so close to insects....We don't seem to have anything but houseflies in London though...

The ladybug works very well...the leaf background is very beautiful!
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:57 AM   #7

jussiuk wrote:
Quote:
Love the hoverfly....would crop some off the top off though and make it more like a widescreen pic? But I never know how you guys get so close to insects....We don't seem to have anything but houseflies in London though...

The ladybug works very well...the leaf background is very beautiful!
About that widescreen thought: I would never even think of making or taking a widescreen picture out of anything. Just not my thing. As to how to get them to hold still, either shoot on cold days or be lucky. This hoverfly was luck. And, I bet you could find some neat insects in London. Look for flowers, a few plants that found a place to grow by a fence or in the corner of the park where the mower won't reach, etc. That hoverfly and ladybug were taken in my small backyard in Chicago.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:45 AM   #8

WOW...those are SOME great looking insect pictures, I love the ladybug and her eggs! You do a magnificent job...sorry about your lenses getting lost, that stinks!

Linda Gilliam
redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote