Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:25 PM   #1

Hello Pany users

I know i shoudnt post canon stuff in here but the Pany Forum always got me very good responses, so pls respond before they move this request.

Recently bought a Rebel XSi with the 18-55mm IS lens kit. Plan to sell my 18-55mm IS lens. But before i do so i need some advice on other lenses.
Looking @ Canon 85mm f1.8/2
canon 55-200 mm IS lens
tamron 18-250mm f4-5.6
canon 100mm f2.8
no doubt i will need at least 2, but for now i need 1.
which would be a good walk about lens.
I am presently using my sigma28-200mm f3.5-5.6 from my canon 7e, but i want to keep this on my 7e rather than switchhing back and forth with only 1 lens.
I will be using my XSi for picnics, birthdays, occasional sports, indoor paries.
I am aware that one lens will not cover the whole spectrum but we all need at least one on the camera at all times to cover stuff that may happen before we can do a lens change. I also like macro flowers and some scenic shots when i go for walks and camping. I am leaning towards the 85 or 100mm or 18-250. Does tamron make a stabilised 18-200/250, coz you never know when hand shake appears. Cant afford L series!!! My 18-55 is not that bad but the focus ring is on the outside of the lens so i cannot manual focus with a polariser so there goes some scenic sky shots. Why would canon do a silly thing like that?
Thanks in advance for your advice which i will greatly appreciate.
Pete

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:04 AM   #2

Well, I have no answers as I know nothing about cameras with interchangable lenses, but thought I would just say hi and wish you luck with it anyway.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:12 PM   #3

holy cow
been a long time since i have been in here
still love your pix
good to hear from you
u know what im gonna pop in here from time to time and look for your pix and say a "friendly hello"
the pany people are still the friendliest and helpful of the lot
peace
happy klikkin
pete
the canon lenses are very expensive so i thinking of buying an MF to AF adaptor and trying some MF lenses, way way cheaper and those older ;lenses were b uilt to last
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:48 PM   #4

I know very little about Canon lenses but MF is not easy on entry level DSLRs ....it has to do with less than perfect focusing screens.

To get one very inexpensive low light prime get the 50mm F1.8, under 100 dollars.

And I do not know the price but canon just announced a 18 to 200 IS lens .......which Nikons version of that lens, seldom leaves my D50. As a matter of fact its the reason I own Nikons,No one else had an equivalent lens a couple years ago.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:40 PM   #5

thanks genece
mf/af eos conversion....you have given me a point to ponder upon
no doubt i am still researching the topic and dont intend to invest till i have read different articles on the subject
i believe tamron has just launched a 17 or 18 - 270 vibration controlled version for the canon efs mount, no doubt the price may be steep
i must say i have become a big fan of 'image stabilization' and prefer to buy into it
with stabilization activated i get 2-3 stops
pete
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:45 PM   #6

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
thanks genece
mf/af eos conversion....you have given me a point to ponder upon
no doubt i am still researching the topic and dont intend to invest till i have read different articles on the subject
i believe tamron has just launched a 17 or 18 - 270 vibration controlled version for the canon efs mount, no doubt the price may be steep
i must say i have become a big fan of 'image stabilization' and prefer to buy into it
with stabilization activated i get 2-3 stops
pete
I am a huge fan of Image Stabilization also. I think that should I ever get a DSLR it will have Image Stabilization built into the camera though.
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:13 AM   #7

I also can not manage without stabilization in all but the very fast and short lenses, you will have no problem using a 50mm F1.8 with no stabilization and used reversed on a camera make a good macro lens.

The 18 to 200 lenses I mentioned are stabilized and good for 4 stops at least.....where the Sigma and Tamron models only claim 2 stops.

I also own a Sigma 80 to 400OS lens that helps me a lot, and aI am seriously considering their new 150 to 500mm OS lens....as you say 2 stops help but 4 stops is better.

And while I can only buy what I can afford , make no mistake the Canon and/or Nikon lenses are better than most 3rd party lenses I have tried.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:24 AM   #8

Hi, I have an EOS 40D and its kit 17-85 IS (makes me laugh it should cost nearly as much as I payed my FZ20), and the beautiful primes 50mm F1,4 and 100mm F2,8 macro.

50mm F2,8 is absolutely great for portraits (= 80mm), and, contrarily to the general opinion, mine is useable at F1,4 too, although it's sharpness and same detail all over the frame start to be good at F2, very good at 2,8 , excellent at F4 - F8.

The 100mm F2,8 is a great lens for macro.
For more extreme stuff you can couple it with a Raynox DCR250 or with a Nikon 5T + 6T combo...

Sure , notwithstanding ISO 800 on 40D has same noise/detail ad ISO 80 on FZ20, the latter has smaller CCD, thus more dof, and the 432 OI lens !
To use the 100mm for extreme macros, you'll need the flash, handheld, or a tripod.

Moreover, the smallr focal lenght vs the CANON 180mm or (same qty but cheaper) Sigma 180mm F 3,5 APO macro, means that you 'll get less chances to completely blur the background of your subject, especially if you are at low magnific values, I mean shooting at whole BF or Dragonflies...

Last Sunday macros (40d + 100mm macro)
http://www.francescoraffaele.com/web...ellinferno.htm
VS few years ago FZ20, + Nikons or Raynox:
BF:
http://www.francescoraffaele.com/web...poMtMonaco.htm
DF:
http://www.macrophotography.org/modu...hp&page=13
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:17 PM   #9

thank you sir for your advise
loved the pix, you sure did master the fz20 whose 12x zoom i sadly miss
but gotta move forward and learn some new techniques
will save up for some canon lenses
im also thinking of a smaller p&s camera with 6x or 10x like the tz1 or lx5??....something to put in my pocker when its not convenient to pull out a DSLR
thanks again
pete