Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
There's always the Photoshop way! :lol:
Very nice!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:33 PM   #12
NHL

Actually everyone here is right!
1. The wider the aperture the less DOF, ie allow less light in so the camera is forced to open up the aperture until the shutter is so slow that one can't hand hold the camera anymore.
2. DOF is less when the subject is up close, and more as the subject is further away.
3. There's less DOF at the tele than @ the wide angle
So you'll need all three: wide open, get up close, and max out with the tele... The only problem is with most digicams with smaller CCD, the focal lenght is also shorter because of the smaller accompanying lens, hence the DOF tends to be too much unlike film camera or full-frame SLR that can have a very shallow depht of field!

-> Photo Editing comes to the rescue:
1. Create a duplicate layer
2. Apply Gaussian blur (you create how blurry it is) to this layer
3. Erase the blurry area from the area you want the subjet to remain sharp, ie the sharp background layer will pass right through... the blurry layer!
4. Do a light feather between the sharp/blurry areas so there's no sharp cut-off between the two...
Actually there are several Actions that one can download to do this DOF as well from the Adobe web site.

Isn't Digital Photography neat? :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:52 PM   #13

using software isn't cool...at least for me!
you can't look to a picture and think.. woow great.. i did this only with my camera. personnally i prefer to don't have such an awsome picture than have something that i know i did only with my camera.
here is on example:

i'm sure that if i had take a very sharp picture of this train and the car and then edited in photoshop to the background be with the effect of moving would get a great picture, but this one even not been great i'm sure for me it deserve much more respect than a photoshoped picture..
but this is just me that do this for fun and not for live..
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:27 PM   #14
NHL

I agree...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:38 PM   #15

I get the unfocused background almost everytime if i want it.

Its got everything to do with the distance from you to the main object, and the distance from the object to the background.

From the pictures i see, you probably are standing too near to the object. My advise is use the FZ1 12x zoom!! to adjust the distance for framing. Here are my suggestions:-

1) no need to set to potrait mode or macro for this kind of unfocused back ground. Normal can produce it as well.

2) if after focusing, everything looks clear :lol: (which is not wat we want), try walk back 5 to 10 steps, zoom it in to the exact framing just like u were standing near. Re focus it on the object. you should be able to get the unfocused effect in the background.

3) Stand further and zooming in will usually solve the problem for me.

I personally am not a fan of blurring the background using Photoshop. i just don't see the point!

Hope this helps! Cheers!
varpybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by varpybrain
2) if after focusing, everything looks clear :lol: (which is not wat we want), try walk back 5 to 10 steps, zoom it in to the exact framing just like u were standing near. Re focus it on the object. you should be able to get the unfocused effect in the background.

3) Stand further and zooming in will usually solve the problem for me.
Thanks for the tip, but in the case of the spider picture, standing back wouldn't have worked because there was a street sign that would have been in the picture.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:30 AM   #17
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by varpybrain
I personally am not a fan of blurring the background using Photoshop. i just don't see the point!
When I saw this thread, I just had to register as a user =)

I agree with varpybrain that there is no point of blurring background - if it isnīt done right =)

To achieve good looking fake-DOF, you have to use several blurred layers and mask them properly.

This works quite well in some situations but itīs far for perfect. For images with strong contrast, this fake looks totally fake - at least with 8-bit colour channels.

Hereīs a quick fake-DOF that I did. Itīs done in hurry ( masks are quite bad as you can see =) but itīs better than that other fake IMHO.

[/img]
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBL
Hereīs a quick fake-DOF that I did. Itīs done in hurry ( masks are quite bad as you can see =) but itīs better than that other fake IMHO.
Very nice! The other fake it is easy to tell that it has been edited.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:30 PM   #19

wow
now we have a contest to see who can make the best fake.. :P
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 5:35 PM   #20

Default the best fake...!

www.petino.it/miky/TheBetterOneFake!.jpg

I know I'm O.T. but I can't resist!!! 8O))))))
Monitep is offline   Reply With Quote