Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:05 PM   #21

llllllllloooooooollllllllllllll
you won the contest
congratulations dude
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:25 PM   #22
djb

another way to force a wider aperature, other than lower iso, is to use high shutter speeds.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:32 PM   #23

and how you control that with a dmc-fz1?
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:33 PM   #24
djb

don't know. don't own one. it was just a generalized suggestion.
dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:40 PM   #25

In case anyone missed it, recent discussion on image manipulation :
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=14922
Recommend following Mike_Peat's second link; bit of a corker.

Prmsekpr I think you're right that a bit of differential focus would have helped your deer picture; the sharpness of the background actually makes the deer appear blurred. Of course this would be much better done in camera (never realised Gaussian blur could do such nasties) :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1.jpg.orig.jpg
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:01 PM   #26

I've seen gibsonpd3620 recommends this site a few times here on stevesforums :

http://www.shortcourses.com/using/sh...h%20of%20Field
Old Oct 10, 2003, 4:32 AM   #27
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson

Prmsekpr I think you're right that a bit of differential focus would have helped your deer picture; the sharpness of the background actually makes the deer appear blurred. Of course this would be much better done in camera (never realised Gaussian blur could do such nasties) :

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1.jpg.orig.jpg
This getting more and more OT but I have to ask : Do You want to learn how to fake-DOF "properly" :?: This deer picture bothered me last night and I realized whats wrong in my manipulation. I could write some kind of tutorial in some other area of this forum if people are interested?
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 5:08 AM   #28

Hi MBL.

My initial intention was just to satisfy my curiosity to see
how PrmseKpr's piccy would look with the effect of the differential focussing spoken of. So I produced two versions the same size, one with the relatationships as is and the other with the deer focussed and background blurred. Switching rapidly from one unscaled version to the other on ACDSee slide show convinced me the picture would indeed have benefited from differential focussing. Should really have provided link to other pic but wasn't sure how link would work; as I write can't get onto Sony ImageStation at all! Pity, ImageStation is a freebie site that allows posting of big pictures without degrading them...

It has to be your call on whether you decide to provide a public tutorial on faking DOF in Photoshop here. It's possible it could eventually lead to you being called upon to make justifications much more involved than that I have just given above for my own posting

BTW the nasty effect in the BG of my processed version of the deer could be down to the crude attempt at getting a "graduated" blur by using a feathered mask. Sorry Gauss.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 5:49 AM   #29
MBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson

It has to be your call on whether you decide to provide a public tutorial on faking DOF in Photoshop here.
I asked because I want to know if such tutorial is needed. I have 3D graphics background and therefore Im used to edit my images a lot, but I see that photographers are much sensitive about this subject, so maybe I wont use my time to write the tutorial
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:47 AM   #30

MBL my apologies for not publicly embracing your offer of a tutorial, but I don't believe I am yet ready or sufficiently worthy to risk being burnt here as a heretic Maybe you could do something in the "Editors (Photoshop etc)" forum here (which I think is perhaps what you were considering) or maybe :
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1006
and advise us of the link here. Then if anyone from here follows the link and starts to heckle you there about image post processing, they are a) likely to be outnumbered by extremely intelligent and highly articulate adversaries, maybe, and b) VERY NAUGHTY.

BTW, MBL, a very warm welcome to Stevesforums :twisted: :twisted: