Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:07 AM   #31

Default Re: the best fake...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monitep
www.petino.it/miky/TheBetterOneFake!.jpg

I know I'm O.T. but I can't resist!!! 8O))))))
I like that one the best!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:11 AM   #32

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

BTW, NormJackson, you have to copy the imagestation link into the browser's address line. Clicking on the link won't work. I guess ImageStation is afraid I'm trying to steal graphics.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Thank you everyone for the feedback!

BTW, NormJackson, you have to copy the imagestation link into the browser's address line. Clicking on the link won't work. I guess ImageStation is afraid I'm trying to steal graphics.
Sorry about that. I'll have to ask Bryan at dpreview how he managed to embed image from ImageStation there (or perhaps it's time to abandon them completely).

I suppose after the advice you've received, PrmseKpr, we can all now start looking forward to some picture postings from you on this thread with beautifully judged differential focus. Don't you just love a bit of pressure :?:
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by normjackson
I suppose after the advice you've received, PrmseKpr, we can all now start looking forward to some picture postings from you on this thread with beautifully judged differential focus. Don't you just love a bit of pressure :?:
Gee, thanx!

I took some photos last nigth of the Iwo Jima Memorial, but I doubt any of them will be DOF pictures. I'll post some when I have time.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:47 AM   #35
MBL

Quote:
MBL my apologies for not publicly embracing your offer of a tutorial, but I don't believe I am yet ready or sufficiently worthy to risk being burnt here as a heretic
Now that I re-read my post I noticed that I kind of gave the impression that the post was dedicated to you only but I ment it for everyone here... Im just thinking in finnish and translating it to english. Information is always lost in translation

Quote:
BTW, MBL, a very warm welcome to Stevesforums :twisted: :twisted:
Thanks! This is feeling like home already.
But I warn you - I will continue doing witchcraft :twisted:
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:39 PM   #36

Okay, so what did I do wrong here?

This was shot at ISO 50, and portrait mode. Maybe I should have slapped on an ND filter.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:11 PM   #37

Quote:
You cut the feets of the big frog... :lol:
v1p0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:22 PM   #38

I have also found that the blur of the background is highly dependent on how close I am to the subject, how much zoom I'm using, and how far away the background is from the subject (and the camera). I'm not anywhere near to being a pro photography, and didn't really get into photography very much during the "old" film days, so I can't really tell you what the best distance ratios need to be. However, when I take pictures in portrait mode where a small object is about 2 feet away from my lens with the lens zoomed to the point of the small object filling the entire frame, the background (which is about 10 feet behind the subject) is VERY blurry. Oh, and my ISO is forced to 50.

FYI, the picture below is at ISO 400 (hence the grain) and the zoom is at 10mm, so it's not zoomed very much, but the background still looks pretty blurry:

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 1:40 AM   #39

Default Depth of focus

Interestingly, I don't believe anyone specifically mentioned the problem of too much depth of focus is a direct result of the very short focal length of the exposing lens. The FZ10 has a range of actual focal lengths from 6 to 72 mm. That's what counts, Even at 12x - 72 mm -there will be considerable depth of focus. On the DSLR forums, people switching from digicams are astounded to find that with a real 200 - 300 mm lens they may have a depth of focus of just a few inches!

Just the reverse problem!~

All the "solutions" given here are correct, but I thought it might be helpful to point out this is quite normal for this camera. And at the shorter focal lengths - say at 6 mm ! - there really isn't an effective non-software solution. On the other hand you won't be complaining that your autofocus doesn't work right, either....
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 7:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p0n3
Quote:
You cut the feets of the big frog... :lol:
LOL! :lol: Yes, I did!

In this case, I could not stand any closer to my subject, there was a retaining wall (which I was standing on) and a garden in between me and the subject. I zoomed in as much as I could and as was pointed out, I cut off the feet of the poor little froggy.

Oh, well, practice makes perfect.