Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:12 PM   #1

I just ordered a TZ5. The specs I have found online say it takes SDHC cards. While looking for cards I found that there are three sizes (yes my PC reader accepts all three). Does the TZ5 handle the smaller versions or only the full size?
alternety is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:00 PM   #2

I do not own a TZ5 but the specs say SD or SDHC or Multimedia.......that leads me to believe only the full size cards and if they are larger than 2 gbs they must be SDHC..... Now will your reader read those?

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3

alternety,

Yes, you can use SD, MiniSD, and MicroSD cards in your camera. The latter two require an adapter that normally comes with those cards.

I'm not sure what speeds are available in the small versions but that could be a problem if you plan to use burst mode or video. I just set my FZ50 to continuous burst mode and took 19 images in 10 seconds using a 133X SD card. When I used my microSD card, it took only 17 images and slowed down significantly after about 5.

Note: I was using SD -- not SDHC -- but I would expect they will work just as well.

--
Dick
http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:00 PM   #4

Thanks. That is what I thought. A picture in the TZ5 manual had a picture that resolved my concern.

The small form factors do seem to be slower. Or at least they don't talk about it much. I looked at a lot of stores and manufacturer sites. Most of the manufacturers sites don't tell you anything about real speeds. Nor do they seem to talk about suffix meaning on their parts.

Pricing is crazy. I got some Sandisk 4 GB Extreme III cards. I saw prices from $15 after rebate to over $100 for the same card. Peaking between $40 and $70. One thing this reinforced was not to go to most camera stores to buy something like this. And there are a lot of camera stores that simply do not understand what a web site needs to do to drive sales. Uncle Bob seems to get a lot of off-hours work "developing" web sites.

Now I need to find a relaible yet delightfully inexpensive spare battery. I have seen batteries for $0.79.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:48 PM   #5

I picked up an HP 8gb SDHC card Class4 for $25cdn, quite a steal (though not as fast as a Class6) from Future Shop (Canada ). So do not be mislead, deals are evrywhere to be found. I had a 2GB SDcard which i used on my Pany FZ20 which is horribly slow on my Rebel XSi even in smaller JPeg mode, in fact it actually stops, says BUSY, for 2-5 secs. Will now use that in some other device that is not require speedy writing times.
If you are shooting oodles of video then go for the SDHC card. However my external card reader does not read my SDHC card so now i have to use my USB cable, which they say is better for the camera, because if the cable joint becomes faulty you will then still have your memory slot available for image transfer.
Beware of battery scams especially on ebay.
There are battery stores that will sell you a cheaper substitute but 98 cents sounds like you will get the quality equivalent, and if it leaks in your chamber there goes your warranty. Will see if i can find the link. If not someone in here will help you, these Pany Guys know their stuff.
Good Luck
Pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:14 PM   #6

I am not especially worried about a leaking battery - these things can catch fire. That I am worried about. Search the web for pictures of laptops blazing away in a conference room or auditorium. Lithium is a very active element.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:49 PM   #7

Not particularly likely with a camera — laptops have large batteries to cope with a much greater load and many of them get far too hot (using some models as laptops for more than a few minutes can burn you!)

There are even after-market cooling devices to place them on and keep your legs from being fried.

The cheap camera batteries mostly work — just not for as long.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote