Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:13 AM   #11

As the D2H was (allegedly) designed to be the fastest DSLR on the market, I am pretty sure that the FZ10 would not be able to compete with it in this area.

<RESPONSE>
We aren't discussing the D2H, and I have not seen it mentoned anywhere that the FZ10 was positioned to compete against this camera. In your mind it might, and you might have your own specific ideas how it will compete - but that's not how it was released.

I've found that each individual has their own criteria by which they form an opinion and make a decision on what camera to buy. Actually, the historical feedback our Call Center received on the FZ1's AF speed has been very good. When you consider that most people call the manufacturer for assistance, the fact that I can report positive feedback speaks very well for the camera.

Any camera design will bring out those people who dislike some aspect of it. We appreciate such feedback and hope that those issues can be addressed in future models. However, recognize and accept that one person or ten persons dislikes does not doom a camera.

Though, seriously, I would like my camera to be as responsive as possible (because I do want to capture what I aim for and not what happens a second later).

<RESPONSE>
I agree and that strengthens my point that each person has their own priorities.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:06 PM   #12

How will the external flash for the DMC FZ 10 provide a correct exposure at various distances in collaboration with the camera?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:33 PM   #13

I've tried three or four times to obtain the pdf file that's been mentioned, but have been told by Panasonic that there's no such thing. If anybody has received it would you mind sending me a copy? Thanx.
ckonarske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 8:00 PM   #14

Default The info

Just got the file from Panasonic (thanks Bob!)
It's a 2-page PDF marketing brochure. The pictures are "simulated" but the text will be reproduced here for your enjoyment.

Several issues are confusing (could be typos):
* The macro mode focsing distance at full telephoto is 2m & up (same as normal mode).
* The audio dubbing time is mentioned as 5 sec in one place and 10 sec in another.

OK, here's the beef:

DMC-FZ10 Lumix Digital Camera
* 12x Optical Zoom
* 4.0 Effective Megapixel Still Picture Recording
* MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.)
* Manual and advanced functions for more expressive photography
**- Manual focus, aperture, shutter and exposure functions
**- Advanced histogram
* LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens
* MegaBurst Consecutive Shooting (4 frames/sec.)
**- Max. 7 images in Standard Mode
**- Max. 5 images in Fine Mode
* Motion Image Recording
* Still Image Recording with Audio (5-sec.)
* 2" diag. LCD Monitor
* Auto Focus System
* Records on included SD Memory Card

12x Optical Zoom
A picture tells a thousand words, but an incredibly detailed close-up photograph tells an even more profound story. With 12x Optical Zoom, you can capture the subtle look of accomplishment on your child's face during his performance in the school play, even from the back row of the auditorium. And the FZ10 also features 3x Digital Zoom* for both single shots and MegaBurst Consecutive Shooting. That's why you're never too far away from a great shot.
* As digital magnification increases, resolution significantly decreases.

MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.)
MEGA O.I.S. uses a motion sensor to detect even a tiny amount of jitter when you shoot. The camera motion is linked to the lens, whose operation is adjusted to compensate for the jitter. The result is clear, sharp, beautiful pictures. MEGA O.I.S. also helps assure superb results when you take high-magnification telephoto shots, indoor shots at slow shutter speeds, Macro Mode close-ups, or flowing motion images in Panning Mode.

Manual and Advanced Functions
Manual focus, aperture, shutter and exposure functions provide more creative control, allowing for expressive photos. And the advanced histogram functions like a digital light meter, providing a graphic representation of pixel luminance for more precise exposure control.

LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT Lens
The incomparable LEICA DC VARIOELMARIT lens puts you in control of a wide variety of photo techniques. It features one ED and three aspherical lenses, and offers an amazing focal distance of 6 mm . 72 mm (equivalent to a 35 mm . 420 mm lens on a 35 mm camera) and F2.8 brightness across the entire 12x zoom range. With the DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens, you have a powerful tool for capturing beautiful, expressive images.

Lumix digital cameras record on SD Memory Cards or MultiMediaCards.

Additional Features and Specifications
Focusing Area: Normal: Wide 30cm/ Tele 200cm - infinity, Macro: wide 5cm/Tele 200cm - infinity
Image Sensor: 1/2.5", 4.23 Total Megapixel CCD with Primary Color Filters
Focus: Auto Focus System, Manual Focus, Normal/Macro (Dial), Spot AF On/Off (Spot Mode), Continuous AF On/Off
ISO Sensitivity: Auto/50/100/200/400
White Balance: Auto/Daylight/Cloudy/Halogen/White Set, White Balance Adjustment ( 300K step, -1500 - +1500 K, except for Auto Mode)
Exposure: Auto(Program AE), Manual Aperture, Scene Mode, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE
Exposure Compensation: 1/3 EV step, -2 - +2 EV
Auto (AE) Bracketing: +/- 1/3 EV -1EV step, 3 frames
Light Metering: Multiple/Spot (Spot Mode)
Scene Mode: P(Program)mode, A/S/M mode(Aperture Priority / Shutter Priority/Manual), Macro, Portrait, Sports, Panning, Night Portrait, Moving-image
Shutter Speed: 8-1/2000 sec (Shutter Priority Mode, Manual Mode), 1-1/2000 sec, except for Shutter Priority Mode and Manual Mode
Aperture: F2.8 - F8
Self Timer: 10 sec / 2 sec
Picture Adjustment: Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, each with Low, Standard and High Mode
Color Effect Mode: Cool, Warm, Black & White
Recording Image Size: 2304 x 1728 pixels, 1600 x 1200 pixels, 1280 x 960 pixels, 640 x 480 pixels, 1920 x 1080 pixels, 320 x 240 pixels (Motion Image)
Image Quality: Fine / Standard
Motion Image: 320 x 240 pixels 30 fps, 10 fps. Max. recording time depends on Memory Card Capacity
Audio Dubbing: Max. 10 sec
Built-in-Flash: Yes
Viewfinder: 0.33" Color EVF (Adjustable Diopter)
Speaker/Microphone: Yes
Interface: DC Input, A/V Output, USB
Power: Li-ion Battery Pack (7.2V)
AC Adaptor: (Input: 110-240V AC)
Included Software: SD Viewer for DSC, ArcSoft PhotoBase, ArcSoft PhotoImpression, ArcSoft Panorama Maker, Driver USB
Standard Accessories: Battery Charger/AC Adaptor, Battery Pack, SD Memory Card (16 MB), Lens Cap, Lens Hood, A/V Cable, USB Cable, Strap, CD-ROM
Dimensions (W x H x D): 5.45" x 3.43" x 4.16"
Weight (lbs.): 1.21 (with battery and SD Memory Card)

The LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lenses are manufactured using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality standards.

Design and specifications subject to change without notice.
All pictures simulated.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckonarske
I've tried three or four times to obtain the pdf file that's been mentioned, but have been told by Panasonic that there's no such thing. If anybody has received it would you mind sending me a copy? Thanx.
It's posted here. You may have to join the list to see the file.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanaLu...SpecSheet1.pdf
moretoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:37 PM   #16

Here are some links to Panasonic's DMC-FZ10 website in Japan. They're in Japanese, but you'll have no trouble using them:

Photo Gallery. The photos seem to be real, not simulated, and you can download them and then examine them in Photoshop. (They look VERY good, and the file sizes, averaging 1.5MB, suggest that Panasonic is using high-quality compression):

http://panasonic.jp/dc/gallery/fz10.html

That link came from this page: http://panasonic.jp/dc/line_up/index.html

That page has several links to the right of the DMC-FZ10. The third one down shows a pop-up 360-degree animation of DMC-FZ10. Unlike the animation for the DMC-FZ1, this one doesn't have zoom or pan, but it's pretty good.

This is the link to illustrations of the optional lenses and adapters: http://panasonic.jp/dc/fz10/option.html

BTW, if you have trouble with any of those links, but can get to at least one page, they all link to each other.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:51 PM   #17

It's posted here. You may have to join the list to see the file.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanaLu...SpecSheet1.pdf[/quote]

Thanx, moretoys, I found it just a few minutes ago.
ckonarske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:10 PM   #18

Default No internal flash range data

:evil: Shame on Panasonic. It seems FZ10 has a weak internal flash, like FZ1, for such a big camera. It doesn't list its internal flash range in its brochure.
maylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:36 PM   #19

Flash range
fz1 6ft
fz10 13ft
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:06 PM   #20

Default What is the Availability date for the DMC-FZ10 in the U.S.?

Now that it's November, is there a more specific Availability date for the DMC-FZ10 in the U.S.?
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote