Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:21 PM   #11

Yes Scrench, that s really a steal... pity (for those who mean to do HD) that it only compresses to the MOV-quicktime format :-(

Thanks Hank, I think I d take it:
god knows I d like to save these 350-400E for a new lens (intend to take a tele costing more than 1000E, for my 40D) but I really need the FZ28.
That seems to have a better Auto WB than FZ20 (FZ5 was one of the best in that) and also Temperature kelvin adj and 2 Manual WB storages (FZ20 had only one).

Then I also have 2 spare batteries from FZ20 which SHOULD be useful in the 28 (???) and all the SD memory cards...

Francesco

http://www.francescoraffaele.com

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:45 PM   #12

Here is another FZ-28 photo-

The camera just arrived, so I was doing a test to see how well the FZ-28 would quench the camera's built-in flash (because the FZ-28 is supposed to have a more powerful built-in flash)in a macro or close-up shot. Looks like it passed with flying colors.

It looks like Narmer is correct, the FZ-28 is going to be the FZ-series leader from here on in. I was quite surpised it how small the FZ-28 was when compared to my FZ-50.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:04 PM   #13

Hey Sarah,

Thanks for joining in on this discussion. Since you have an FZ50 and a FZ28, any possibility of you taking identical photos with each camera for comparisons?

Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:57 PM   #14

OK Scrench-

Here is exactly the same photo setup, but this time using the FZ-50, instead of the FZ-28 camera. If you compare the two images the IQ of both camerasare fairly close.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:50 PM   #15

Sarah,

The brighter FZ50 shot gives the impression that it has sharper IQ, but I'm not so sure. The angle is slightly different too, so some of the reflections are different. Did you shoot these in jpeg or RAW? Perhaps a couple more (?), same lighting, angles, jpeg, and RAW? Be careful though if you try to shoot RAW+jpeg with the 28. I've read that it defaults to the "normal" quality jpeg instead of "fine". It sounds like straight RAW is the way to go. I don't know about the 50. Those Truffels are making me hungry!

Thank you for helping all of us out with the buying decisions we are now faced with. As far as I know, you are the only person on 2 forums to have taken shots with both cameras for comparison, and you will definitely be first if you do some RAW. You may be starting an avalanche here!

Thanks,
Scrench

Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:19 PM   #16

Nope, Scrench-

My husband and I have a dinner engagement. So sorry, but no more photos. You have the FZ-50, give it a go, Scrench.

Tomorrow, we have to pack as we head off on Monday for another 2 month long contract where I teach digital cameras on cruise ships. We have done that for the last 12 years. It is a great jig for somebody who is retired.

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:23 PM   #17

Hey Hank,

How did the weekend go? Can't wait to see some pics.

Sarah, no, I don't have an FZ50. I've never owned a Panasonic which is why I'm asking all these questions.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:52 PM   #18

I also am very intrigued with the newest Panasonic model. I am curious to know what kind of noise it produces in low light outside with no flash. I enjoy taking pictures of buildings and landscapes at night. If someone could take a sample pic and post it that would be great. Otherwise I'll just have to wait, like everyone else, for one of the review websites to complete their reviews.
Moongoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:39 PM   #19

Hi Moongoddess,

There is one review already at Photography Blog, and it looks to me like many of their sample shots were taken at dusk.

Thanks for joining the discussion.