Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1

Today I took delivery of a new FZ28....which I needed like a hole in my head with a DSLR already, in addition to Panasonic digicams like the TZ5, FZ50 and access to an "older" FZ8, but these Panasonic cameras are getting, in my opinion, better and better in terms of image quality, combined with what's always been good handling and that's even better with the FZ28 compared to the FZ8.

I was able to squeeze off a few images outside the office windows prior to leaving and then made a couple of stops on the way home. I'm still fiddling with the various in-camera settings as far as sharpening/contrast/noise reduction, etc, and learning some of the newer features and buttons so I can operate the camera by feel while my eye isup to the finder.

Having seen some comments about the "downgraded" EVF, this was my only real concern, but after having set the diopter for my vision, I have to say, as a wearer of glasses, there's no issue with the finder as far as I am concerned. I have no problem seeing the entire screen and the view is plenty clear.

I'll be postingall my FZ28images in this folder as I use the camera..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...9_jk7Ko#P-1-15

Here are a few I particularly liked from this evening..

Here's a shot at the 27mm wide angle end..

Then zoomed in to the maximum 486mm tele end..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:49 AM   #2

A superlative cam... result to seem to match the claims... I feel Panasonic FZ series is an addictive

Liu
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

Some nice shots, on your website also. Were these just regular jpeg's on automatic or what? Also, something I have yet to see anywhere is a sample of RAW shots. Photographyblog has some, but I don't have a program to convert them. Could you possibly share a few? Lastly, the 1280x720 video is supposed to be nice, but the audio crappy. Your opinion?

Thanks (About to join the ranks of FZ28 owners),
Scrench
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:34 PM   #4

Hi Scrench! Thanks.

Haven't tried the video yet. I've shot a RAW file or two and have downloaded the new version of Silkypix that came with the camera, but have only messed with a couple of RAW files. Haven't had a lot of time to do much RAW shooting yet and need to get a little more familiar with this newer software before I can probably do the files justice.

Theimages posted here were all JPEG's shot in either program or aperture priority. I've also been messing with the in-camera parameters and couldn't tell you right now which ones were shot with which setup. I'm shooting right now with sharpening and contrast both set to +1 and noise reduction set to -1 and seem to like the results.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:22 AM   #5

Greg,

Thanks for posting those great pics for the Z28. I am wondering how the auto focus does-can you try and post a few? Thanks again.Also, how is the weight and ergonomics?

/s/ pics.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:34 PM   #6

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

Thanks for posting those great pics for the Z28. I am wondering how the auto focus does-can you try and post a few? Thanks again.Also, how is the weight and ergonomics?

/s/ pics.
The weight is nothing, honestly. These cameras weight nothing. I'm carrying it right now in a Lowepro bag I already had that's really too big and it's like the bag's got nothing in it. I'll be getting something else that's smaller yet has room for maybe extra batteries/cards/etc.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The ergonomics are very good. You have to learn where the buttons are so it can be used easily while the finder is up to the eye, but manipulating all the controls are easyand the button to controlexposure compensation or the toggle switch for the quick menu, macro/manual focus, etc.,are logically placed.

I've seen nothing about the AF system to complain about. It does a very good job and there's tons of options as far as picking what points you want to use or where you want to placethe focus point(s)on the screen.

What exactly is it you want meto post?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:11 PM   #7

Greg,

Thanks much for reply. I looked at your Smug pics which are great also. I enlarged to original size the dogwood tree (if that's what it is) and saw the right hand side was blurry and not sharp like most of the pic. Left side was okay which surprised me.

I just wanted a few pics taken in auto focus mode to see if they would be sharp too. Sometimes I have read on reviews and comments that auto focus is not as sharp as it could/should be. I suppose most of the time it has to do with the photographer. If you take any auto focus pics could you take one wide and one tele shot of anything? No problem if you don't. Thanks again. Have fun with your new cam.

Pics.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:56 PM   #8

picsgalore wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

Thanks much for reply. I looked at your Smug pics which are great also. I enlarged to original size the dogwood tree (if that's what it is) and saw the right hand side was blurry and not sharp like most of the pic. Left side was okay which surprised me.

Hi Pics.

I'm trying to figure out which image it isyou arelooking at. Can you tell me which picture # it is out of the 39 images I've uploaded so far to that folder?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:25 PM   #9

Greg,

Sorry but I missed the other two pages and thought there was only one page with one bush or tree pic. It's #15 of 39 with red berries on bottom of first page in right hand corner of the thumbs.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:24 PM   #10

OK, I see now which one you are talking about...

The difference in sharpness from one side to the other has to do with one side being further back than the other. These were not all in the same plane of focusand I intentionally focussed on the closer side. Even though the sensor is smaller, since I used a longer focal length and the aperture was f3.7, there is a softening in the area beyond where i focussed. Had I used my DSLR with a tele lens and focussed on the same area, the more distant leaves would have been even more out of focus.

This nextone's the same way, just on a larger scale. The building to the side,beyond the banners and slightly out of focusis around6-7 city blocks beyond the banners. I used the tele zoom to compress the scene and make them look much closer than they really are. The smaller sensors on these cameras makes it harder to do a better job of separating zones within a scene. Sometimes I like that, sometimes I don't..