Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:25 PM   #1

Default Olympus 2100 vs. FZ1 - Oly wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!

I've had a Oly 2100 for the past 2 years and it's served me well......but with the FZ10 coming with the promise of more pixels, I thought I'd compare my 2100 to the FZ1 (since it's basically the same camera with less pixels)......to see how it faired.

I'm going to be upfront with you here, I consider myself an amateur photographer, so if you feel differently about my observations, please feel free to chime in and share your insight with me

1. Fit and Finish: Both are made of plastic, but the FZ1 feels cheap in comparison. The 2100 is also much easier to hold, since you can rest one hand under the lens and the other on a MUCH nicer grip. The FZ1 is smaller, which allows you to fit it in a smaller bag, and weighs less, but as far as I'm concerned both are not pocket cameras, and so a smaller bag size with the FZ1 over my shoulder is not really a big improvement for me.

2. Manual controls: No comparison here. The 2100 has full manual controls, the FZ1 does not.

3. Batteries: The 2100 takes AA batteries, which are cheaper and much more readily available. I haven't compared them, but supposedly the FZ1 batteries last longer. Anyone compared the FZ1's proprietary batteries to the new 2300mah (& higher) batteries let me know.

4. Viewfinder and LCD: The 2100 has both a bigger viewfinder and bigger LCD.

5. Outdoor image quality: I took the same pictures with both cameras and found the 2100 to be some what better. In particualr, the FZ1 displayed some grain on action shots using full zoom, while the 2100 did not.

And most importantly..................

6. Low Light Capability: No contest! I took some indoor pictures with and without the flash. The FZ1 only has a flash range of 6-7 feet compared to the 2100 12-13 feet and it really showed. Even though there were some lights on in the house, the FZ1 pictures were VERY dark. Even when I made sure all the lights were turned on, the 2100 pictures were still brighter, had less grain, and were sharper. The included AF infrared assist on the 2100 really helped out here. I've been able to take the 2100 into a dark cave and have with that flash and infrared beam I've come away with some good pics.

After comparing the 2 indoors, I can't imagine how you FZ1 users could be getting good pictures indoors, unless the room is extremely bright. Are you adjusting any settings within the camera? Has anyone else compared these 2 cameras in low light situations???????

In summary, if I were looking to buy a new camera and was deciding between the 2100 and the FZ1, the only reasons why I can see someone would want the FZ1 is that it's nearly impossible to buy a new 2100 these days. You have to buy used on eBay. And the FZ1 can be had for under $400 new. Again, it's also smaller (but see my comments above) and has a slightly larger 12x zoom.

But my comparison was really done in hopes of upgrading to a better camera once the FZ10 comes out. Assuming it's going to be very similar to the FZ1, except the added pixels, it now appears as if I'll be holding onto my 2100 for quite some time. I can live with all the other gripes listed above, but not the POOR low light performance (in comparison to the 2100) of the FZ1 and most likely the FZ10. I must be spoiled with the infrared AF assist on the 2100!

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. I'd especially like to hear from others who have compared the 2100 to the FZ1, and from those FZ1 users who are getting good pictures in low light situations.

Thanks,
Ekimzulad
Ekimzulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:01 PM   #2

Well you've posted this same message not only here but on the Oly and Panasonic forums on Phil's too. Might as well post it on Dave's too while your at it.... :shock:

http://www.onlinephotographers.com/yabbse/index.php
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:35 PM   #3

Well, I'm really interested in getting people's opinions on this, so I thought it wise to cover my bases.
Ekimzulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:07 PM   #4

Default satisfactions

A lot of people is satisfied with his camera.
I'm very, very satisfied with my FZ1 at the moment (future FZ10 and surely LC1).
I don't need to compare it with others cameras. I know very well it's qualities and lacks.
The diference?

The pleasure to take shots with it.
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 5:37 PM   #5

Default My Two Cents

I have had both cameras and I can say tha my percentage of very good photos was much higher with the 2100UZ. It was, in fact hard to miss.....but and it is a BIG But...it does not mean that some other photographer could not do equally well with the FZ1.

Since the 2100UZ is no longer manufactured let's all hope that the FZ10 will be a great camera?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:07 PM   #6

The crucial thing to remember is that the Oly 2100 was designed to be a $1000+ camera. It was a kick-butt camera (ignoring the horrible SDS design flaw that led to the premature death of thousands of cameras). The Panasonic cameras are designed to be MUCH cheaper than the 2100. The 2100 didn't get much attention until Oly slashed the price to get rid of them. Oly got burned because people won't pay for quality (and have an idiotic, brain-dead obsession with megapixels, among many other things).

(edited to correct typo)
Chromudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:38 AM   #7

Default Re: Olympus 2100 vs. FZ1 - Oly wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekimzulad
But my comparison was really done in hopes of upgrading to a better camera once the FZ10 comes out. Assuming it's going to be very similar to the FZ1, except the added pixels, it now appears as if I'll be holding onto my 2100 for quite some time.
Basicly the same camera??? Did you do some research AT ALL???

I'll give you only the facts that is uses a physical larger CCD, has a larger LCD and has lots of manual controls, the rest you should figure out yourself.
stefimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:10 PM   #8

I have the c2100uz and am going to get an fz10 when it arrives in the UK. I will consider this an upgrade.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:55 AM   #9

Default Re: Olympus 2100 vs. FZ1 - Oly wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!

Quote:
3. Batteries: The 2100 takes AA batteries, which are cheaper and much more readily available. I haven't compared them, but supposedly the FZ1 batteries last longer. Anyone compared the FZ1's proprietary batteries to the new 2300mah (& higher) batteries let me know.
FZ1 is very strong on the supplied LiIon battery. And it has one major advantage over NiMH: true memory effect free!

Quote:
4. Viewfinder and LCD: The 2100 has both a bigger viewfinder and bigger LCD.
Motions on 2100's EVF/LCD are a bit jerky. FZ1's are smooth and sharp BUT very dim when low ISO is used.

Quote:
5. Outdoor image quality: I took the same pictures with both cameras and found the 2100 to be some what better. In particualr, the FZ1 displayed some grain on action shots using full zoom, while the 2100 did not.
FZ1 will need a bright sunny day to produce excellent photos. Cloudy days are not much better than indoors.

Quote:
6. Low Light Capability: No contest! I took some indoor pictures with and without the flash. The FZ1 only has a flash range of 6-7 feet compared to the 2100 12-13 feet and it really showed. Even though there were some lights on in the house, the FZ1 pictures were VERY dark. Even when I made sure all the lights were turned on, the 2100 pictures were still brighter, had less grain, and were sharper. The included AF infrared assist on the 2100 really helped out here. I've been able to take the 2100 into a dark cave and have with that flash and infrared beam I've come away with some good pics.
FZ1 is totally out here!!

Quote:
In summary, if I were looking to buy a new camera and was deciding between the 2100 and the FZ1, the only reasons why I can see someone would want the FZ1 is that it's nearly impossible to buy a new 2100 these days. You have to buy used on eBay. And the FZ1 can be had for under $400 new. Again, it's also smaller (but see my comments above) and has a slightly larger 12x zoom.
The reason I 'upgraded' from 2100 to FZ1 was: 'better' lens (is it??), smaller size, slightly longer zoom, uses SD (compatible with my Pocket PC)... but all these didn't make up for the lost in picture quality. My heart sank when I saw the very first indoor shot I tested eagerly.

Quote:
But my comparison was really done in hopes of upgrading to a better camera once the FZ10 comes out. Assuming it's going to be very similar to the FZ1, except the added pixels, it now appears as if I'll be holding onto my 2100 for quite some time. I can live with all the other gripes listed above, but not the POOR low light performance (in comparison to the 2100) of the FZ1 and most likely the FZ10. I must be spoiled with the infrared AF assist on the 2100!
If you don't mind the 2MP and bulk of the 2100, I can tell you it's the best!!!
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote