Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Ihad the fz28 camera and own the fz18 the fz28 has gone back i feel that the fz18 is a better camera .
Yes the iso maybe slightly better at 800 and 1600 but i have tried the fz18 with the picture setting to +2 noise and the +1 contrast and the black writing seems darker to me and i found that the auto white balance is not as good as the fz18 either.
The eye piece is half the size of the fz18 somthing that you would get used to in time and use.
It seems to have more blow outs like in the clouds etc whether its maybe a faulty camera or not i dont know.
so im sticking with my lovely fz18
jeanette62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2

I'm very happy with my FZ18 too, jeanette. The FZ28 was about £40 more expensive than the FZ18 when I bought it and I didn't think the marginal (to me) improvements were worth the price difference and I do set a lot of store on a good EVF.

One respected reviewer wrote that the FZ18 WANTS you to go out and take pictures!

Indeed it does and I've yet to take a technically poor pic in over 1,000 so far - we won't talk about artistic aspects!

I have nine digicams and if circumstances arose where I could keep only one, it would be the FZ18 and that's the highest accolade I can give it.

Best wishes, Alma R.
Almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:25 AM   #3

I also own both the FZ-18 and the FZ-28. After shooting with the FZ-28 for a month, I am just the opposite. I much prefer the FZ-28 to the FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 1:03 PM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I also own both the FZ-18 and the FZ-28. After shooting with the FZ-28 for a month, I am just the opposite. I much prefer the FZ-28 to the FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce
I skipped the FZ18, but have been using the FZ28 now for a couple of weeks and really like it a lot. The improvements over the FZ8 are quite amazing but expected, having used the TZ5 and its'severaladditions ofnewer technologythat I figured would maketheir way onto the FZ28. I especially like being able to apply the intelligent exposure optionin levels, and ISO 400 seems like a very useable setting...I'm not seeing those ugly yellow blotches at that setting anymore. They do creep in at ISO 800 so I pretty much limit myself to ISO 400, but that alone makes this a much more versatile camera than the FZ8.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Hi Folks,

I have the FZ18 and I'm very pleased with it.I got my wife the TZ4 and as mentioned it has some feature enhancements in face detect and other minor stuff.

But one thing in particular caught my attention- in Movie mode the TZ4 allows zoom andupdates thefocus while recording. Since I feel those functions are key to the Movie mode, I was considering the FZ28 if it has that. Can one of you FZ28 owners confirm?

Thanks very much,

Mike
BoostMasterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:25 PM   #6

I've an fz18 and I love it. I bought it in Feb. and have 230,000 clicks on it. Unfortunately it's fallen a couple of times(first from a loose pack but only a couple of feet and the last I was using a Bogan tripod when a leg collapsed) and the last cracked the case and sometimes I have to use forceps to get the lens out (once out however it works like a champ). I have to be careful when cleaning the lens just to gently swab off. Don't ask me why I don't use a UV filter as the front has popped off (with the last fall)and the lens just hangs out there, and I use it with the tele-converter almost all the time. I've taken some exceptional photos but my time with it is coming to an end. I'd try to buy an fz18 new somewhere but can get an fz28 at B&H for seriously cheap. Actually $50 less than the fz18 cost. So I'm looking forward to using an fz28.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:01 PM   #7

BoostMasterK wrote:
Quote:
Hi Folks,

But one thing in particular caught my attention- in Movie mode the TZ4 allows zoom andupdates thefocus while recording. Since I feel those functions are key to the Movie mode, I was considering the FZ28 if it has that. Can one of you FZ28 owners confirm?

Yes, the FZ28 does allow zooming in movie mode and will alsocontinuously autofocus.

The zoom mechanism is slower in movie mode. When shooting stills, you have theoptionofboth a slow, more exact zoomingand afaster zoom mode to get from one end of the range to the other. Shooting movies, the slow zoom looks to be the only option, and it looks to me like you need to take care in not zooming all the way from one extreme end of the zoom range to the other, as doing so can cause the camera to take a split second longer in adjusting focus, giving you short bit of out-of-focus footageuntil the camera gets th focus right. Conservative moves in zooming probably would go a long way in keeping that from happening.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #8

I had the FZ18 and thought it was a good camera (aside the high noise at any ISO above 200). I sold it for monetary reasons. I just bought the FZ28 yesterday (I was debating whether I should get the LX3 instead but the 2.5x optical zoom is too limiting for me. Perhaps next year once prices come down. As for the FZ28, the ability to zoom in/out in movie mode is awesome and the fact that it zooms slowly is certainly good since it gives the camera enough time to keep the image in focus. The trick is not to zoom too much on a subject that is too close to the camera or you will loose focus. From what I've read, the FZ28 has a better DR (less highlight clipping) than the FZ18. So, we'll see!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:38 AM   #9

Thanks for the feedback, I ended up buying the FZ-28 this week and I'm very pleased with it. And like someone posted, it ended up costing less than the FZ-18 I bought months ago :?Aside from the focus in Movie mode, there are several other minor upgrades that really add up to make it more useful to me. Plus the learning curve was short because it's so similar.

One thing of note, in both cameras I had trouble with pics being a little fuzzy in iA mode...even with flash and enough light.I created my own "Custom 1" on the FZ-18 and tweaked the parameters a bit to get it sharper. I duplicated those Custom settings to theFZ-28. On the 28you can add Intelligent ISO and Intelligent Exposure to your Custom program so Idid...andthe fuzziness returned. When I removed both, the images sharpened up again.

When I have more time I will experiment to isolate which is the problem. I'm no photographer but I'm guessing the iExposure is not giving enough depth of field somuch of the imageis not in perfect focus(?) Dunno.

I might start a thread for folks to post their Custom settings :-)

Mike
BoostMasterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:32 PM   #10

The new thread for "custom settings" idea is a good one. Go for it and start by posting the settings you find best for this camera. When I had the FZ18, I also had to tweak sharpness, contrast, saturation AND NR (a setting that really affects image sharpness) to my taste. I prefer images that look sharp right out of the camera so I don't have to spend too much time in front of the computer doing PP. I'm curious as to what degree the FZ28 defers from the FZ18. I never used any of the i modes because of what you just suggested...IQ was not to my liking.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote