Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:14 PM   #1

hi all,

up to last few days have always taken RAW and edited in silkypixand have been pleased with results -I edit in silky and always have to increase sharpness and contrast - convert to tif and do the rest in paint shop pro 7 changing to jpg for websites etc. I have now been taking jpg images (fine) in the camera and i must say that the quality is as good as and in some cases better than my previous efforts! the shapness is superb and doesn't need increasing and the contrast is a lot better (to my eye and my screen). Am i missing something with the RAW thing or is the in-camera processing better than i imagined? or more likely better than my understanding of silkypix! Would appreciate any input on this and what conditions you think RAW should be used.

mikey

mikeysaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:34 PM   #2

I always figured That the best chance for me to get the best photo with a Panasonic camera was to shoot a burst or at the least several photos......So I find RAW to be a poor choice as the write time is too long.

I have seen excellent shots that others took in RAW ,but only they know if it was better than they would have got with a JPEG......my feeling its not much, if any better.

Now with my Nikon cameras I shoot RAW all the time, as I give up nothing to do so, and Nikon has a software that understands their RAW format, making adjuustments very simple, if any adjustments are needed at all.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:10 PM   #3

hi genece,

i think you told me several posts ago not to go too much on the RAW thing and i must say you were right - i have tried burst mode and it can't catch up!! I will now do next sessions on jpg and see how it goes - thanks for input.

mikey
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:10 PM   #4

hi genece,

i think you told me several posts ago not to go too much on the RAW thing and i must say you were right - i have tried burst mode and it can't catch up!! I will now do next sessions on jpg and see how it goes - thanks for input.

mikey