Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Speed of the Panasonic SD cards

Is there any speed difference between the 256MB and the 512MB Panasonic SD cards?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:36 AM   #2

Panasonic's SD cards are unique in that our read / write / copy speed actually increases with the size of the card. This is not "a given" with other cards.

With digital still cams (DSC's) even the slowest speed of the 8 / 16 / 32 MB cards allows them to work just fine - even in burst mode - with no degradation in performance. Buying a larger card, with faster specs, will not improve the performance of the digital camera.

So by now you are wondering why are they faster. Well you may have heard that we've introduced some other products, like our DVD recorders, that are capable of recording both MPEG2 and MPEG4 video to an SD card. To record MPEG2 video in real time the higher speed is required, as is the larger size.

Hope this answers your question.
Thanks!
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 8:58 AM   #3

:?: So do I understand this correctly - a 256MB SD card in a brand other than Panasonic with a transfer rate of 2MB/sec would work as well as a SD card with 10MB/sec rate, even in the Megaburst mode on the FZ10?
Brooks Sills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 9:19 AM   #4

Yes - the burst mode is designed around the origial spec of the SD card(s) 8 / 16 / 32 MB. Our testing, using other brands, did not show any performance variations.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Panasonic's SD cards are unique in that our read / write / copy speed actually increases with the size of the card. This is not "a given" with other cards.

With digital still cams (DSC's) even the slowest speed of the 8 / 16 / 32 MB cards allows them to work just fine - even in burst mode - with no degradation in performance. Buying a larger card, with faster specs, will not improve the performance of the digital camera.

So by now you are wondering why are they faster. Well you may have heard that we've introduced some other products, like our DVD recorders, that are capable of recording both MPEG2 and MPEG4 video to an SD card. To record MPEG2 video in real time the higher speed is required, as is the larger size.

Hope this answers your question.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, it does not.

My original question was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Is there any speed difference between the 256MB and the 512MB Panasonic SD cards?
The specs for the Panasonic 256MB and the 512MB SD cards say 10MB/sec in both cases. So, is there any other speed difference between them?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:00 PM   #6

Do to the design, yes a 512MB card is slightly faster than a 256MB card. This design specification also includes the increased time it would normally take to increase larger blocks of memory. I can't verify, but expect that the speed will continue to increase as the cards get larger.

The speed increase will not be realized in still photography, only in MPEG2.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Do to the design, yes a 512MB card is slightly faster than a 256MB card. This design specification also includes the increased time it would normally take to increase larger blocks of memory.
Thanks Bob.

Could you point me to a spec with some numbers so I can quantify the difference and decide whether it is worth it to me?

Quote:
The speed increase will not be realized in still photography, only in MPEG2.
Can one assume that external card readers will be able to utilize the increased speed as well?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 6:30 AM   #8

Default The Function of the Speed

For Panasonic SD Card, there is only 3 type of transfer speed(on byte, not bit); 2MB/sec, 10MB/sec & 20MB/sec. For SD card range from 8MB-128MB the speed only up to 2MB/sec, and for 256MB & 512MB, the max speed is 10MB/sec. The highest speed, 20MB/sec will be available for 1GB & above SD card. I got this information from my bro who is working in Matsushita Japan(Panasonic parent company). As far as I know, the speed only can be notice when recording on high speed video, for example MPEG2 which require min 3MB/sec transfer rate and I've test in on Panasonic latest SD Card Video Camera, SV-AV100EN post-production set. If use on 25fps MPEG2, you will notice it need 6MB/sec transfer rate and so far there is no other brand SD card has this speed. It is true on what the previous statement says not much different on burst mode, as long as it is an SD card.
davwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
Do to the design, yes a 512MB card is slightly faster than a 256MB card. This design specification also includes the increased time it would normally take to increase larger blocks of memory.
Thanks Bob.

Could you point me to a spec with some numbers so I can quantify the difference and decide whether it is worth it to me?
The obvious answer would be that it will not be worth it to you unless you intend to by a video device that will record in MPEG2 video format.

I think we're over-blasting Panasonic Bob with requests for overly specific information, when he is already providing well above the information we could get from any other source. Please don't chase him away from this forum! I, as well as others I'm sure, would miss him greatly.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:13 AM   #10

In an earlier message, the following was stated: "For Panasonic SD Card, there is only 3 type of transfer speed(on byte, not bit); 2MB/sec, 10MB/sec & 20MB/sec. For SD card range from 8MB-128MB the speed only up to 2MB/sec, and for 256MB & 512MB, the max speed is 10MB/sec. The highest speed, 20MB/sec will be available for 1GB & above SD card. I got this information from my bro who is working in Matsushita Japan(Panasonic parent company). "

<Response>
This is correct in that they are placed into three groups. However, the actual measured speeds for read / write / copy will vary with the size of the card - the larger the faster. The three groups simply qualify the minimum group they fall into. To the best of my knowledge, at this time the consortium that sets the SD card standards has not publically listed the speeds for each card / manufacturer.

Again, I must say that when use with DSC's for capturing still images, a "faster" card is not going to inctrease performance. The serial interface used is based on one speed. You decision should be based on size and cost.