Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:14 AM   #1

Today I capture a wide angle (27mm) photo at 10mp from my house balcony and compare it with shot at 864mm at 3 megapixel for comparison.

Attached are the photos :

rontth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:37 AM   #2

Zoom at 864mm from the same spot at 3 megapixel.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3

Many apologies for the repetition of mail.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4

Quite impressive isn't it! I've not gone down to the 3MP setting yet, just the 5MP, which yields a 692mm focal length.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:28 PM   #5

Amazing detail! took me a min to work out where the close up was in the first picture. incredible.
(Out of curiosity, where abouts do you live? purely curious as it looks so damn clean and neat, :-)).

Can you only get that kind of zoom then at the lower resolutions? could you not get the same 32x at 10Mp?

woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:34 PM   #6

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:

Can you only get that kind of zoom then at the lower resolutions? could you not get the same 32x at 10Mp?

wood
The full 10MP resolution is "only"(!) good out to 18x, or 489mm. If you shoot RAW, that's it, you can't use the extended optical zoom at lower resolutions. You can always convert the RAW to a JPEG and crop, but to get above 18x in-camera, you have to be shooting JPEG capture.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:14 PM   #7

Yes, I find this camera capabilities amazing myself,especially doing handheld shot at 864mm (aperture 4.4 wow even canon 800mmprime lensaperture is 5.6,yes the image quality is not there when compared to prime and it is only 3mp but for general usage I think it is ok).

I normally print my photos at 4R and 5R so I guess 3mpmightsuffice for such situation.

Although I rarely use this range for taking photos, it's nice to know it's there when you need it.

By the way I live in Singapore.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:16 PM   #8

Excellent Job Rontth.

Do you have any other photos or movie clips? I'm trying to figure out if there are inconsistencies in the image quality of the FZ28's currently being produced. Of course there are always a few bad cameras, but some owners of this camera are posting shots they are proud of that just look so-so at best (not yours, yours are nice and sharp, which is why I beleive you may have a good one, and why I want to see more of your photos).

Sometimes I see wonderful, crisp shots posted, and sometimes not. I know, I know, it could be the user, but as more images made by this camera come out, I have to wonder. It's not like the FZ50, where just about any photo I've ever seen taken by it ranged from good to excellent. I'm seeing FZ28 images that could be described as bad, with flower macro shots in the lead as far as lack of sharpness. But as I stated in another thread, maybe I'm just expecting too much from this camera. I really wanted it to have the IQ of the 50, but with a smaller sensor, I guess it just isn't possible.

Your Thoughts?
Thanks,
Scrench

Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:59 AM   #9

Some handphones photos (Nokia N95) :

Singapore Pasir Ris beach (it's going to rain)

Evening drizzle

Dessert

Pasir Ris

Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:27 AM   #10

Hi Scrench,

Thanks for your interest , at the moment I do not have many photos to show as I got this camera a few days ago. I will be travelling to Beijing next month for a short holiday by then I should be able toupload more photographs when I get back.

Thanks,

Rontth