Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:38 PM   #1

I just purchased a Quantaray QF30 for my Nikon D40. While I may never have a real need to use this flash on my old Panasonic Lumix FZ-20, I'm still curious... Would the flash still work on this camera, or would either the camera or flash become damaged from using it? I know the camera won't support TTL or anything...
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:30 AM   #2

It is a new enough flash that there should be no voltage issues. The problem you would have using the Quantaray QF30 with an FZ20 is it looks, from quickly glancing at various sites on the web that list the specs, to be only a TTL flash. If it offered a non-TTL auto or manualoption, you could use it either way with your FZ20.

Just trying it should not hurt. If it does anything, it may only fire a full power burst, meaning you'd need to know the guide number of the flash and would have to divide that number by the distance from the flash to subject to get the proper aperture to set on the camera that will give you a good exposure....in other words, it's the 1960's all over again!

There's always the possibility it won't do anything at all...hard to say. Without a non-TTL auto option, it willbe anything but convenient to use with your FZ20.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd give it a shot yesterday, but quickly found out it wouldn't work. While I didn't try to force it too hard, the mount simply wouldn't fit on my Panasonic's shoe. Since it doesn't seem to be the most durible plastic, I didn't care to force it too hard, but it does appear to be a tad bit taller or something... Oh well, it's nothing really major.

One of the main reasons I purchased this Panasonic a few years back was because of the flash shoe. I figured it'd be nice to actually get some use out of it at some point ^^;
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4

That's weird that it wouldn't fit. Nikon's TTL shoe and flash foot are your standard fare. I know of folks using flash units like the older NikonSB28 and Newer SB800 with Panasonic cameras like the LX3.

When you mount a flash units to a cameras hot shoe, there is a lock that you tighten to keep the flash from falling out of the shoe. If it is "set" before trying to mount the flash, it's possible the flash will not be able to be mounted. I'd check to make sure that lock was not set. That's about the only reason I could think of that it might not be able to be put into the FZ50's hot shoe, unless there's something different about the FZ50's shoe compared to later Panasonic models.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:26 PM   #5

I don't know if I should try a bit harder or not... I don't want to break the flash, but it just doesn't seem like it'll work... The lock is all the way up. Just once the shoe starts to slip in, it kind of gets stuck and I have to yank it back off.

I have used other flashes on my Pansonic; both were from the 80s and some old SLRs I was given. So, I know it's nothing too out of the ordinary. Eh, but again, it's not a big deal. Since I've got the Nikon, I don't really use the Panasoanic much anymore. If I do, it's for a spare camera, so I doubt I'd even have the flash handy.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:22 AM   #6

I do not understand it not fitting, as my SB800 fits my FZ20.....but it does not fire....I am pretty sure I remember reading that you need to tape all the contacts but the center one on a Nikon flash..... but I never tried that, as I have a 383.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote