Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1

I'm really liking the results I'mstarting tosee fromFZ28 files processed in Silkypix now that I've got some settings where I like, especially at ISO settings above the base ISO 100. These were shot between ISO 200-400 today..

This is ISO 400..

ISO 250..

ISO 200..

These next images are part of an arrangement at the office where I just used the available light at ISO 400..

Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:30 PM   #2

greg
as always you take some fantastic shots
liked the shot with those little berries and the compostion on the lily
the flowers had brilliant colours too
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3

Greg,

Nice clear photos you got there, even those ISO400 shots looks good.
rontth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:57 PM   #4

I have been pleasantly suprised at how well ISO 400 images can be handled in the RAW converter. Yesterday evening before the sun went down I shot in an area where I had to start at ISO 400 and it went progressively down from there to where I wound up with some at ISO 500, 640 and even 800. Considering these were from a P&S and not a DSLR, I'll glady take the results compared to what's been possible with past Panasonic cameras..

ISO 500..

ISO 640..

ISO 800..

These are some moreISO 400 images I took yesterday during a mid-day walk when I wondered into Cathedral Guadelupe here in Dallas..

Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:46 AM   #5

Very nice, especially those high ISO shots. You are getting me tempted. That aster at ISO 250 has some rich color. They all do, but that one especially.
Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:40 PM   #6

Hi Greg,

Yes these shots and the hockey game stuff look pretty good, but I still think the very best shots you've gotten so far out of this camera are from the State Fair - Texas/Oklahoma game on your Smugmug site, and they were all shot in jpeg. Now that you have several RAW examples sitting right next to them on your site, it's easy to compare. I know RAW is supposed to be, and technically should be superior to jpeg, but so far, I just don't see it. Those State Fair shots will probably be the ones that convince me that this camera is capable of near FZ50 quality, and to buy it. If not blown up too much, (large to extra large, compared to x3 for the 50) they look just as good.

I know you've been working a lot with Silkypik to get the RAW's looking good, and I'm sure there are an infinite amount of adjusments that could be made, but maybe you need to take a step back for a minute and review just how good those earlier photos were. Just an idea. I'm all for you figuring out how to get the most out of this camera, and myself and everyone else watching you play with it are definitely priveledged that you allow us to be a part of it.

Thanks
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:10 AM   #7

The camera's autoexposure system did do an exceptional job that day in varying light. I'm going, not this weekend, but next weekend, to Lubbock, Texas to both see my daughter who is in school at Texas Tech University,and to see Texas Tech play Oklahoma State. Should be an extremely entertaining game, and I'll be taking the FZ28 there too. I don't know right now whether it will be a day or night game....they keep us waiting to see what network will want to carry the game. Could be 11am, 7pm, or any time in between.

The intelligent exposure feature, which is only active during JPEG capture, works greatin capturing detail in both the shadows as well as retaining highlight detail.

While I do very much enjoy working RAW files, I cannot argue with the results the JPEG engine is now giving with these newer cameras. Once you hit the ISO 800 mark, the yellow splotches that were evident in ISO 400 files from my TZ5 and, from what I've heard, ISO 400 files from the FZ18, start appearing again in FZ28 files. Still, a solid ISO 100-400 performance is nothing to snear at. The right thing to dois probablyto shoot JPEG with an ISO 400 ceiling. Once shutter speeds get too low for even ISO 400, manually up it to 800 and go to RAW. You'll have some grain to deal with, but no yellowing in the light-colored details.

The other area where I think shooting RAW makes sense is in capturing foliage and other subjects where you can have varying shades of reds and purples. The sensor just doesn't seem consistently capable ofrendering the "right" colorshades with certain colors,but I'll add to be fair, this is not the only digital camera where I've experienced this with certain colors.At times I'll shoot something and it comes out blue when the thing is really a deep shade of purple, or red detail will sometimes look more orange. The RAW converter has many, many color and white balance settings that allow you to get the correct color back in those subjects.

Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:31 PM   #8

Greg,

Sounds like the networks are as confused as the BCS computers.

Shooting lower ISO 100-400 in jpeg, and above in RAW, sounds like a reasonable plan.

I agree completely with color shifts. I've owned Canons and Nikons, and each seems to favor different shading, especially noticeable in flower macros. Speaking of which, that is still the only Acheilles heel I see in the FZ28, the ability to get razor-sharp macros. I'm wondering if its because it has such a shallow DOF? Maybe just a tiny portion of what's focused on is actually in-focus (depth-wise)? The only good ones I see are using accessory lens, but those too seem to have limited DOF, especially Bhoken shots. Seems to me the 28 should be able to do it on it's own.

Have you worked with any of the noise eliminating programs like Noise Ninja? Maybe that will help with the higher ISO shots, but I don't know what to do about the smearing.

Have fun at the game.
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 1:20 PM   #9

Scrench wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

Sounds like the networks are as confused as the BCS computers.
Quote:
Yep. They are always waiting for the results of the week before. If Tech happens to upset the Longhorns this weekend, next weeks' game with Oklahoma State will be huge and will probably land the game in prime time. If Tech loses, next Saturday's game may get only regional coverage and an 11am kickoff.
Quote:
Last year I had tickets to a game with a kickoff of 3pm. The Wednesday before the Saturdaygame, they changed the time to 11am, meaning I had to change my flight from Saturday morning to Friday night, book an extra night at the hotel, etc., etc. It was a nightmare as there were probably 10,000 otherfans coming in from out of towntrying to do the same thing, and this is Lubbock, not Dallas, when it comes to finding a lot of hotel rooms. Now, I always fly in Friday night to be on the safe side.
Quote:
This year, all of Tech's home games simply say "TBA" as game time, or"to be announced", so you can't assume anything.
Quote:

Shooting lower ISO 100-400 in jpeg, and above in RAW, sounds like a reasonable plan.

I agree completely with color shifts. I've owned Canons and Nikons, and each seems to favor different shading, especially noticeable in flower macros. Speaking of which, that is still the only Acheilles heel I see in the FZ28, the ability to get razor-sharp macros. I'm wondering if its because it has such a shallow DOF? Maybe just a tiny portion of what's focused on is actually in-focus (depth-wise)? The only good ones I see are using accessory lens, but those too seem to have limited DOF, especially Bhoken shots. Seems to me the 28 should be able to do it on it's own.
Quote:
The sharpness, front to back, in macros goes back to the focal length used. Even though it's a small sensor, if you use this to shoot a macro at 300-400mm or higher, you definitely will be dealing with very limited depth of focus....enough that some images will be sharp only in the precisearea where the focus was exact.
Quote:
In the overall zoom range, the areas where you can get closer than normal without accessoriesalso varies. You can focus really close at the wide end of the zoom range, then from something like 3x or 4x through the 10x area, the closefocusdistance is only something like 6 feet, then, starting around 11x and extending to the tele end, the close focus distance gets back to something like 3 feet or so. It would be better if you had a real macro ability in the 75-120mm range (35mm equivalent), but unfortunately, you don't at all....at least, not without using an accessory of some wort.

Have you worked with any of the noise eliminating programs like Noise Ninja? Maybe that will help with the higher ISO shots, but I don't know what to do about the smearing.
Quote:
I own Neat Image but never have been able to use it well. Can't find that good balance between eliminating noise and retaining the detail I want to keep.
Quote:
Owning the FZ50 and having seen the smearing you can get with in-camera JPEG's from ISO 400, I have to say Idon't really see that type smearing in colors from this camera, even in the higher ISO settings. It's really only in the lighter colored areas where you see these yellow-ish, almost vein-like structures in the image. Sometimes it's more pronounced than others.

Have fun at the game.
Quote:
I always do! Thanks.